Thread: Fur detaching from body

Default Fur detaching from body

I'm uncertain if I should panic about this or not !! Sabastion my 16 month old Northern Flying Squirrel came out to eat 3 days ago and I noticed a 1" patch of fur missing on his right side.
    Yesterday it was looking as if it was loosening up evenly away from his body in that area. There are no apparent sores or irritations and his appetite is activities haven't changed at all either. When he was a tiny baby he had a large section of fur missing on his lower back which ended up filling in so I'm uncertain if it is related at all.
    Love my little spoiled boy so if anyone at all knows what might be happening and how to treat it please let me know ! I'm trying to get a good picture to view .
    Thank you

Default Re: Fur detaching from body

Hi there! Welcome to TSB

There are a lot of reasons for fur loss but diet is the place to start so tell us what you are feeding daily including treats.

Also, what kind of enclosure is he in, what's his out of cage schedule, etc.

And take a photo, you can add one soon.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Mel1959 (03-23-2018), Toddy (03-23-2018)

Default Re: Fur detaching from body

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Hi there! Welcome to TSB

There are a lot of reasons for fur loss but diet is the place to start so tell us what you are feeding daily including treats.

Also, what kind of enclosure is he in, what's his out of cage schedule, etc.

And take a photo, you can add one soon.

Thank you and I will !! He's got a great diet which consists of nuts,dried/fresh fruits,greens/vegetables as well as seasonal acorns & other seeds that the wild squirrels love eating around here
    Thanks - his fur is not detaching it appeared that way because of his bottom fur color .. Still watching