Thread: Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

Default Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

Emma doesn't always eat an entire rodent block. She's "squirreling" the uneaten portions away, LOL. Should I toss those? The Henry's package indicates to refrigerate immediately. I didn't know if they were perishable.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to WilliamH4 from:

LR (12-13-2017)

Default Re: Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamH4 View Post
    Emma doesn't always eat an entire rodent block. She's "squirreling" the uneaten portions away, LOL. Should I toss those? The Henry's package indicates to refrigerate immediately. I didn't know if they were perishable.

You may want to cut hers in half if she's doing that. They are perishable, because they contain no preservatives at all, and if she stuffs them down in her nest box or something they could get really moldy.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

ClemC5 (07-02-2018), LR (12-13-2017), WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

DavidGMarchand Guest

Smile Re: Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

This is great information...thank you. Is there a length of time that you recommend when we should throw out the uneaten rodent blocks? Like a few days? a week? I have not noticed any mold...they only get really hard...which I think is good for their teeth...I do smell them to see if they start smelling bad...none has started smelling bad. I don't want my Zach to eat something that will make him sick either. Thanks again for the information.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DavidGMarchand:

LR (12-13-2017), Snicker Bar (12-14-2017), WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGMarchand View Post
    This is great information...thank you. Is there a length of time that you recommend when we should throw out the uneaten rodent blocks? Like a few days? a week? I have not noticed any mold...they only get really hard...which I think is good for their teeth...I do smell them to see if they start smelling bad...none has started smelling bad. I don't want my Zach to eat something that will make him sick either. Thanks again for the information.
    I throw them out after about 3 days. They will get a greenish look after that, and we don't want to take chances.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

LR (12-13-2017), Snicker Bar (12-14-2017), WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGMarchand View Post
    I take them out after a day when the block is hard and put them in a ziplock bag in freezer and then grind them with my Harlan block when I make boo balls.

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (11-14-2017), Diggie's Friend (07-01-2018), muggsy'sgm (12-13-2017), Snicker Bar (12-14-2017), WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

Muggsy has decided he doesn't like the HHBs at all anymore. Not even picky eaters . :-(

Good news is, there's been lots to grind up for Boo Balls (actually more like a big Boo Pancake) for the outdoor squirrels! I had the remains of a couple of bags in the freezer...and threw those in, too.

Am going to order Teklan H or envigo or whatever it's called, to try next. In the meantime, he's getting Boo Balls with FV again, and Kaytee or Mazuri, baby food, pecans, CBD, chia seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, iositol, and coconut oil. Sprinkled with sesame seeds. Fingers crossed.

Boo Balls with HHB...for the wilds! Who'da thunk it?

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

LR (12-13-2017), Snicker Bar (12-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I take them out after a day when the block is hard and put them in a ziplock bag in freezer and then grind them with my Harlan block when I make boo balls.
    Yup - clean up daily and stash your small pieces in the fridge until you have enough to repurpose them.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

muggsy'sgm (12-13-2017), Snicker Bar (12-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy'sgm View Post
    Muggsy has decided he doesn't like the HHBs at all anymore. Not even picky eaters . :-(
    Move over Teklad, Mazuri & HHB - here come "Sophie-Blocks"!

My first Sophie would not eat rodent block, HHB or HHB picky's. I ground up 3/4 Mazuri block, 1/4 crushed Pecan, FV 20/50 and peanut butter for flavor / binder and baked. She loved them! Not the ideal diet but she got her balanced block diet - the ultimate picky block. If I need to make these again I will add HHB to the mix.

Name:  DSCN1852.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  104.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN1846.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  109.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN1850.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  128.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN1865.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  76.0 KB

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

LR (12-13-2017), muggsy'sgm (12-14-2017), Snicker Bar (12-14-2017), TubeDriver (12-13-2017)

Good lord, SophieSquirrel, now you're gonna have me baking block alongside my Christmas cookies today!!! Those look great!

I've done the Dr Sells' nut squares in the dehydrator twice, and they used to be the first thing Muggsy would eat in the morning. Ha! Ever since we sent him to my parents' to try to wild him up and deter the self-mutilation...he hasn't had the same appetite!

Maybe he's being a typical teenager?! I'll let you know how the baking did...and if the result was a success.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

Snicker Bar (12-14-2017)

I want to give that recipe a try as well! My flyers are anti- block kids as well. What are the approx. amounts of the powder, and peanut butter( creamy or crunchy works better ? ) Can you substitute 3/4 cups HH block for Mazuri? ( what is Mazuri?) and 1/4 cup nuts ( pecans)?

What temp bake and how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I want to give that recipe a try as well! My flyers are anti- block kids as well. What are the approx. amounts of the powder, and peanut butter( creamy or crunchy works better ? ) Can you substitute 3/4 cups HH block for Mazuri? ( what is Mazuri?) and 1/4 cup nuts ( pecans)?

Mazuri is a free feeding rodent block, similar to Zupreem, Harlan Teklad and Oxbow. Squirrels can have as many as they want a day. Henry’s are a supplemental block and squirrels should have only 2 a day along with healthy veggies. I think SophieSquirrel means that 3/4 of the mixture is rodent block and 1/4 is pecans. So you just need to decide how much you want to make. You could use 3/4 of a cup of block and 1/4 cup of pecans or you could use 3 cups of block and 1 cup of pecans. The ratio is just 3:1. I hope I am explaining this correctly and it makes sense. . I actually use powdered peanut butter and baby food as the binder to hold it all together. I’m gonna try this recipe though and see if my guys like it.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SophieSquirrel (12-14-2017)

Mazuri is a free feeding rodent block, similar to Zupreem, Harlan Teklad and Oxbow. Squirrels can have as many as they want a day. Henry’s are a supplemental block and squirrels should have only 2 a day along with healthy veggies. I think SophieSquirrel means that 3/4 of the mixture is rodent block and 1/4 is pecans.
    EXACTLY! The idea with the recipe is to get the picky squirrel to eat it's base diet and making it palatable facilitates that. Same idea as Henry's adding pecans. Mel1959 - that's exactly how I feed - Mazuri Rodent (available in my area) as the primary base diet with the 2 Henry's / day as a supplement. Another way of doing it is to coat your Rodent Blocks with a light coating of peanut butter and bake on low until melted and absorbed into the block. Just like some sq's pick through their Henry's for the nuts, and some also scrape off the P.B. coated exterior leaving the core. The P.B. does not absorb all the way through. You will have to try it with your picky eater and see.

Has anyone ever tried Brisky for flyers? I only work with Greys/Foxes/Reds and Prairie Dogs (ground squirrels). Brisky makes the BEST Prairie Dog chow which was engineered by Gena Seaburg a top rodent nutritionist and P.D.expert. Perhaps some flyer PPL can comment?

Flyer: http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/s...-squirrel-diet

Prairie Dog (A+++!): http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/p...airie-dog-diet

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

LR (12-16-2017), Mel1959 (12-15-2017)

I actually use powdered peanut butter and baby food as the binder to hold it all together. I’m gonna try this recipe though and see if my guys like it.
    Do you use PB2? I have some I've never used!

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy'sgm View Post
    Do you use PB2? I have some I've never used!
    Yes, I’ve used PB2 as well as other varieties. And I always add some coconut oil to help the balls stick together.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (06-30-2018), muggsy'sgm (12-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Brisky makes the BEST Prairie Dog chow which was engineered by Gena Seaburg a top rodent nutritionist and P.D.expert. Perhaps some flyer PPL can comment?

Flyer: http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/s...-squirrel-diet

Prairie Dog (A+++!): http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/p...airie-dog-diet

I am thrilled to see that Gena has developed these flyer and PD foods -- like Leigh at henryspets, she is someone I respect greatly and know that above all else she has the welfare of her furry 'customers' in mind at all times. High-integrity people are difficult to find in the pet food business, but these are two, for sure!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

LR (12-16-2017)

SammyTheRed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post

Hi
    I have a super duper duper picky eater. His name is Sammy. I want to try this recipe but have several questions:

How much FV 20/50 do you add?
    How long do you bake them & temp?
    How long do they last before you need to make fresh ones?

Please get back to me as soon as possible. I am trying to prevent MBD! Sammy will only eat the Henry Block the 1st day when they come fresh. After they are frozen FORGET IT!
    I am thinking if I bake these myself, they will always be soft & fresh.

Thank You,
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by SammyTheRed View Post
    Hi
    I have a super duper duper picky eater. His name is Sammy. I want to try this recipe but have several questions:

How much FV 20/50 do you add?
    How long do you bake them & temp?
    How long do they last before you need to make fresh ones?

Please get back to me as soon as possible. I am trying to prevent MBD! Sammy will only eat the Henry Block the 1st day when they come fresh. After they are frozen FORGET IT!
    I am thinking if I bake these myself, they will always be soft & fresh.

Thank You,
    Lisa
    I have not needed these in a while but I used 3 parts Teklad to 1 part finely ground pecans (fine grind). In a quart size batch I used several tablespoons of Fox Valley 20/50 and just enough peanut butter to bind it. I wound up adding a teaspoon of coconut oil after the original post. I baked at 300 deg until golden brown to firm, not to "cook" them. Refrigerate and use within 5 days or freeze. If you use HHB's make a really small scaled down batch because they are so expensive. If you do the math a 33 LB bag of Teklad 2018 is $68 on Amazon. If you ordered 33 Lb's of HHB Adult it would be $864! So don't make a huge amount if using HHB's

If My recipe worked for me and may not for your squirrel.

Stay with The Squirrel Board there is a LOT of necessary info on here for keeping a squirrel healthy.

Here are some other past posts & Boo Ball recipe's that may work also (click links):

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...o+balls+recipe

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...o+balls+recipe

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

Snicker Bar (06-30-2018)

Organic virgin Coconut oil is a natural preservative used in cosmetics, and foods.

I like the organic virgin coconut oil from Trader Joes; it has lasted over a year in my fridge showing no signs of going bad so far.

How long it will preserve ground up rodent block when combined with it, and storedin a sealed container in the fridge, I have as yet to test.

Has anyone determined about how long rodent block combined with coconut oil uncooked remains good to feed when stored in the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Organic virgin Coconut oil is a natural preservative used in cosmetics, and foods.

I like the organic virgin coconut oil from Trader Joes; it has lasted over a year in my fridge showing no signs of going bad so far.

How long it will preserve ground up rodent block when combined with it, and storedin a sealed container in the fridge, I have as yet to test.

Has anyone determined about how long rodent block combined with coconut oil uncooked remains good to feed when stored in the fridge?

If you mix it with a fruit binder (baby food/applesauce) a week before it starts to smell off. (uncooked/kept in fridge sealed)

I don't know about just blocks/nut/oil.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Diggie's Friend (07-02-2018)