Thread: Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

Default Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

Emma doesn't always eat an entire rodent block. She's "squirreling" the uneaten portions away, LOL. Should I toss those? The Henry's package indicates to refrigerate immediately. I didn't know if they were perishable.

Default Re: Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamH4 View Post
    Emma doesn't always eat an entire rodent block. She's "squirreling" the uneaten portions away, LOL. Should I toss those? The Henry's package indicates to refrigerate immediately. I didn't know if they were perishable.

You may want to cut hers in half if she's doing that. They are perishable, because they contain no preservatives at all, and if she stuffs them down in her nest box or something they could get really moldy.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

DavidGMarchand (11-14-2017), WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

Smile Re: Toss Partially Eaten Rodent Blocks?

This is great information...thank you. Is there a length of time that you recommend when we should throw out the uneaten rodent blocks? Like a few days? a week? I have not noticed any mold...they only get really hard...which I think is good for their teeth...I do smell them to see if they start smelling bad...none has started smelling bad. I don't want my Zach to eat something that will make him sick either. Thanks again for the information.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DavidGMarchand from:

WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGMarchand View Post
    This is great information...thank you. Is there a length of time that you recommend when we should throw out the uneaten rodent blocks? Like a few days? a week? I have not noticed any mold...they only get really hard...which I think is good for their teeth...I do smell them to see if they start smelling bad...none has started smelling bad. I don't want my Zach to eat something that will make him sick either. Thanks again for the information.
    I throw them out after about 3 days. They will get a greenish look after that, and we don't want to take chances.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGMarchand View Post
    I take them out after a day when the block is hard and put them in a ziplock bag in freezer and then grind them with my Harlan block when I make boo balls.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (11-14-2017), WilliamH4 (11-14-2017)