Thread: SPINACH AND KALE AND BELL PEPPERS, OH MY!

Default SPINACH AND KALE AND BELL PEPPERS, OH MY!

Good morning, TSB.

I'm really confused lately, looking at the "Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels." Some people absolutely hang the moon by these rules. Others, not so much. There are a couple of items on the list which seem to conflict with other sources a whole lot.

sidenote: I use Sells' nut square kits, HHBs, Oxbow, and lots of fresh veggies, green stuff, etc...from Groups 1-3. Nut, one a day. Fruit, 2 little pieces a day.

Now, are sugar snap peas good or not? Corn? They are each in Group 3 (use sparingly). But some of the TSB members say NO to corn in ALL instances.

And I've read on countless sites that bell peppers are great for squirrels, as are swiss chard and spinach. These are in the AVOID column on the Healthy Diet sheet.

I realized this morning that Muggsy's plate had Oxbow, half a grape, kale, zucchini, snap peas, half a grape tomato, chayote, baby spinach, brussels sprout half, sprouts, and HHB w/coconut oil. Y'all...4 of these items are on AVOID or Group 3!

Have I been inadvertently, slowly killing my little grey? He is super-healthy, active, great coat, shiny eyes, 2 hours out and about a day (his own room), play time several times a day, 10ccs or so of FV at night, boo balls midday.
    But now I'm obsessing over the freaking okra, bell peppers, swiss chard, squash, etc...

Muggsy loves fresh corn (like, 10 kernels is all I give him...once a week or so)...swiss chard...snap peas.

What are your personal experiences or anecdotes about this stuff?

Much thanks. I wouldn't have made it this far as a squirrel mom, if it hadn't have been for all of y'all.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

cava (11-14-2017), LR (11-14-2017)

Default Re: SPINACH AND KALE AND BELL PEPPERS, OH MY!

Here's a chart that will help.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...7&d=1232419601

The chart shows the calcium to phosphorus ratios of different foods. The reason corn is on the list is because of the bad Ca: P ratio. The best foods have a ratio of 2:1. Corn is a very high phosphorus food and in abundance would cause Metabolic Bone Disease. That's why it's limited. The spinach is limited because it is high in oxalates which can be associated with kidney stones. Kale is fantastic. It's a super food. Sugar snap peas are fine. Squirrels love them.

The problem with bell peppers is actually anecdotal. We don't know for sure if they are bad. Several years ago there was an observation that squirrels that were vomiting had eaten bell pepper. It was decided to avoid them because of this. Because of the small population that this was based on we really are not sure about this. Avoiding them is basically out of an abundance of caution.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (11-14-2017), island rehabber (11-14-2017), LR (11-14-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-14-2017), SammysMom (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

The chart shows the calcium to phosphorus ratios of different foods. The reason corn is on the list is because of the bad Ca: P ratio. The best foods have a ratio of 2:1. Corn is a very high phosphorus food and in abundance would cause Metabolic Bone Disease. That's why it's limited. The spinach is limited because it is high in oxalates which can be associated with kidney stones. Kale is fantastic. It's a super food. Sugar snap peas are fine. Squirrels love them.

The problem with bell peppers is actually anecdotal. We don't know for sure if they are bad. Several years ago there was an observation that squirrels that were vomiting had eaten bell pepper. It was decided to avoid them because of this. Because of the small population that this was based on we really are not sure about this. Avoiding them is basically out of an abundance of caution.

True -- and the same holds for eggplant and Italian chestnuts (two of my personal favorite foods ). One well-known rehabber had problems with her squirrel getting sick and believed in both cases those foods were at fault. Not so sure, but will err on the side of caution and keep them for myself.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (11-14-2017), Diggie's Friend (11-14-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-14-2017)

LOVE the science behind some of this. Anecdotally...well, you're right. Better safe than sorry, for sure. Muggsy is the most lovable, crazy, completely trusting (of me) animal I've ever had the pleasure of having as a guest in my home.

Learning more and more about the nutritional issues, and all of y'all's wonderful advice...has probably saved more than one squirrel's life on here!

Thanks!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

island rehabber (11-15-2017)

There is knowledge in this regard, for these foods belong to the Nightshade family of vegetables that contain alkaloid compounds including solanine, cyanide, as well as others as noted on this page:

https://drjockers.com/are-nightshade...s/#lightbox/1/

In this section: Alkaloids Cause Nervous System Imbalances

Some humans are sensitive to these compounds, which appears to be the case with some tree squirrels as well, as they contain toxins that can lend to health issues.

In addition, Eggplant is higher in oxalates, at 190 mg. per 100 g. , a (9:1) oxalate to calcium. This food is one of a number of sources of vegetables that not only do not provide any additional calcium to the diet, but also deplete calcium from other sources of calcium they are digested with in the intestines. They also lower bioavailable free calcium carbonate in the bloodstream.

Beyond this, this Nightshade group of vegetables has some serious issues for animals moreso than for most humans.

http://333oee3bik6e1t8q4y139009mcg-w.../unnamed-3.png

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (11-15-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-19-2017)

I noticed on Dr. Emerson’s handout from her lecture on nutrition, she had listed green peppers as an acceptable food for squirrels. I haven’t tried them because they weren’t on the TSB healthy chart, but now I know why they weren’t on the healthy chart.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LR (11-14-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-19-2017)

Of the bell peppers only ripe fruit should be considered in including in a tree squirrels diet, which includes red, orange, yellow, and a special green variety "Permagreen". Unripe green bell peppers should not be included in a diet for tree squirrels.

Permagreen are sweet (like a red pepper) where as the unripe peppers are much more bitter (and expensive).

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

muggsy'sgm (11-19-2017)