Thread: I hope this isnt life threatening ?

Default I hope this isnt life threatening ?

Seymour got neutered this past friday, he's still not acting like he normally does , he just wants to sleep. He does eat and drink regularly. I made him get up today and he's scratching alot and losing hair ? He also keeps messing with incision, it's not red or swollen it still looks like a dried up large raisin. Anyone know why all the scratching?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Seymour's mom from:

LR (11-13-2017)

Default Re: I hope this isnt life threatening ?

Is the hair loss in the area of the incision? Or elsewhere?

Is he on any meds?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour's mom View Post
    Seymour got neutered this past friday, he's still not acting like he normally does , he just wants to sleep. He does eat and drink regularly. I made him get up today and he's scratching alot and losing hair ? He also keeps messing with incision, it's not red or swollen it still looks like a dried up large raisin. Anyone know why all the scratching?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

LR (11-13-2017)

Elsewhere mostly his lower back, could this just be molting? Hes not on any pain meds

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Seymour's mom from:

LR (11-13-2017)

There is a small chance that he picked up some fleas while at the vets? Sometimes there can be allergic reactions to meds, is he on any antibiotics? Usually they get more hair in the winter, not less.

Elsewhere mostly his lower back, could this just be molting? Hes not on any pain meds
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 11-13-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

LR (11-13-2017)

No antibiotics, do they all molt at the same time ?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Seymour's mom from:

LR (11-13-2017)

No antibiotics, do they all molt at the same time ?
    No they all don't molt the same time especially with captives,
    molt usually don't involve itching/scratching either.
    No pain meds? Was he ever given anything for pain after surgery?
    Can you post a picture of him and affected area?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

LR (11-13-2017)

They gave him a pain shot afterward.ill try to get a pic he's asleep in backpack and since my husband got home I can't let him out for the safety of my husband lol Seymour loathes him

They gave him a pain shot afterward.ill try to get a pic he's asleep in backpack and since my husband got home I can't let him out for the safety of my husband lol Seymour loathes him
    I'd have to inquire how long that shot was supposed to be good for especially with him messing with the incision.
    Generally after a surgery pain meds are prescribed also to keep them a bit sedated until the healing process is well under
    way so they don't mess with it. Managing pain, manages and promotes healing.

I'm also wondering if his scratching isn't part of his experiencing discomfort / pain.
    I have to tell you when I have one of my occurring mid back aches I walk around with a back scratchier in my hand!
    I have two of those telescoping types just so I can scratch where it itches. It's the damnedest thing but it goes away
    once I get the pain to reside.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (11-13-2017), Jen413 (11-13-2017), LR (11-13-2017), Nancy in New York (11-13-2017)

Sammy was neutered on a Friday. He was pretty puny the first two days after. He would often lay flat on my skin with his legs to the side looking for contact for his boy parts because he was uncomfortable. His fur was pretty spikey looking too. He was acting pretty normal come Monday. Maybe not quite as actively running and jumping but I could tell he was more himself by then. He never bothered his incision. It did turn a purple color. I may have some pictures on his thread but I was more focused on his mouth surgery so maybe I didn't post those? He never lost any hair either. Dr. E had him on metacam (I believe for 3-5 days?), but like I said he had surgery for his mouth too. Not sure if he was given pain meds for one over the other or would have been given them either way.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (11-13-2017), LR (11-13-2017), Nancy in New York (11-13-2017), Seymour's mom (11-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I'd have to inquire how long that shot was supposed to be good for especially with him messing with the incision.
    Generally after a surgery pain meds are prescribed also to keep them a bit sedated until the healing process is well under
    way so they don't mess with it. Managing pain, manages and promotes healing.

I'm also wondering if his scratching isn't part of his experiencing discomfort / pain.
    I have to tell you when I have one of my occurring mid back aches I walk around with a back scratchier in my hand!
    I have two of those telescoping types just so I can scratch where it itches. It's the damnedest thing but it goes away
    once I get the pain to reside.

I'm taking him in tomorrow, hopefully he'll be feeling better.
    I hope it's nothing bad. His original appointment was a few weeks ago but I chickened out because of the horrible possibilities and then rescheduled. I hope I don't regret this 😔😕

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Seymour's mom:

Jen413 (11-13-2017), LR (11-13-2017), Nancy in New York (11-13-2017)

Neutering causes a drop in testosterone where sterilty is achieved over a period of a week or more.

Neutering Increases obesity

Intact rats eat less food and have a lower percentage of body fat than castrated rats. Specifically, intact rats eat 17% less food and they have 5% less body fat than castrated males (Drori and Folman 1976).
    Be sure to adjust his diet down about 20 percent in fats, protein, and carbs; and get him a safe running wheel.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

LR (11-13-2017), Seymour's mom (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Neutering causes a drop in testosterone where sterilty is achieved over a period of a week or more.

Be sure to adjust his diet down about 20 percent in fats, protein, and carbs; and get him a safe running wheel.
    This does not apply right now. Let him eat whatever he wants while he is recuperating.
    In my less than humble opinion he definitely should be on both antibiotics as well as pain medication.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Diggie's Friend (11-13-2017), Nancy in New York (11-13-2017), Seymour's mom (11-14-2017)

That he has to recover before lowering his diet is a given, as it takes energy to heal.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

SammysMom (11-13-2017), Seymour's mom (11-14-2017)

My 6 yr old boy molts. He loses hair in little patches with new hair in the center. In a few weeks his hairs all back. Usually happens about this time of year. Lower back and belly, his inside thighs are pretty much hairless. Probably because he's not nuetered.
    Curliesmom

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Curliesmom2017 from:

LR (11-18-2017)