Thread: Help! Squirrel acting weird after running around with dogs

scooter2 Guest

Exclamation Help! Squirrel acting weird after running around with dogs

I have been raising a squirrel (Scooter) since he was 4 weeks old, he's currently 3 months and has been around my dogs since we took him in and they really don't pay him much mind. I have a chocolate lab, a yorkie, and a maltese mix. Scooter runs around the dogs all the time today I heard him make a grunting noise -not weird yet, I've heard him do it before - but he was laying on the floor like something was wrong with him. I picked him up and he kicked and scratched. I put him in his cage with his heated blanket and he curled up and just laid there breathing heavy. I checked on him a couple minutes later and saw him get up and climb around like he always does, scratching his ears. So I don't think anything is physically wrong with him but he freaks out whenever I get near him. What is he has a concusion or hit his head and something else is wrong? Are there any signs I should look for? He is climbing around but he looks wobbly, could he just be in shock? This has all happened like with in the hour.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to scooter2 from:

LR (11-10-2017)

Default Re: Help! Squirrel acting weird after running around with dogs

Never, never, never, never let your dogs play with your squirrel. You are so lucky he is not dead. We have had some real horror stories of dogs who were well behaved, "loved" the squirrel, "knew" they were not allowed to hurt the squirrel, "protected the squirrel", etc, suddenly attack the squirrel without provocation and kill it. The terrified and guilty owners were so angry with the dog and had lost a squirrel they had put time, effort and love into helping.

Canines are predators, squirrels are prey. No amount of human well wishing will stop the natural order of the animal world.

I think he either got bit, roughed up or scared. He probably needs some quiet time without dogs around his cage and you can check on him periodically and see if he is showing signs of injury. Meanwhile, come up with a closed off room/plan for interacting with him without the dogs around. Please!

4. 10 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Chickenlegs (11-10-2017), Diggie's Friend (11-11-2017), Grinderhead (11-10-2017), island rehabber (11-11-2017), Jennefer (11-10-2017), LR (11-10-2017), Mel1959 (11-10-2017), Nancy in New York (11-10-2017), stepnstone (11-11-2017), TubeDriver (11-10-2017)

HI Scooter2. Sorry to hear that Scooter isnt feeling well. I just jumped on quick...it is possible the dogs could have injured him by stepping on him or knocking him over or off something. But, what comes to mind with what you have described is MDB (metabolic bone disease). Not sure if you know what it is. But the experts here are going to want to know EXACTLY what Scooter eats...what type of formula, how much, what blocks, etc...everything. That way they will know if it's MDB or not. So if you can, please post that. And read up on the MBD treatment/protocol...its on here in one of the sticky posts. With MBD, if they arent eating correct food, they go from fine to not fine in a hot second. And if it's MDB, you dont have time to waste. Once we rule that out, then you can look at possible falls/injuries. In the mean time, keep him warm & still/in cage, quiet.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

cava (11-10-2017), HRT4SQRLS (11-10-2017), LR (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Never, never, never, never let your dogs play with your squirrel. You are so lucky he is not dead. We have had some real horror stories of dogs who were well behaved, "loved" the squirrel, "knew" they were not allowed to hurt the squirrel, "protected the squirrel", etc, suddenly attack the squirrel without provocation and kill it. The terrified and guilty owners were so angry with the dog and had lost a squirrel they had put time, effort and love into helping.

Canines are predators, squirrels are prey. No amount of human well wishing will stop the natural order of the animal world.

I think he either got bit, roughed up or scared. He probably needs some quiet time without dogs around his cage and you can check on him periodically and see if he is showing signs of injury. Meanwhile, come up with a closed off room/plan for interacting with him without the dogs around. Please!
    YES to what Cava says as well! Yes, yes, yes!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

cava (11-10-2017), LR (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post

Excellent post!
    One of the saddest stories ever about dogs and squirrels.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...hlight=warning

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (11-11-2017), LR (11-11-2017), stepnstone (11-11-2017)

Let's flip back to his diet, because we can do something with that right now.
    What are you feeding him?

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

AgileOllie (11-10-2017), LR (11-11-2017)

scooter2 Guest

Scooter is SO much better today, I moved him into a room dogs do not have access too. He's all the way back to his normal self. I will not let him down when they are out again! He eats fortidiet pro health blocks, various veggies, & fruit just once in a while and I leave him 1 or 2 peanuts a day with his veggies and blocks.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to scooter2:

cava (11-11-2017), island rehabber (11-11-2017), LR (11-11-2017)

I'm so glad. We want you to have many more happy days with him!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

LR (11-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter2 View Post
    Scooter is SO much better today, I moved him into a room dogs do not have access too. He's all the way back to his normal self. I will not let him down when they are out again! He eats fortidiet pro health blocks, various veggies, & fruit just once in a while and I leave him 1 or 2 peanuts a day with his veggies and blocks.
    Glad to hear he's feeling better!!! Is he still on formula? Veggies are good, one fruit a day good, ive not heard of the forti blocks but its good hes eating blocks. Watch the peanuts....not good for him so treats only. Does he get yougurt or formula as a calcium source? Worried if hes not, he could develop mbd. My guys all drink formula in a dish once they wean. And they love yougurt!!!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

LR (11-11-2017), Nancy in New York (11-11-2017)

The FortiDiet Pro Health is Kaytee Rat Block. Just information for anyone reading.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (11-11-2017), Jennefer (11-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnRobbins View Post
    The FortiDiet Pro Health is Kaytee Rat Block. Just information for anyone reading.
    Thanks Lynn! Good to know!!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

cava (11-11-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.