Thread: Henrys Blocks! Squirrel Like and Dislikes?

Default Henrys Blocks! Squirrel Like and Dislikes?

Does anyones squirrels only eat out the sliver of nuts that are in the block? I want to hear your experiences with the blocks and your squirrels reactions and any tips you might have.

My guy will nibble and put it down. So i give 3 -4 a day to make sure he is eating as mich as possible. He is is pretty good eater just picky. Trying to get to eat more greens then the 3rd tier veggies that he prefers. But recently i have been warming his block up for 5 seconds in the micro and he we snatch it out of my hands quick and eat more of the block this way. Usually he shreds thru it when warm to find the nuys byt he does eat more. I know its not good to nuke stuff but he does eat more this way..

Hopefully as he continues to grow he will eat then with no issues.

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Earltheofnutz:

ClemC5 (12-28-2017), EarlsMom (12-05-2017), gunpackingrandma (01-01-2018), LR (11-09-2017)

Default Re: Henrys Blocks! Squirrel Like and Dislikes?

How old is he? Is he still taking formula?

Ruby pretty much did the same thing at first. Shred it and eat the nuts out. It took a couple of weeks for her to start eating the whole thing. Just make sure he doesn't get anything else to eat until the block is gone...

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (11-09-2017), Nancy in New York (11-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Earltheofnutz View Post
    Does anyones squirrels only eat out the sliver of nuts that are in the block? I want to hear your experiences with the blocks and your squirrels reactions and any tips you might have.

My guy will nibble and put it down. So i give 3 -4 a day to make sure he is eating as mich as possible. He is is pretty good eater just picky. Trying to get to eat more greens then the 3rd tier veggies that he prefers. But recently i have been warming his block up for 5 seconds in the micro and he we snatch it out of my hands quick and eat more of the block this way. Usually he shreds thru it when warm to find the nuys byt he does eat more. I know its not good to nuke stuff but he does eat more this way..

Hopefully as he continues to grow he will eat then with no issues.
    Mine did the same thing at first so I mixed it w yogo baby yogurt n she gobbled it right up. Hope this helps!!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SandyC from:

LR (11-15-2017)

im assuming he's a tree squirrel? my flyer took to the block right away, lucky for me. mine loves them! look at boo-balls if he doesn't like them, i think there is a sticky for making them
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

LR (11-15-2017)

He is getting better he does come back to them later but i never know if thats a new one or old one. And husband does not help me at all i will tell him im not giving him anythung till ge eats them and ill find him giving him treats. Smh drives me nuts

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Earltheofnutz from:

LR (11-15-2017)

My 4 babies think Henrys Blocks is their candy! All I have to do is shake the bag and they come running from all corners.. I feed them the blocks first thing in the morning,than they get their milk,than they get their greens,2 hours later another dose of their candy,and I wake them in the middle of the night and give them another one. This way I can sleep a little later and better knowing their bellies are full. I make sure they have plenty of water for I had heard the blocks make them thirsty..

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to dextersmom:

Diggie's Friend (11-21-2017), EarlsMom (12-05-2017), gunpackingrandma (01-01-2018)

Have you tried the "Picky Formula" they offer? My little guy, Zipper, (though he just turned 6 in October)!! , had issues with the regular blocks....he would only eat the nuts out of the block and leave the rest of the block alone. But since we started ordering the 'Picky Block Formula' we haven't had an issue since.

Now, he will occasionally pick the nuts out first, but he will come back a little later to eat the rest of the block, and at the end of the day, there is nothing left of the block.

We have recently added a new member to our little squirrel family, thanks to Hurricane Irma. She was left wounded, orphaned and homeless. Maisy is now healing up beautifully, has a personality bigger than Irma, and is just a sweetheart. We haven't found anything that she doesn't like to eat, including Henry's blocks!!

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BrownEyes7:

cava (11-25-2017), gunpackingrandma (01-01-2018), LR (12-28-2017), Mel1959 (11-26-2017)

>..."But recently i have been warming his block up for 5 seconds in the micro and he we snatch it out of my hands quick and eat more of the block this way."...<

I also had ongoing issues with my 5 mo old squirrel "Gearl" reliably eating her HHBs. It took her all day to get them eaten so I couldn't supplement her diet with vegetables and fruit. After seeing this post, I tried warming her HHB for about 6 seconds in the microwave! WOW! What a difference! She snatched the block right out of my hand and ate it right up...all of it! I've been doing this for a week now and she is continuing to eat it up. She'll even eat most of a second one. I suspect warming it enhances the aroma and flavor making it more appealing. I feel relieved with her eating HHB rather than solely depending on the corn-based Zupreem block (which she stills eats). I worried over the calcium : phosphorus ratio if she ever stopped loving her formula since I couldn't balance it out with solid foods! Anyway...we are both happy campers now! Thanks for the tip Earltheofnutz!

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to EarlsMom:

gunpackingrandma (01-01-2018), island rehabber (12-05-2017), LR (12-28-2017), Mel1959 (12-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BrownEyes7 View Post
    Have you tried the "Picky Formula" they offer? My little guy, Zipper, (though he just turned 6 in October)!! , had issues with the regular blocks....he would only eat the nuts out of the block and leave the rest of the block alone. But since we started ordering the 'Picky Block Formula' we haven't had an issue since.

Now, he will occasionally pick the nuts out first, but he will come back a little later to eat the rest of the block, and at the end of the day, there is nothing left of the block.

We have recently added a new member to our little squirrel family, thanks to Hurricane Irma. She was left wounded, orphaned and homeless. Maisy is now healing up beautifully, has a personality bigger than Irma, and is just a sweetheart. We haven't found anything that she doesn't like to eat, including Henry's blocks!!

That's funny you say that cause that is exactly what he used to do. Just pick out the nuts or just eat a portion. He has now moved passed that phase and snatches them.out of my hand. He too knows the sound of the bag.. at what age can they be switched to picky eaters or adults? He is between 4-5months now.

Ruby is my picky eater. She likes the Henry's Wild Bites though. They are made with peanuts instead of pecans.