Thread: 3 month old sneezing a lot

Newsquirrelmom17 Guest

Default 3 month old sneezing a lot

So our cat brought us a 2 week old baby squirrel about three months ago. Due to the lack rehabbers in our area, we have one whom is wonderful, but the poor woman was overwhelmed. We had him on esbilac formula and he aspirated which resulted in phenomena, we actually have a veterinarian that saw him and with the help of our local rehabbed we got him the necessary medication and medical care he needed. He actually weened himself and we have him currently on hhb high protein for baby squirrels, he gets 3 blocks a day and he has apples, pears, baked sweet potato,kale, spinach and cooked organic green beans. There are time he's super picky and others where he has an insatiable appetite. I do give him shelled walnuts and branches to chew on because I understand their incisors need to stay trimmed.

My concern is lately he is sneezing a lot, he has no lack of energy or appetite and drinks a lot of water, but he is also becoming more cuddly. I don't know if this should be a concern and I'm overreacting or if this could potentially lead to a serious problem. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you so very much.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Newsquirrelmom17 from:

LR (11-09-2017)

Newsquirrelmom17 Guest

Default Re: 3 month old sneezing a lot

I'm sorry I should have stated he's a 3 month old Eastern Gray

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Newsquirrelmom17 from:

LR (11-09-2017)

Hi there. Where does he sleep? How often do you clean his cage and what, if anything, are you using for litter? What environmental things could be causing the sneezing, if any? Did it start when you turned the heat on? Does he have nasal discharge or a sound when he breathes? Did you bring in something different/new from outside?

I have a humidifier next to the cage mine are in because when the heat goes on in this house it's so dry we get nose bleeds at night.

Sounds like you have done well with him so far. Glad you had the help of a rehabber and a vet, especially!

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (11-09-2017)

Newsquirrelmom17 Guest

We have a large parrot cage that he is in right now, and I haven't brought anything unusual in as of late, but the weather here has been from the 70s then goes to the 40s. I have gas heat so I wonder if that's the reason, I have a humidifier and didn't even think of that.

No discharge,no clicking or any noises when he breathes. And his lungs sound clear, unlike the celaphane sound that he did have when he had phenomena.

He has a grate above the pan and I use newspaper, he does not physically touch the paper, and I clean it out daily sometimes twice to three times because he makes a mess

I'm also curious I have a scarlet macaw, could it be the feather dander?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Newsquirrelmom17 from:

LR (11-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Newsquirrelmom17 View Post

I'm also curious I have a scarlet macaw, could it be the feather dander?
    I don't know a thing about large birds (except they live forever and ever. )

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (11-09-2017)

Newsquirrelmom17 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I don't know a thing about large birds (except they live forever and ever. )
    Hahaha they certainly do, I've raised him from 6 weeks old and he's now 16. Total commitment and long term one, he too is also very messy hahaa.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Newsquirrelmom17 from:

cava (11-09-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.