Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lethargic, wont eat/drink, dark colored strong urine

Default Re: Lethargic, wont eat/drink, dark colored strong urine

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I think right now he needs warmth and fluids. If he isn't fully hydrated you shouldn't start any other meds. Warming the water/sweetened water you are giving by mouth may be better tolerated and would help keep his body temp from cooling.

Thank you! he has been on a heating pad for the past hour, still not drinking well at all. He seems calm and keeps fighting.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to smokey joe from:

LR (11-08-2017)

Can you get STERILE water and a sterile syringe. Can get insulin syringes at the pharmacy but he'll need a percentage of his body weight so you'd need something larger than a 1cc syringe so you don't need to poke hom so many times. He needs to be hydrated before he starts anything. Get water in him even if it's a drop at a time.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (11-08-2017), LR (11-08-2017), smokey joe (11-08-2017)

He's having seizures and his paralyzed back feet are gripping

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to smokey joe from:

LR (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by smokey joe View Post
    He's having seizures and his paralyzed back feet are gripping
    Rub a little molasses on his gums.
    OR maple syrup.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Rub a little molasses on his gums.
    OR maple syrup.
    ok we just did that, what is that for?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to smokey joe from:

LR (11-08-2017)

It gives needed electrolytes and sugars which can help prevent/stop seizures.

I would continue to give him little bits of warm water, just gently give it to him drop by drop by drop using a syringe. He needs to be hydrated.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

lennysmom (11-09-2017), LR (11-08-2017), smokey joe (11-08-2017)

Low blood sugars can cause seizures but if you have seizures,
    it raises your blood sugar level.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

lennysmom (11-09-2017), LR (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    It gives needed electrolytes and sugars which can help prevent/stop seizures.

I would continue to give him little bits of warm water, just gently give it to him drop by drop by drop using a syringe. He needs to be hydrated.

How often should we do rub the syrup on his gums? This perked him up for a second or two.

How often should we do rub the syrup on his gums? This perked him up for a second or two.

I would do this every 15 minutes or so a few times. Just a small amount to keep
    the blood sugar levels up.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

smokey joe (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

I would do this every 15 minutes or so a few times. Just a small amount to keep
    the blood sugar levels up.

how much honey or apple juice should we put in his water?

how much honey or apple juice should we put in his water?

Just a touch to make it tastier, but not overly sweet.

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (11-08-2017), lennysmom (11-09-2017), LR (11-09-2017), smokey joe (11-08-2017)

Thinking of you this morning.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (11-09-2017), SammysMom (11-09-2017), smokey joe (11-10-2017)

SirSmokey'smom Guest

Good Morning

I wanted to pop in, say hello and with many thank you's in hand to everyone on this board for the help we received for Sir Smokey Joe. Since Smokey got sick we ventured all over the net in search of answers, help, and everything else that's involved with these remarkable animals. I wished that we would have found you guys/girls sooner so we would have know from day 1 that squirrels need more than just nuts, corn, seeds, and broccoli! I just want to say that the information on this site is worth a million dollars. To someone looking for help with their fur babies this place is amazing! Great people with great advise ready to help.... In my eyes you guys are heros.

I'm sure I won't have time to post and check back as often as I would like but I did feel the need to come by and say a few things and give a report on Mokey (Sir Smokey's nic name)

I'm very sad to report that Smokey is no longer with us. After my wife posted this message we have seen some of the worst possible situations for a mother to see with her baby. To see him so sick and hurting was tearing us apart. I reached out to a pet tech at the local animal shelter who got me in touch with a lady who rehabs wildlife but understands the feelings of the people who have taken in the animal. She would help but not take him away or call the IDNR either (Illinois Department of Natural Resources) It was advised to let him go after a lengthy inspection. His fall produced a break in the lower back and leg that was numb when he got the mbd. After rehabbing him and getting his nutrition in order that pain started coming out. Without immediate surgery he would be in a chronic state of pain/death. Added that he had a UTI infection too. NO VETS AROUND HERE WOULD EVEN LOOK AT HIM FOR THE FEAR OF THE IDNR!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, still pissed off!!!!!) I was told he wouldn't make it through the night without surgery. He was put down with no pain and surrounded by his loved ones.

Anyways... Just wanted to share a few of Mokey's funnny moments. (This helps me as I have been a wreck since he got sick)

The sideways bounce
    Mokey had a funny way of playing. He would bounce sideways like a kitten would. While remodeling he came into his new room and found the box spring we put next to the wall but half was up in the air because it was sitting on something so Mokey would run up the box and high bounce sideways all the way down. So funny to watch.

The Peanut butter Challenge
    Before the MBD came into play it was so fun to give mokey a dab of peanut butter. My wife would give him the cheap stuff and he was okay with. Then one day for lunch I gave him some of my peanut butter Jiffy. He want NUTS over that stuff. LOVED IT. Since then my wife could no longer give him the cheap stuff! Anytime you would bring the cheap peanut butter in he acted like it was raw trash and ran away from it. In the same moment offer Jiffy and he was very happy! Oh and as far as the Challenge, Jiffy is the clear winner!

The Good Mornings
    Walking into Mokeys room in the morning was always fun. I would walk in and say Gooooood Moooooorning! To watch that little guy light up was amazing. He would zoom around his cage, roll onto his back and let me give him some good chest rubbings. He would allow me 20 minutes of pure cuddles until his need to run and play got the better of him.

The Hat

Mokey loved my baseball caps. Anytime he would find my fitted hats it became a circle funadium. (fun stadium) Hours would be spent just relaxing and playing in those hats.

The Cage
    Mokey loved his cage! 8' high X 8' long x 4' deep. His secondary cage was 5'x3'x3'. Complete with handmade rope/log bridges. 3 nests, a grassy noll, 6' log (HUGE) and the inside was covered in tree branches. More of a habitat than a cage. When mokey got sick he would just stare at his cage and try to get back there. Very hard to see! Also of note, Mokey was there watching me build this from board 1. I would be using my dewalt 20V impact (loud drill) and it wouldn't bother him one bit. Heck, he was asleep once on the 8' board I was driving the 3" screws in!! He LOVED LOVED LOVED this little world.

The Ceiling Fan
    Nothing like watching him climb on my head and standing straight up and praying to the ceiling fan Gods. He was amazed at that thing going around and around. He wanted to get on that!!

Anyways.... I could write all day about some of the funny moments I had with him. for the short amount of time I had with him... I loved him a lifetimes worth. He had the ugliest mom in the world too.... 6'1" 230LBS mom with a goatee

I will miss him something awful.

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SirSmokey'smom:

LR (11-10-2017), Mel1959 (11-10-2017), Nancy in New York (11-10-2017), smokey joe (11-10-2017), TubeDriver (11-10-2017)

SirSmokey'smom Guest

My wife and I would also like to add that if ANYONE needs help with their little one(s) we would be PROUD to pay it forward.

We have TONS of Henry Blocks frozen, plus medication that could be used to help. PM Me or Smokey Joe for information.

Nancy in NY and Chicken Legs, I will PM you two my wifes personal cell number. Call ANYTIME! I don't care if its 3AM you can call us to get these meds/food out to whomever needs them.

On Behalf of my wife Charity and I

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

26. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SirSmokey'smom:

lennysmom (11-10-2017), LR (11-10-2017), Nancy in New York (11-10-2017), smokey joe (11-10-2017), TubeDriver (11-10-2017)

I am so, SO sorry to read this. You guys fought so hard for him. If only love alone could save them. Prayers for comfort and peace for both of you.

Run wild in the trees of heaven Smokey Joe. You are now whole.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

LR (11-10-2017), smokey joe (11-10-2017)

Oh, I am so sorry about Smokey Joe. He had too many things happening to him all at once. He will leave a big hole for a while...

But given that you guys now know all of the ins and outs of squirrels and diet, it may also be that one day a little one that isn't really able to make it in the wild may make it's way to you. Once you have the squirrel bug it is hard to kick.

Aren't they awesome? That hopping sideways bounce which we call "popping" because they look like popcorn when they do it has an actual name - pranging. I think if people could spontaneously explode with joy like that a little more often we would have a better world...

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

LR (11-10-2017), Mel1959 (11-10-2017), smokey joe (11-10-2017)

Godspeed Smokey Joe.

Squirrels always find their way deep into our hearts, it somehow changes us for the better! I wish you could have had more time with SJ but I am glad you were with him till the end.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

smokey joe (11-10-2017)

There is no squirrel that could take Smokeys place in your heart. That said, boy do we know who to get a hold of come springtime if we hear a little squee in Ohio needs a family! Don't dismantle too much stuff. Once a squirrel finds you, I swear, they leave a trail others can follow...

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

smokey joe (11-10-2017)

I’m so sorry to hear about Mokey. It is evident by the way you talk about him that he was loved and cherished. . I know the squirrel size hole in your heart will be there forever. But, you never know when another little fuzz butt will bounce into it and be blessed by your care.

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

smokey joe (11-10-2017)

I am so sorry to read this post.
    I remember being in awe of the love that you had for
    your little Mokey (Sir Smokey Joe) through the words you wrote.

Recapping his antics brings tears and smiles knowing that you
    appreciated all the "little" things he did. You found the joy
    so many of us do with our little "gifts" that were placed in our hands.

There are just some members, along with their squirrels,
    that grab our hearts immediately
    You and Mokey are one of them.
    We will never forget you, or your boy.

Rest in Peace Precious Mokey
    You are so loved. Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 43
Size:  701 Bytes

When you are ready, I will respectfully move this thread to All Squirrels go to Heaven,
    or if you'd rather, we can keep it here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast