Thread: First foods

Katco Guest

Default First foods

So I've started to give Jolene some fresh veggies..
    She eats the rodent block no problem..I've given her Romaine, broccoli, sweet potato, carrot, avocado and tomato.. she's picked at everything but eats tomato like its never coming back :s
    Should I maybe stick to similar texture ? Or any other food ideas to try? She is 8weeks old
    Name:  IMG_20171101_210249059.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  60.0 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Katco from:

LR (11-02-2017)

Default Re: First foods

Ruby loves baby bok choy. Another veggie a lot of people put on their 'To Start On List' is sugar snap peas. Just please, if you decide to peel the peas like Some People around here, and I'm not going to name names, don't tell Ruby. I've already told her I'm not going to and I don't want her to have ammo.

Attached link to the recommended healthy diet for pet squirrels.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Baked squash, which includes PUMPKINS, save for the dry fleshed field pumpkins with not much flavor. Other than that any quash is a good squash, as long as it is organic. My favorites are the Cinderella shaped pumpkins, and Butternut squash. It is a good source of protein, and healthly carbs, lower in carbs than grains, helps to keep blood sugar leveled. Baking, not boiling, actually increases the level of Beta-carotene Vitamin A in contains; so go ahead and bake it. This also makes it more digestable by breaking down the indigestable starches it contains, and enhances the flavor, and aroma!

Do not store squash in the fridge once cut open and/or cooked, for more than overnight to dethaw it when frozen, as it will begin to mold in three days. Instead use a melon baller to scoop out the baked squash after it cools well, and place it into ziplock freezer bags, removing the last of the air with a straw. To feed this you just pull out one to two portions 1 Tsp or 1/2 Tsp depending on the end of the melon baller you use to make the squash balls, or half squash balls if that works better.

Another food, the first we fed our brood that they went for, was boiled peas. This food is a very good source of protein. As a seed pod source it mimics the seeds in seed pods squirrels eat in the wild. It was funny how at first they only ate the inside and left the outside shell, but in wanting more they went back and at that part too. Best to serve this on a plate it may make cleanup less messy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.