Thread: Stuffy Nose

Default Stuffy Nose

Hi y'all. I have an almost 5 year old fox squirrel, Earl, who has a stuffy nose. He doesn't seem to feel bad but this has been going on for a little over a week and was wondering if I should give him some antibiotics? His nose is not running but just sounds congested. It also seems like his ear is itching him. I've looked in his ear and from what I can tell it doesn't look red or dirty. He is eating fine and playing as normal. His diet consist of Henry's Rodent Blocks, broccoli, greens, grapes, avocados, sweet peas, apples. He gets a pecan in the shell every 2 days and his teeth look good to me. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Mister from:

LR (10-31-2017)

Default Re: Stuffy Nose

I had some babies this summer that all developed congestion with a runny nose. I did treat with a Baytril and Clavamox combination for 7-10 days and they recovered. I also used a nebulizer with saline to help loosen the congestion in their lungs and noses. It helped a lot because I could direct the mist right to their noses. If you don’t have a nebulizer, steam from hot water or shower can help, but you’ll probably have to make a canopy to keep the moist air in long enough for it to do any good. The vet also told me I could use one tiny, tiny drop of neosynephrine in their noses to open their nasal passage.

I hope Earl gets better soon.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

4Mister (10-31-2017), LR (10-31-2017)

Thank you. I have been letting him come in the bathroom with me while I take a shower hoping it would help him some but so far it hasn't. He's never been sick before and I don't have a vet that I can take him to. I do have Cephalexin and Doxycyline. Would those ok for a squirrel?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Mister from:

LR (10-31-2017)

Hi there! You say he sounds congested. What does it sound like exactly: snot, nose whistles, snorting? When do you hear it: During play, sleep, eating?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

LR (10-31-2017)

4M, I know you said you don't have a vet but I just want to throw this out there for your information. In a 5 year old squirrel I worry a lot when there are 'respiratory' symptoms. Respiratory issues in a adult squirrel are often teeth related. You wouldn't necessarily see a tooth problem. There is a condition called odontoma which is when the incisors start growing backwards. This causes a bony growth at the tooth base. When odontoma invade the sinuses, 'respiratory' issues like runny nose and sniffles will appear. There can also be white tears in the eyes. If they have odontoma they will stop chewing in shell nuts as it causes pain. The incisors lose the sharp chiseled edge and appear blunt on the ends.

The only way to diagnose this is with an X-ray of the head. The cure is surgical removal of the incisors. It might not be this at all but I wanted you to be aware of this so that you can be watchful.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

4Mister (11-01-2017), LR (10-31-2017), Mel1959 (10-31-2017), stepnstone (01-08-2018)

It's weird because it's not everyday. I can hear it sometimes during play and sometimes just at rest. It sounds like snot, I guess. It also seems to be just on one side, the same side as the ear that itches him. His nose is not running at all though.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Mister from:

cava (11-18-2017)

I've read some post about that and I pray that is not the case. He doesn't seem to have any trouble eating or getting into his pecan shells. It started with the season change so I'm hoping it has something to do with that. He doesn't seem to be in any pain. I wish I could just blow his nose for him!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Mister from:

Sciurus_niger (09-07-2022)

I've combined your two threads so all of the information is in one spot.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

4Mister (11-01-2017)

I have heard of Benadryl being used for allergies, if this could possibly be the problem. I will defer to the other more experienced minds as to whether this would be a good idea. And, if so, what the dosing should be.

Thanks for your help!

For some reason I can't figure out how to start a new post so hopefully this will be seen on this one. Earl still has a stuffy nose. There is no drainage but you can definitely hear his breathing, especially when he's playing. I've used a humidifier for the past few days but it hasn't helped any and I don't have a vet that will see him. I know a lot of times that sinus issues have to do with the teeth and as bad as I hate to even think it, - but I think he might have an odontoma. His teeth aren't too long and the roof of his mouth looks ok to me. I'm actually worried that his top teeth are too short (kinda why I'm thinking O) He weighed right at 2lbs the last time I weighed him. What should I try? Infant ibuprofen for swelling? Antibiotics? I work for an optometrist so I can get almost any type of antibiotic. I will weigh him when I get home to get a more accurate weight. Also no smell coming from his mouth. I tried to use a baby nose sucker thing but nothing came out. I've only posted a couple times in the last 5 years but I've learned so much! Thanks for your help.

A vet has recommended using a tiny drop of neo synephrine in the nose to help with breathing. Another option, because you work for an optometrist and can probably get it, is a steroid eye drop. The one I had which the vet said was okay to use was Tobradex (tobramycin and dexamethasone) the steroid helps with any swelling in the nasal passage. Just a tiny drop is all that’s needed. I have had good luck with saline in a nebulizer. It really helped loosen the phlegm. You can sometimes find nebulizers on Craigslist, because they do require a Rx.

Do you hear congestion in his chest? Any clicking when he breathes? Is he lethargic? Is he eating okay? If you suspect pneumonia it will require an antibiotic like Augmentin (human)/Clavamox (animal) OR Ciproflaxin (human)/ Baytril (animal).
    You will need to post the mg of the pill you get so someone can help you break it down and dose it.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

4Mister (01-08-2018)

I do not hear any congestion or clicking. It sounds like it's only in his left nasal passage. It sounds snotty but it doesn't drain. I do have Tobradex, I'll try that. He eats fine and doesn't seem lethargic/ maybe a little less active but not too much. When he gets to playing his breathing gets worse so he does slow down then. He has been changing his "nest" a lot lately too. He has his own room with several different nest areas. Also I wonder if it has anything to do with the central heat. This all started when it started getting cooler outside and we started using the heat. I'll try to get a picture of his top teeth because they look short to me.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Mister from:

LR (01-08-2018)

I know Texas is as big as a continent and I'm not sure where you are but there is a vet in San Antonio that sees squirrels if you're anywhere near SA.

If this might be odontoma, I would use Clavamox (Augmentin).

Using the heat can dry out the nasal passages for them, just like us.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

4Mister (01-08-2018), LR (01-08-2018)

I'm about 4 hours from San Antonio

tipper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4Mister View Post
    It's weird because it's not everyday. I can hear it sometimes during play and sometimes just at rest. It sounds like snot, I guess. It also seems to be just on one side, the same side as the ear that itches him. His nose is not running at all though.
    My squirrel has the same thing he has been to the vet been on antibiotics had one of his teeth pulled and he is still not better. Have you found out what it could be my vet is amazing but we can not figure out why my squirrels nose is so stuffy

tipper, how old is your squirrel? Has the vet done X-rays of the head to examine the teeth?