Thread: Zippy

Animal Loven Fool Guest

Default Zippy

Hi all, I'm new on here. I recently found a baby squirrel, the Mother had been killed, my husband and I took him in. Well, we got online to find food and what he would drink. We got Pedialyte, for him to drink, tried dry mealworms, didn't like, tried blueberries, didn't like, tried a mixture of things (raisins, peanuts and other things) didn't like. I gave him an apple slice he liked that,for awhile doesn't now, then we tried sunflower seeds, he liked those and walnuts. Tried the Hi-Protein squirrel blocks but he won't eat those, he itches a lot and his hair is coming out, we don't know what to do. We think he might be maybe 10 weeks old? Not sure his eyes were open when we found him, and he's running all over the place now, climbing up our legs and the curtains. He likes to sit on your shoulder, just wish we could stop his itching. We gave him a bath with dog oatmeal shampoo, tried putting an antibiotic on him( which wasn't easy) I have a Basset hound that itches, because of the folds in his skin. So we got some spray to spray on him from the Vet, it has oatmeal for his skin, we tried that too, but he's still itching. What are we doing wrong or not doing????? He seems healthy otherwise. Thank-you, and Thank you for this place.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Animal Loven Fool from:

LR (10-27-2017)

Default Re: Zippy

Have you researched Mange in squirrels?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Slinky from:

Would you please post a picture of him? Do you have a kitchen scale that weighs in grams?knowing how much he weighs and seeing the picture of him will help us determine how old he is for you. Squirrel kits open their eyes at about five weeks old. How long have you had him?

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

Nancy in New York (10-22-2017), TubeDriver (02-13-2018)

Welcome. Please stop giving all of the foods you mentioned except for the block. He will not starve. Offer fresh water and block until he eats that. Once he is eating that without a doubt then you may add some veggies. The fruit, seeds and nuts will make him very sick and can cause a disease called Metabolic Bone Disease which can be fatal.

Please look at this link. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Also, don't use any sprays on him for itching, ESPECIALLY ones designed for cats and dogs. It can be very dangerous. Let's get to the bottom of what is causing the problem and that should stop the itching.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Nancy in New York (10-22-2017), TubeDriver (02-13-2018)

Animal Loven Fool Guest

Cool Re: Zippy

I have a question for Cava. Outdoor squirrels eat seeds, nuts and corn do they get Metabolic Bone Disease too? And I read that someone gives his squirrel Ivermectin Paste for his squirrels itching, that was on that site for mange, I'm not sure he has mange, I don't see any red sores, he's just loosing his hair. And he does not like those blocks, when he's in his cage thats all he gets, and he won't eat them. I've broken them up into smaller pieces, he still won't touch them. I put the blocks into his cage at night, and thats all he gets until I let him out sometime late morning. Otherwise he seems healthy, running around, up and down stuff and sitting on our shoulders. I don't know??? Thank-you for the help.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Animal Loven Fool from:

LR (10-27-2017)

Um, we need a pic to know hot to feed this baby (?) What type of squirrel? The only kind that is up eating at night once they wean from their mama and begin adult food are flying squirrels which are nocturnal - the others sleep at night. So putting food in at night wouldn't make sense. Please let us see what you have so we know how to help you!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

LR (10-27-2017)

Yes, wild squirrels get those treats, but they are also eating a vast wild diet that balances out those treats. Unfortunately captive squirrels don't have that option and are at the mercy of what we give them. They do not make smart choices inside. They will eat fruit, seeds and nuts (popcorn, french fries, etc) until it literally kills them.

Check out this link. It has been helpful to many folks dealing with picky eaters. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...h-Picky-Eaters

Ivermectin is one exception out of many parasitic meds that are used on cats and dogs. It is safe if dosed based on weight, which someone can help you with if you give us a weight in grams and what form of Ivermectin you have on hand. Others, especially over the counter, and some from a vet, can cause seizures and death in squirrels. Better safe than sorry.

Also, some people make boo balls, which are tastier. Search them on here. And Henry's makes a picky block for squirrels that they like better than regular blocks.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (10-27-2017), Mel1959 (10-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    putting food in at night wouldn't make sense
    If your squirrel is potty trained putting food in at night is good to do. When it wakes up to go pee in the night it will usually make a stop at the veggie saucer and nibble a few before returning to its nest to go back to sleep.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Slinky:

LR (10-27-2017)

Animal Loven Fool Guest

Cool Re: Zippy

Thanks everybody for your help, I'll try to send a pic, not real good with computers. And this is the first time I've been on a message board, so please forgive me if I make mistakes. Oh, and I think Zippy is a Fox squirrel don't know weight yet. It's going to be hard trying to weigh him, he doesn't want to sit still for very long.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Animal Loven Fool from:

LR (10-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Loven Fool View Post
    It's going to be hard trying to weigh him, he doesn't want to sit still for very long.
    Walmart sells kitchen scales in their kitchen dept. Give it a sunflower seed (no oil, no salt) and it will sit on the scale trying to open it while you get the weight.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Slinky from:

Animal Loven Fool Guest

Hi, me again just wondered if anyone would know, or direct me to, the name of a squirrel foster care place near Toledo, Ohio. Thanks

Are you looking for a home for Zippy? Another squirrel? Explain what's happening and we can help you figure out a plan....

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

4Puddles (02-13-2018), cava (02-13-2018)

Animal Loven Fool Guest

Not looking for a home for Zippy, Zippy passed away in an unfortunate accident. My husband and I are really devastated by it, and are looking for another squirrel baby, because we really miss her. But you can't just go to the store and buy one, and I don't know if it's legal to even own one in Ohio. So I thought maybe there would be a place that we can go to and adopt or foster one. I don't know I just miss playing with Zip, she was the best. Thank-you for the help.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Animal Loven Fool from:

LR (02-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Loven Fool View Post
    Not looking for a home for Zippy, Zippy passed away in an unfortunate accident. My husband and I are really devastated by it, and are looking for another squirrel baby, because we really miss her. But you can't just go to the store and buy one, and I don't know if it's legal to even own one in Ohio. So I thought maybe there would be a place that we can go to and adopt or foster one. I don't know I just miss playing with Zip, she was the best. Thank-you for the help.
    Unless you are licensed for rehabilitation it is illegal in the State of Ohio to possess a squirrel.
    If you were to be caught/reported you would be heavily fined, the squirrel confiscated and euthanized.
    What was the "unfortunate accident" that took Zippy?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (02-13-2018), Nancy in New York (02-14-2018), TubeDriver (02-13-2018)

Stepnstone is correct. Even if you are licensed rehabber pet ownership of squirrels is illegal in Ohio.

I'm sorry you lost your friend. Give some extra nuts to your outside squirrel friends. It might help ease the loss.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (02-14-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.