Thread: Florida Help Needed - AP

Hybrid View

Mruark Guest

Exclamation Florida Help Needed - AP

I'm very sorry to post on someone else post but I have been trying to figure out how to create my own post since yesterday I have a baby squirrel not sure how old he has hair but his eyes are still shut I am pretty sure he aspirated formula the first time I fed him I have had him for about 5 or 6 days now yesterday I started noticing the clicking noise in his breath that everyone has mentioned in other posts but he was still eating fine I spoke to 2 diff vets yesterday but they wouldn't help me they don't treat squirrels and wouldn't even let me buy antibiotics from them late last night I noticed him getting worse with the clicking noise and he barely ate today his breathing is very labored he is struggling I cannot stop crying I have grown so attached to him I gathered up every type of antibiotics I could find around the house today and researched them all and bactrim is one that is used to treat respitory and some cases of pneumonia so I shaved a tiny bit off the pill mixed it with warm water and gave it to him within a min it seemed like he wasn't struggling so hard to breathe so I am hoping this works I need suggestions please does anyone know if a nebulizer with albuterol is too much for their little lungs I have one at home and I know when humans have the same sickness it's recommended for use also I noticed yesterday that he had a small amount of crusty blood around his nose and I'm just praying he doesn't have any internal bleeding I had to fight the neighbors cat off him and his sibling when I found him his sibling was already deceased the nasty cat had chewed of ligaments and I'm just praying it didn't have a chance to sink any teeth into him I checked him thouroly and didn't see any injuries on his body or bleeding so I'm hoping he will make it through this

Default Re: Florida Help Needed - AP

(I moved your post to its own thread in emergency).

Where are you in Florida, perhaps we have a member nearby that can help with antibiotics.

"Shaving a sliver" of a pill is not an appropriate or accurate way of dosing medications. Can you weigh this baby on a kitchen scale and tell us what she weighs?

The bloody nose is not good, she may have a raging infection (AP) in her lungs causing bleeding. You would do well to find a vet and they may want to administer Vitamin K which will help with that bleeding (as well as antibiotics).

Bactrim will work, but it is more slow acting. We need to know the strength of the bactrim and the squirrel's weight.

Start calling friends and neighbors asking of one pill of Cipro or Baytril or Augmentin or Clavamox... these are better choices for AP and more fast acting.

Time is of the essence here...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Jen413 (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    (I moved your post to its own thread in emergency).

Where are you in Florida, perhaps we have a member nearby that can help with antibiotics.

"Shaving a sliver" of a pill is not an appropriate or accurate way of dosing medications. Can you weigh this baby on a kitchen scale and tell us what she weighs?

The bloody nose is not good, she may have a raging infection (AP) in her lungs causing bleeding. You would do well to find a vet and they may want to administer Vitamin K which will help with that bleeding (as well as antibiotics).

Bactrim will work, but it is more slow acting. We need to know the strength of the bactrim and the squirrel's weight.

Start calling friends and neighbors asking of one pill of Cipro or Baytril or Augmentin or Clavamox... these are better choices for AP and more fast acting.

Time is of the essence here...

Also since he was gotten by a cat, you will need the abs. listed below. Cat bites and their saliva kill squirrels.
    You need the antibiotic mentioned preferably CLAVAMOX or AUGMENTIN first choice
    then Baytril or Cipro.

Mruark Guest

I am located in chiefland fl its about an hr away from gainesville. I understand that shaving a sliver in not a correct way of measuring dosing but I felt like if I didn't do something fast he wasn't going to make it I'm not a professional in anyway but I love all creatures and didn't want him to die he has slowed his breathing since the dose so I am assuming it is starting to help since before I gave it to him he was gasping for air by the second I also went to my children's pediatrician who is trying to help me as well she gave me a small syringe and some saline to hydrate him and is getting me in touch with someone who has helped rescue 2 squirrels before and may have some left over medication

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mruark from:

Nancy in New York (10-18-2017)

Mruark Guest

I have called the only 2 vets in my town and they were unwilling to help in anyway but I have the number for a couple more that are out of town that I'm going to call now and see what they say

Call West End on newberry Road that is where I have taken SQ in past ...
    15318 W Newberry Rd
    (352) 472-7626
    You Dot, They Dot, Wee Dot!

Moose the Squirrel Facebook Page

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to weedot from:

Rocky102014 (10-19-2017)

Mruark Guest

Also I don't have a weight scale to weigh him right now but he is very small he fits in the palm of my hand I'm sure he's just a couple grams and the antibiotics doesn't have a mg dose on the bottle it says batrim ds-tablet

Where in Florida are you?

I'm so sorry about the little one and I will say a prayer for both of you tonight. Maybe you could go to visit this person on a better day and visit the squirrels again. She might be able to use your help at some point!

I'm so sorry❤

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.