Thread: Baby was doing fine now refusing to eat

Default Baby was doing fine now refusing to eat

I recently found 2 siblings I believe to be about 6 or 7 weeks old who have recently lost their mother. I took them in and let them slowly adjust and get comfortable to the new surroundings (small hamster cage ine a heating pad) and then started them on Pedialyte to rehydrate them. Both did well with the rehydration fluid so started them on formula both did very well for first 3or 4 days until yesterday the brother started refusing to eat as the sister is still eating just fine. The brother seems to sleep a lot as well recently. When I wake him up and get him out he still seems very active and still has been peeing and pooping. I'm not sure what to do about him refusing any fluids. I've tried to offer banana and small pieces of Apple just to try and get something into his stomach besides a couple drops of Pedialyte here and there that I can get him to take. Not sure what to do now.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilslmj from:

LR (10-19-2017)

Default Re: Baby was doing fine now refusing to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Lilslmj View Post
    I recently found 2 siblings I believe to be about 6 or 7 weeks old who have recently lost their mother. I took them in and let them slowly adjust and get comfortable to the new surroundings (small hamster cage ine a heating pad) and then started them on Pedialyte to rehydrate them. Both did well with the rehydration fluid so started them on formula both did very well for first 3or 4 days until yesterday the brother started refusing to eat as the sister is still eating just fine. The brother seems to sleep a lot as well recently. When I wake him up and get him out he still seems very active and still has been peeing and pooping. I'm not sure what to do about him refusing any fluids. I've tried to offer banana and small pieces of Apple just to try and get something into his stomach besides a couple drops of Pedialyte here and there that I can get him to take. Not sure what to do now.
    Have you ever raised squirrels before?
    What formula are you using?
    What size syringe are you using and are you using a nipple?
    Can you post a picture?
    Many times when they refuse to eat, we try
    making the formula warmer, and/or stimulating them to pee.
    Try some warm water with just a touch of honey for taste to
    see if that will entice him to take something by mouth.
    Here is a great link to baby squirrel care.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button at the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 10-19-2017 at 06:10 AM.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-19-2017), island rehabber (10-19-2017), LR (10-19-2017), stepnstone (10-19-2017)

I have four huge eyes still closed babies. Two of them are eager to eat during feedings. The other two lose their minds, punch and kick the syringe and squirm and fight in anticipation of eating. After making a straight jacket with my hand and putting a few drops in their mouth, they "get it" and begin sucking. This happens EVERY single time. They're exhausting.

Sometimes what seems like fighting the syringe, pushing it away, etc, is actually just a really excited baby. Be patient and offer a few drops, see if a light goes on, try a few more, wait, etc. Good luck!.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Nancy in New York (10-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Have you ever raised squirrels before?
    What formula are you using?
    What size syringe are you using and are you using a nipple?
    Can you post a picture?
    Many times when they refuse to eat, we try
    making the formula warmer, and/or stimulating them to pee.
    Try some warm water with just a touch of honey for taste to
    see if that will entice him to take something by mouth.
    Here is a great link to baby squirrel care.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button at the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    I have raised 1 squirrel from 2 weeks old so I'm new and have read and researched a lot.
    Currently I'm using esbilac goats milk puppy formula. (I need to get fresh goats milk and mix my own up)
    I was using a 1cc but now I'm using a 3cc with a nipple.
    I've tried different temps formula. He just stares and turns his head away. I've also noticed he seems to breath rather fast compared to his sister but I don't hear any clicking so I don't think it's aspiration. I will try the warm water with honey next.
    As soon as I figure out how to post a pic from my phone I will post one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lilslmj:

LR (10-19-2017), Rocky102014 (10-19-2017)

Update
    Ok he finally ate a little this morning (about 4.5cc) guess that's better then nothing.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lilslmj:

LR (10-19-2017), Nancy in New York (10-19-2017)

Hi! What helped you decide to mix the goat milk and Esbilac? Was he having trouble with just the Powdered Esbilac? Are you mixing yogurt and cream in with the goat milk?

Please don't get frustrated by all of the questions...it's helpful to know what you've already used or tried.

Is this what you are using??

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  6.2 KB

Be patient with him. We can't rush feedings. They would lazily lay around and nurse on mom all night but we put them on a rigid schedule, expect them to take large amounts with extended time in between, etc. It sounds like he's a lazy eater or getting stuck in a daze suck, where they just sort of suck and kind of swallow then when it's not coming out, snap back into reality and get pushy again.

You'll figure it out, but take your time.

Do you hear a clicking sound when he breathes?

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

missPixy (10-19-2017), Rocky102014 (10-19-2017), SammysMom (10-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Is this what you are using??

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  6.2 KB
    Yes that's the stuff I got.

He does seem really lazy when he's in the cage but as soon as I get him out of the cage and he feels comfortable he's wound and hyper

No clicking sounds that's the first thing I was worried about.

Ive tried Pedialyte again he wasn't interested tried formula at different temps most of the time he would lick the little drops on his lips but then wanted back in the cage with his sister so he would try to get away from the formula. He nibbles on almond slices here and there but idk how much he's eating cause I find pcs broken up in the cage. I tried the honey water and that went about the same as the rest he would lick a couple drops then try to get away back to the cage. Seems he's always worried about his sister more then eating

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilslmj from:

LR (10-19-2017)

They need the powdered Esbilac (not Goat's Milk Esbilac).. picture below. Goat's milk is typically only used as a temporary formula until Esbilac or FV can be obtained.

These two are way too young to be giving any nuts, they need to be introduced to rodent block as their first and only solid food until after they are eating that regularly. And even after that they get nothing else until they have finished their block.

Attached Images Attached Images  

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

LR (10-19-2017), Nancy in New York (10-19-2017)

I'll go get reg esbilac then and I've tried feeding them rodent block but it seems as they only wasn't to crush it up and not actually eat it. How old till they can have nuts cause I have a 13 week old that I've been feeding different fruits & vegetables and nuts. And I got him to take 5cc this morning but when I went to feed him again he just refused to have any interest in the food so idk if there is something wrong with him or he's just not hungry. When he's awake and out of the cage and I'm holding him he's got plenty of energy. I just don't want anything to happen to him

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilslmj from:

LR (10-19-2017)

What would cause him to breath really fast compared to his sister? Seems as though his belly is moving quickly as he breathes and not so much his chest area. I'm really worried about him.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilslmj from:

LR (10-19-2017)

I'll go get reg esbilac then and I've tried feeding them rodent block but it seems as they only wasn't to crush it up and not actually eat it. How old till they can have nuts cause I have a 13 week old that I've been feeding different fruits & vegetables and nuts. And I got him to take 5cc this morning but when I went to feed him again he just refused to have any interest in the food so idk if there is something wrong with him or he's just not hungry. When he's awake and out of the cage and I'm holding him he's got plenty of energy. I just don't want anything to happen to him
    Nuts are a "treat" and not any sort of nutritional food. Give them about as much nuts as you would a human toddler gummy bears. Here is the healthy diet pyramid:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Yes, they will chew up the block for a while and seem not to really eat much if it for a week or two before they start actually consuming good portions of the block.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

LR (10-20-2017), SammysMom (10-19-2017)

What would cause him to breath really fast compared to his sister? Seems as though his belly is moving quickly as he breathes and not so much his chest area. I'm really worried about him.
    Hold him up to your ear and listen for a "clicking" with each breath.. or crackling in his chest like rice crispies. DO you hear either of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Hold him up to your ear and listen for a "clicking" with each breath.. or crackling in his chest like rice crispies. DO you hear either of these?
    No don't hear and clicking or crackling. I believe he sneezes every now and then. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

How often is he sneezing? I know you said "every now and then" but is it every five or ten minutes? Once an hour? Couple of times a day? Allergies happen in squirrels just like humans. Have you changed laundry soap? What you clean their cage with? The material you have for them to sleep on? Are you using an "air freshener" in the room they stay in? (Just ask me about allergies - I have a nine year old grandson who lives with me that has more than his fair share of them!)

If I were you one of the first things I would do is clean out his cage. Take all the little stashes out. No more of any thing except formula and block for a while . What kind of block do you have for them?
    The Henry's are a supplement to their diet and each squirrel gets two a day. Later you will feed them foods from the nutrition chart in addition to the Henry's block. Rodent block at first is given just a couple a day to get them used to it. Later as the squirrel weans off formula the block amount is increased. It is formulated to be a complete diet. Kind of like feeding your pet dog nothing but dogfood.

Squirrels can catch a cold. It can turn into an infection very quickly though. That's why you were ask to check for clicking/crackling from his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnRobbins View Post
    How often is he sneezing? I know you said "every now and then" but is it every five or ten minutes? Once an hour? Couple of times a day? Allergies happen in squirrels just like humans. Have you changed laundry soap? What you clean their cage with? The material you have for them to sleep on? Are you using an "air freshener" in the room they stay in? (Just ask me about allergies - I have a nine year old grandson who lives with me that has more than his fair share of them!)

If I were you one of the first things I would do is clean out his cage. Take all the little stashes out. No more of any thing except formula and block for a while . What kind of block do you have for them?
    The Henry's are a supplement to their diet and each squirrel gets two a day. Later you will feed them foods from the nutrition chart in addition to the Henry's block. Rodent block at first is given just a couple a day to get them used to it. Later as the squirrel weans off formula the block amount is increased. It is formulated to be a complete diet. Kind of like feeding your pet dog nothing but dogfood.

I feed then mazuri rat and mouse block. Andi do have a candle warmer in the house. I notice he sneezes the most when I'm holding him so it could be from cologne or something on me.