Thread: Sharing?

Default Sharing?

Hey all! I love my little squirmble, but he's always been a singleton, and lately with my job keeping me out of the house for long hours, he's not getting the attention I normally give him, and I really think he'd be happier with a friend. However, I can't take in a second squirmble (and he's afraid of other squirmies, too), so I was wondering if anyone else has had success in keeping mixed species together? Maybe a rabbit, a guinea pig, a chinchilla, a rat, or something? Please let me know. Thanks!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chikazz from:

LR (10-18-2017)

Default Re: Sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chikazz View Post
    Hey all! I love my little squirmble, but he's always been a singleton, and lately with my job keeping me out of the house for long hours, he's not getting the attention I normally give him, and I really think he'd be happier with a friend. However, I can't take in a second squirmble (and he's afraid of other squirmies, too), so I was wondering if anyone else has had success in keeping mixed species together? Maybe a rabbit, a guinea pig, a chinchilla, a rat, or something? Please let me know. Thanks!!
    The answer to mixing species is no! It would be disastrous for one or the other with devastating results.
    Even introducing another squirrel has it's age limits to acceptance.
    The majority of squirrels are solitary by nature excluding those such as flyers that are communal.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (10-18-2017), LR (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    The answer to mixing species is no! It would be disastrous for one or the other with devastating results.
    Even introducing another squirrel has it's age limits to acceptance.
    The majority of squirrels are solitary by nature excluding those such as flyers that are communal.

Hm... Well, he's a foxer, so that's a no then. Okay. still, he just seems bored. I've tried hiding treats, buying new toys, I got him a new hammock, new bedding, I've been keeping his diet varied (Besides the HHBs - he loves them and he inhales them). He isn't getting much "out" time lately because I'm just not home... It just seems like he's down, or maybe it's the cold weather? He's eating and drinking just fine, and he isn't sick as far as I can tell. He's super excited to see me when I bring him breakfast or get home from work, all buzzy buzzy for a minute or two, but then he goes back to lounging around, draped across his big round pillows, like a little sloth. He isn't leaving his cage much now either lately. It's strange to me, I thought he'd want "out" time really badly, given that he gets less of it right now. Help would be appreciated, thanks!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chikazz from:

LR (10-18-2017)

Foxers are generally big, lazy babies from what I understand, from those who have had NR foxers for years. They are not as hyper, snappy or restless as greys and certainly nowhere near the frantic slippery zoomyness of flyers . So long as his diet is good he is probably ok physically, but is it possible he is longing for the outdoors?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (10-18-2017), LR (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Foxers are generally big, lazy babies from what I understand, from those who have had NR foxers for years. They are not as hyper, snappy or restless as greys and certainly nowhere near the frantic slippery zoomyness of flyers . So long as his diet is good he is probably ok physically, but is it possible he is longing for the outdoors?
    If he is bored and longing for the outdoors, is there any reason he could not be slowly wilded up and released?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Nancy in New York (10-18-2017)

I tried that when I got him. I took him to Duckman and we tried to release him. He had such a bad time that after a few days they told me he wasn't eating or drinking, the outdoors was scaring him and he was terrified of other squirrels. Had no idea what they were. They asked me if I'd take him back. I did. I love him, so it was an easy call. That was three years ago. He's happy and healthy and a bit chubby. His name is Secret, if you look at my posts you'll see the whole thing

We had him neutered when we found out he wasn't releasable and he was coming home to stay, so there's that, too.

I just want my lil fuzzy buzzer to be happy.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chikazz:

Lighten-Up (10-18-2017), Rocky102014 (10-19-2017)