Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baby flyer now losing hair.

Default Re: Baby flyer now losing hair.

Also, do you have an idea of age? I saw on 10/7 you said he was 5.5 weeks based on when the eyes opened. Is that possible because that was over 3 weeks ago. That would make him 8-9 weeks old. Did I read that right?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (11-01-2017)

I’m not sure on age bc I’ve read various charts on when the eyes open. But his eyes opened on Sept 22. And I got him from the finder on the Sept 23. And yes I can see the milk line every time. Thanks for your help.!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-01-2017)

I'm glad to hear that you can see the milk line. I would watch the milk line to make sure it's moving. If the milk line is gone I would start moving the feeding interval up. I would do it slowly... 4 hr interval and see how things progress.

The chart here was compiled by a member of this board who raised MANY flyers. They took their data and made the chart. They are in Texas and I think the data is very good.

Let me do a little math based on eyes open at 28 days.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (11-01-2017)

Will do.! I just gave him a avocado piece about the size of a HHP block and he loved it and ate it., I read that can help him gain weight to. Should I night feed him to.? I just recently cut the night feedings out where his last meal is at midnight and first meal is at 6am. I’ll start the 4 hour intervals. I know the milk line is completely gone when I feed him., so maybe should I check him every hour while at work to see as soon as it’s gone.? I don’t normally check on him until it’s time to eat again., bc of my hectic work schedule but I can make time for sure.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-01-2017)

Based on eyes open on Sept 22 and calculated at 28 days, the birth date would be approximately August 25. That would make him 9 weeks old on Friday. You said he weighs 18g today. That's would be the weight for a 3 week old flyer.

I'm interested to see what Anne thinks but we have to consider that this little fellow might have 'more' going on here than just diet, absorption, diarrhea and hair loss. There might be a physiological problem that would be way beyond our ability to correct. Of course, we stay the course as long as he is gaining that gram and not losing.

We have my 56g 7 year old to encourage us along.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (11-01-2017), Mel1959 (11-01-2017), Nancy in New York (11-02-2017), RobynRoberts (11-01-2017)

And to make sure I understand right., the failure to thrive can cause the itchiness and hairloss.? Bc he is soooo itchy., I feel so bad.! And what fur he has left he is licking off. He was licking his front leg every couple of mins or so and I notice a bald spot forming there., and then he would go to town on itching with his back legs on his side on his head. And then take his front legs and rub rub rub his face.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-01-2017)

I think stepping up the interval to 4 will be good to start. I wouldn't want to do any changes quickly with Beeline. SLOOOWWWW and EASY! See how he tolerated the 4 hr feeding interval before you start the night feedings again. Start with that and let's see. You might have to go back to 5 hrs at night. I like the idea of solid foods. That might be why his stomach is gurgling.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (11-01-2017), RobynRoberts (11-01-2017)

I’m so afraid there is more to it also.! However in person he really does look pretty healthy weight wise for his body size. Those pics make him look awful body condition wise.. of course the hair loss isn’t pretty. He is starting to look like a hair less mouse. And sorry I posted that last one before I read your response.!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-01-2017)

I also have a video of him running up and down me. If it’s beneficial to see him in action. I can email it to y’all if you need me.! Anything to help my boy.!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RobynRoberts View Post
    And to make sure I understand right., the failure to thrive can cause the itchiness and hairloss.? Bc he is soooo itchy., I feel so bad.! And what fur he has left he is licking off. He was licking his front leg every couple of mins or so and I notice a bald spot forming there., and then he would go to town on itching with his back legs on his side on his head. And then take his front legs and rub rub rub his face.
    Failure to thrive would indicate that nutrients are not being absorbed. I could understand the lack of weight gain while the diarrhea was present but now that that has passed he should be gaining weight if he is utilizing the formula. He doesn't appear to be.

Yes, nutritional problems can cause the itchiness and loss of hair. I'm not saying this is Metabolic Bone Disease but when MBD (low calcium) is present squirrels get tingly itchy sensations. Sometimes they will overgroom or even chew the feet or a 'hot spot' due to these sensations. That's why I think we have to consider nutrition as a cause of the hair loss. Also, protein deficiency itself can cause hair loss.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (11-01-2017), Mel1959 (11-01-2017)

I am sending you a PM with my phone number, give me a call. Tonight will be fine, I will be having a stress test at my cardiologist office tomorrow morning and won't be able to talk until after noon.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Anne:

cava (11-01-2017), HRT4SQRLS (11-01-2017), LR (11-01-2017), Nancy in New York (11-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RobynRoberts View Post
    I also have a video of him running up and down me. If it’s beneficial to see him in action. I can email it to y’all if you need me.! Anything to help my boy.!
    Can you put the video on a YouTube link. Sorry, I have no idea how to do that.
    I'll check back in tomorrow. I haven't feed my boys yet.

One other thing... are you sure your scale is correct? Maybe someone can weigh some items on their scale and compare weights. Weigh 4 quarters or nickels and have someone else do the same.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (11-01-2017)

Ann sorry I never seen that post or msg till this morning.! My phone is very delayed when it comes to getting notifications from here.

I could email it if you private msg me a email address.!

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-02-2017)

I tried to quickly skim your thread and see
    that you have the best of the best on here.

I see that you are feeding Esbilac, can you tell us if
    it's the one pictured below? I know you must have
    already answered this.

So this morning I weighed two quarters which according to google should weigh 11.3 and it weighed 11. So I’m sure my scale is right. And today Beeline weighed 19 grams. I weigh him every morning. I also cooked him a egg. Which he didn’t like. Of course. I can’t get him to eat anything protein and I am running out of ideas. He loves yogurt drops., cauliflower., avocado and somewhat cheese shreds and picky eaters blocks. Like I said he won’t touch a hi protein block., a meal worm or cricket or eggs apparently. I’m gonna try grinding up the protein blocks and maybe mixing it in with yogurt or sour cream.?

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (11-02-2017)

Yes that’s it.! The one with probiotics in the little blue ribbon at the top.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RobynRoberts:

LR (11-02-2017), Nancy in New York (11-02-2017)

And the coconut oil made the flaky spot and scab on his shoulder disappear.

33. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RobynRoberts:

cava (11-02-2017), LR (11-02-2017), Nancy in New York (11-02-2017)

I would not use sour cream.
    Try to get some Wax Worms ASAP
    Get a hold of Anne later today.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

LR (11-02-2017)

I would not use sour cream.
    Try to get some Wax Worms ASAP
    Get a hold of Anne later today.

What about a stool sample have you run one to see if he has parasites?

37. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

LR (11-02-2017)

Sour cream is on the flying squirrel healthy diet list under calcium., and yes multiple times have no seen anything

39. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RobynRoberts:

cava (11-02-2017), LR (11-02-2017)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast