Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby flyer now losing hair.

Default Baby flyer now losing hair.

As many of you recall the baby flyer that crashed from Hypoglycemia twice and then had diarrhea that would seem to get better then get worse then get better. Now we’re on to a new problem. “Beeline” is his name., as far as the past he is doing GREAT full of energy and personality., eats great., has gained 4 grams., no diarrhea. But now., we are losing hair., he has lost hair around his back legs almost up to his hips., and Now behind his left ear. I have noticed him scratching behind his ear recently. What is going on now.? This flyer has been the hardest flyer for me ever to raise.! Jet and Rocket I had no problems with. All these problems coming up are so new to me. The spots are light pink where the hair was and not raw or scabby.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-18-2017)

Default Re: Baby flyer now losing hair.

Can we have a picture? I didn't read ur old thread sorry . My flyer pulls out his own fur, no idea why. It might just be a habit, but I'm trying to break it. It's getting better. Is it all red and scratchy looking, Or does the skin look normal? Have u seen him over grooming those areas? What do u feed him?
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

LR (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Floppysquirrel04 View Post
    Can we have a picture? I didn't read ur old thread sorry . My flyer pulls out his own fur, no idea why. It might just be a habit, but I'm trying to break it. It's getting better. Is it all red and scratchy looking, Or does the skin look normal? Have u seen him over grooming those areas? What do u feed him?

While not a flyer expect, I have always understood that this over-grooming type of activity comes about as a result of boredom. Especially with single flyers. That regularly introducing (or rotating) new sources of distractions can help provide distractions and they'll not spend as much time over grooming.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

LR (10-30-2017)

Spanky, I have thought about boredom before, and even now am changing the toys every few days. It has gotten better, but not all the way. I'm not sure if it's boredom because he has so many things to keep him busy.
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    - Farley Mowat

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

LR (10-30-2017)

The patches where the hairloss is, is just light pink, not raw or anything, pretty smooth and pink. He eats Esbiliac with protein and probiotics, I have tried the other formulas, this is the only one that has worked for him. He weighs 16 grams now. I feed him every 4 hours, age - his eyes opened on the 22nd of Sept. I have tried introducing him to HHP flyer blocks he has no interest in them, I have also tried mealworms and veggies, again no interest. He eats every 4 hours ~0.75-0.9 of formula. He also likes plain water now to, I still keep him in a box with a heating pad. Towel inbetween him and heating pad, with fleece like blanket and shreds of that blanket, he also has a fleece Sugar Glider Pouch he sleeps in. I haven't noticed him over grooming, but I have noticed him scratching behind that left ear some. Although I dont pay attention to him much while at work except to feed him. I am a CVT and I work in a busy animal hospital, so I dont have time to really be taking him out, until I get home and on weekends. Name:  A617C19F-37D4-4311-BA7B-7161FE7CDBD6.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  61.8 KBName:  64ABBFD9-AA2A-4ACB-BC4A-984275EFE9BF.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  68.2 KB

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

And it now has gone to the side of his face on his left side, which he still is itching pretty often.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RobynRoberts View Post
    And it now has gone to the side of his face on his left side, which he still is itching pretty often.

Could this be from formula scald? Are you cleaning him up after formula feedings? Formula getting on their fur can cause those patterns of hair loss..

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

LR (10-30-2017)

At first I thought the hairloss on the legs was from scold for the severe diarrhea he had going on. But it has just progressed. And yes I wipe his face off, feet off, and if he has anything on his bottom. After every feeding.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

Id there anything I can do to treat it? Or even help it? or is this something that will go away on its own. It seems to be getting worse by the day, he acts over all fine and healthy, despite the itchyness he has around the head area on the left side.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

Could he have mites or a fungus? Can your Vets look at him and see what they think?

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

LR (10-30-2017)

I’m not sure on how to tell., this all started suddenly. And neither one of them are familiar with squirrels at all unaforturntley.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

So a few things.

Now that the diarrhea is over, I think it would be a good idea to VERY SLOWLY being to introduce some things to boost the formula - flyers need a richer formula than other tree squirrels.

What you want to end up with will be 3 parts of the regular esbilac mixed up as he had been taking it, 1/2 part full fat vanilla yogurt and 1/2 - 3/4 part heavy cows cream. To make that easier, to 3 teaspoons of mixed up formula you would add 1/2 teaspoon of the yogurt and 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of the heavy cream.

You don't want to suddenly switch to this though. Spend several days making the full change. Start by just adding a couple drops of the yogurt and cream to the regular formula and feed that for several feedings. Next time you mix up formula, add a few more drops and so on until you finally get to full strength. You literally can't change their food over too slowly, and doing it that way is the best way to avid stomach issues.

I am not sure what is going on with the skin, but I suggest you try this: Go to the drug store to the wound care section and buy a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine (feel free to buy the store brand instead). Add 15-20 drops of the liquid to 1/4 cup of water and using either a q-tip or even better, a small watercolor brush, wipe down all of the bare areas. It doesn't burn, it isn't sticky and won't yuck up the fur and is antibacterial and antifungal. I would use warm water to mix it up so it feels good and make sure he stays warm until it dries. Do this at least once a day for 3 or 4 days and then see if you begin to see improvement.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

LR (10-30-2017), RobynRoberts (10-18-2017)

Thanks so much.! I’ve been researching all day on the squirrel board on what I can add to his diet to help him gain weight.!
    And I have access to a ton of meds etc thanks to my veterinary hospital I work at., so I have iodine., but will it hurt him if he licks it.? I was putting animax on his raw butt and that helped out a lot., I thought about putting that on his skin as well., bc it has a antibacterial and antifungal component in it. And is pretty safe to use on just about anything.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

Could you get a skin scraping? Goodness I always forget how TINY they are as babies .
    - Anatole France

- Farley Mowat

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

LR (10-30-2017)

So Beeline is still losing hair. He has lost quiet a bit. I was hoping it was diet related and would resolve but it’s been a little over a week and if anything he has lost more and is getting a scab between his shoulder blades. Tonight I started the diluted idodine., I have a picture of him but won’t be able to upload it til tomorrow. Any other suggestions tips or tricks Incase he idodine don’t help.?

Here are current pictures, this is after i put the Diluted Idodine on him but with his fur wet it shows the bald spots on him better.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

LR (10-30-2017)

We’re on day 2 of idodine., the scabbing between his shoulder blades looks worse. Still scratching And I feel like when I put the diluted iodine on him it makes him itchier.? He starts running around and running up against anything he can. Or maybe he just doesn’t like being wet.?

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RobynRoberts from:

cava (10-30-2017)

On another note could this possibly be heat related.? When I take him to work with me., he is in a box in a mesh bag with his glider pouch.. On a heating pad. And then at home he is in a tote with a little bit of the lid cut out covered by fencing material so he can get air., with a tunnel a blanket and a pouch with a heating pad under the tote on one side. But I do find him under the blanket that covers the bottom of the tot as if he is getting cold at night still. And I keep his blankets and bedding clean including his pouches.

I have no experience with flyers but to be sure have you washed everything he uses in something mild, no fabric softener? Just a suggestion. I hope you get it figured out.

Oh, and my ferrets do the exact same thing when they are wet, wiping on everything until they are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by RobynRoberts View Post
    On another note could this possibly be heat related.? When I take him to work with me., he is in a box in a mesh bag with his glider pouch.. On a heating pad. And then at home he is in a tote with a little bit of the lid cut out covered by fencing material so he can get air., with a tunnel a blanket and a pouch with a heating pad under the tote on one side. But I do find him under the blanket that covers the bottom of the tot as if he is getting cold at night still. And I keep his blankets and bedding clean including his pouches.

Good question. Could you post a photo of each thing to help us see what you mean?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast