Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maybe squirrel pox

Default Re: Maybe squirrel pox

I have dealt with Pox a lot, sadly. That is not Pox. It would never be just one digit and there would also be pox bumps in the genital area, all 4 feet would have all of the toes swollen. Also it doesn't look that color.

I've attached a pix of one of my squirrels (who survived) genital area. These pox lesions at this area appeared at the same time as her swollen digits and eye bumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

cava (10-20-2017), LR (10-23-2017), TubeDriver (10-20-2017)

Ok thank you everyone!!!! I feel a lot better about it now and it looks better the color is going back normal the swelling hasn’t gone down much but it looks a lot better. I was so worried for him and I am so glad I kept him instead of giving him to that lady I would have never be able to live with myself! He’s such a strong boy. I’m having a little problem with him being bloated could that have something to do with the toe?? I just uped his amount of food because he gained some weight so I go back down??

Could you post a picture so folks can see how bloated? You might need to cut back a little on the food if bloat is happening. It’s best to increase food very gradually.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (10-20-2017)

If he is really bloated, skip the next feeding and just provide water. No point in sending in more food if it already is not properly digested. Skipping a meal and giving water allows the gas and poorly processed food to work its way through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by music01 View Post
    Ok thank you everyone!!!! I feel a lot better about it now and it looks better the color is going back normal the swelling hasn’t gone down much but it looks a lot better. I was so worried for him and I am so glad I kept him instead of giving him to that lady I would have never be able to live with myself! He’s such a strong boy. I’m having a little problem with him being bloated could that have something to do with the toe?? I just uped his amount of food because he gained some weight so I go back down??
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (10-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by music01 View Post

Here's a chart that may help you to feed according to the 5-7% "rule of thumb" for their weight in grams.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-20-2017), Chickenlegs (10-20-2017), Grinderhead (10-20-2017)

That’s the chart I follow. But I skipped one and he went back to normal I went back down instead of going up. His toe swelling is going down it lookes like his nail got caught that’s why it swelled up but it’s looking a lot better

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to music01:

cava (10-21-2017), Grinderhead (10-21-2017), island rehabber (10-21-2017), LR (10-23-2017), Nancy in New York (10-21-2017)

He’s toenail is most definitely going to fall off. It looks like his body is pushing it out the redness has gone away but now his toenail is almost all the way to the right and it looks like it’s pushing it out:/. Does seem to bother him but it still is weird to me!!!! My older girl lost half of her tail and I had to wait till the bone dried up and fall off that was a pretty surprising experience and it creeped me out so bad to just see the bone there so hopefully I can deal with the toe lol

music, I'm glad this wasn't pox. Don't worry about the toe nail. It will be fine even if he loses the nail. Even if he lost the entire toe it wouldn't affect his ability to survive in the wild. A missing single nail won't slow him down at all.

I wanted to tell you that I'm happy that you finally got babies. I remember how much you wanted to rehab so I'm glad that it finally happened. I'm also happy that you trusted your instincts and didn't give up on him based on a wrong diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    music, I'm glad this wasn't pox. Don't worry about the toe nail. It will be fine even if he loses the nail. Even if he lost the entire toe it wouldn't affect his ability to survive in the wild. A missing single nail won't slow him down at all.

I wanted to tell you that I'm happy that you finally got babies. I remember how much you wanted to rehab so I'm glad that it finally happened. I'm also happy that you trusted your instincts and didn't give up on him based on a wrong diagnosis.
    Thank you for helping me out and yeah I don’t think I could have lived with myself if I gave him to her and he would have been put down from a hurt toe I think that’s why I couldn’t give him up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123