Thread: Mange help

Post Mange help

I've been asking a lot of questions on here with what has been happening with my baby Lucy and everyone has be so helpful and she seemed to be getting much better. But now it seems as if she's somehow gotten mange/mites. We treated her with a bird mites/lice spray (saw on a site it was okay to use) and at first it seemed to heal up, but now it's spread more and she's losing a lot more hair. She's around 8/9 weeks old and I wasn't sure if Ivermectin was okay to use? Or if there's anything else we can do to get rid of this. I can post pictures in a few when I have my phone on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rae022216:

LR (10-14-2017), Rocky102014 (10-14-2017)

Default Re: Mange help

If you c asn get Revolution flea treatment it works really well on mange mites. Pics will help to be sure that's what it is though.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

astra (10-14-2017), Rocky102014 (10-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    If you c asn get Revolution flea treatment it works really well on mange mites. Pics will help to be sure that's what it is though.
    Name:  mange.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  66.7 KB
    Name:  mange2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  63.6 KB
    Name:  mange3.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  72.5 KB

It was a bit hard getting one of her head because she's a wiggler. But it's been getting worse and we've been trying to figure out what would be best to do since the bird flea/mite spray didn't work and seemed to make it worse

I would use Revolution for sure. If the edges of her ears are as "crispy" as they look, I suspect it is mange.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Can he put a triple antibiotic on it. My cat has come home and would dig leaving bald spots and sores. I would put this on and it always cleared up. Not saying he should because I don't know anything squirrels. Any thoughts?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky102014 from:

Nancy in New York (10-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I would use Revolution for sure. If the edges of her ears are as "crispy" as they look, I suspect it is mange.
    She does have crispy ears, where would I be able to get Revolution from? I'll be in town tomorrow and make sure to get some

A vet usually. They might also sell it behind the counter at human pharmacies. (They do in my area, at least.) You're looking for a cat/kitten dose (not dog) and you'd use ONE drop out of the pipette or you can draw it up into a 1 ml syringe and put ONE drop out of that, on the back of the neck. It get's absorbed through the skin and works all over, not just the place you put it.

The triple antibiotic ointment on the ears will help to avoid a bacterial infection develop on any open skin, and may also be soothing, but it doesn't treat the mange itself. But it's a fine add on treatment.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Nancy in New York (10-15-2017), Rocky102014 (10-15-2017), stepnstone (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    A vet usually. They might also sell it behind the counter at human pharmacies. (They do in my area, at least.) You're looking for a cat/kitten dose (not dog) and you'd use ONE drop out of the pipette or you can draw it up into a 1 ml syringe and put ONE drop out of that, on the back of the neck. It get's absorbed through the skin and works all over, not just the place you put it.

The triple antibiotic ointment on the ears will help to avoid a bacterial infection develop on any open skin, and may also be soothing, but it doesn't treat the mange itself. But it's a fine add on treatment.
    Okay! I'll make sure to get some and do that! We might actually have some at the house. Thank you so much!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rae022216:

cava (10-15-2017), Rocky102014 (10-16-2017)

Update! We got the stuff yesterday from our vet and put one drop on her neck. Today her back looks so much better and there's no crusty stuff anywhere. She's also not scratching as much. our vet said to put one more drop on her in a month

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rae022216:

cava (10-18-2017), stepnstone (10-18-2017)

I'm so glad. Yep, a month sounds good. Show us a photo when it looks all better!