Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Breathe. We're here to help. You got this! You're here asking for help, following instructions and it's obvious you love this baby. We'll get you squared away. In the meantime, while the antibiotics are going to work, you snuggle and kiss him. Your energy will help him heal. (Plus, it doesn't get any easier than loving a squirrel, does it?)
    You are totally rigth. Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

LR (10-13-2017)

Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

Quote Originally Posted by Ballenabeluga View Post
    Thank you. So. I will have to feed him in half an hour. Should I give him the medicine now? Even thougth I am going to feed him in half an hour. I do not have the probiotics. So I could give them to him tomorrow. But, is it ok if do not give him them today. Also, would I need ti give him some extra water to be sure he is hydratated. Just summarizing and being sure i get it rigth
    AGAIN. THANKS A LOT.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

LR (10-13-2017)

Thank you. So. I will have to feed him in half an hour. Should I give him the medicine now? Even thougth I am going to feed him in half an hour. I do not have the probiotics. So I could give them to him tomorrow. But, is it ok if do not give him them today. Also, would I need ti give him some extra water to be sure he is hydratated. Just summarizing and being sure i get it rigth
    Yes you should dose him now. Remember I gave you the loading dose for now.
    All other doses will be cut in half and given 12 hours apart.

You can feed him right after with no problem.

You can get the probiotics tomorrow but still dose him tonight.

Yes as I mentioned in the pm, anytime a squirrel is on any meds. give
    him extra hydration.
    You can give him warm water with just a touch of honey for taste.
    Do that in between formula feedings a couple of times a day, ok?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Yes you should dose him now. Remember I gave you the loading dose for now.
    All other doses will be cut in half and given 12 hours apart.

You can feed him right after with no problem.

You can get the probiotics tomorrow but still dose him tonight.

Yes as I mentioned in the pm, anytime a squirrel is on any meds. give
    him extra hydration.
    You can give him warm water with just a touch of honey for taste.
    Do that in between formula feedings a couple of times a day, ok?
    Thank you so much. Yes. I totally got it. Just one more question. The rest of the medicine is going to be 1.15 then half of that or just 1.15 for the rest of it!? I am sorry. Just making sure. Thank you si so so much

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

LR (10-13-2017)

Thank you so much. Yes. I totally got it. Just one more question. The rest of the medicine is going to be 1.15 then half of that or just 1.15 for the rest of it!? I am sorry. Just making sure. Thank you si so so much
    No hold on. I am going to post what I wrote in the pm, in case you have any questions and I'm not on to answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York
    You take ONE Cipro 500 mg and crush that into a fine powder.
    Place that into a small container with a lid.
    to that you are going to add 22 mLs of water.
    Shake this up really well before administering.
    Keep this in the refrig.
    Discard after 10 days.
    Always give probiotics 2 hours prior or after dosing any antibiotic
    Keep him well hydrated while on any drugs.

For a little one that weighs 70 grams, the LOADING dose will be 0.03 mLs.
    Every dose after that is cut in half and dosed TWICE daily at 0.015 mLs 12 hours apart.
    Dose for 5-7 days.

RED arrow indicates loading dose to be given once now.
    GREEN arrow indicates twice daily dosing to be given 12 hours apart.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LR (10-13-2017), MissAmy (10-19-2017)

No hold on. I am going to post what I wrote in the pm, in case you have any questions and I'm not on to answer:
    Got it! I am sorry! Thank you so so so much.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ballenabeluga:

LR (10-13-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

The loading dose which should be given NOW is 0.03 where the red arrow is. That amount is given once.
    All doses after that are cut in half and dosed at 0.015 12 hours apart.
    It is very important to watch where you put the decimal point.
    Just look at the syringe photo.
    The 0.03 will amount to about 2-3 drops. Practice first on your hand
    and see how many drops you get.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-19-2017), LR (10-13-2017)

Got it! I am sorry! Thank you so so so much.
    Never a problem, I promise. This can be confusing, and I'm thrilled that you double check everything.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-13-2017)

Never a problem, I promise. This can be confusing, and I'm thrilled that you double check everything.
    Thank you. So so much. He is not sneezing rigth now since i told yoilu guys. He was very happy to be eating and he seeks ok. I eill keep updating on him. Thank you!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ballenabeluga:

LR (10-13-2017), Nancy in New York (10-13-2017)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in that Ballenabeluga has done a tremendous job with little Isaac. I went and saw him the first week she had him and I'm not sure how that little guy made it all the way to her hands. Imagine days of almond milk and expired human formula given with a regular dropper. In all fairness to the people who had him first, after the hurricane I don't know if they had electricity or Internet, and they were at least willing to give him to someone who would put in effort to do things the right way. But it was an awful lot for one so small to go through.

Ballenabeluga has been keeping me posted via text on his progress, and he has steadily improved. I went and looked at him earlier today and also took her a 3cc syringe to move into when he's ready (so I can vouch for her having the proper materials). I feel a little stupid for not asking about the formula proportions she was using. I gave her the mixing instructions and the Esbilac initially, as well as instructions for how to transition to the fox valley safely since she'd already ordered it. It totally slipped my mind that I might need to ask how she was mixing the new stuff once he was fully transitioned :/ Anyway, I saw him at 6 today and that's when we heard the sneezing... Very faint, but not a good sign, and she told me about the nipple coming off during his feeding.
    I was sorry I hadn't thought to bring any Baytril. I live close to 2 hours away and going home to get some would've been difficult, especially as my own little guys were waiting to be fed. When I realized she had CIPRO though, I knew someone here could give her the proper dosing and help this little guy! I know, now that he's got some antibiotics in him, he'll be doing much better by Tom.
    His mom is really very dedicated to doing everything necessary for this little baby and I'm very proud of the work she's put in this far. I added pics she's sent me below and if you compare now to her first thread, the improvement is really quite astonishing.

The question I have now is, is it necessary to switch to Baytril? Driving all that way isn't optimal, but I'm willing to go up there Tom if the experts think it would be better for him. I haven't been in the position of using human antibiotics with them for the last couple years, and my instinct is to use the Baytril whenever possible. The dosing is simple enough because mine is compounded for a baby only a few grams larger, so I can divide the weights to find out the difference and give her an exact amount. Just wondering how necessary it is.

Oh, and about his weight... This guy was definitely malnourished when Ballenabeluga got him, but honestly I'm not surprised he's still so small at this age. I don't know what's going on but all the babies this year seem to have been especially tiny. The lot that I got out of Tampa were all eye-open babies and the smallest weighed only 54g. By all accounts all of mine were reasonably healthy and lively, and they're doing well now... But still so very little. It's a bit disconcerting actually.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

20. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to mel_la_fee:

cava (10-13-2017), LR (10-13-2017), MissAmy (10-19-2017), Rocky102014 (10-19-2017), UDoWhat (10-13-2017)

I just want to clarify.
    Baytril and Cipro are basically the same drug.
    Baytril is for animals and Cipro is for humans.

Thanks for posting the pictures, he is absolutely precious.

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-13-2017), LR (10-13-2017), UDoWhat (10-13-2017)

Thanks, Nancy!

I just wasn't sure if the body processed them differently because of how they were manufactured/who they were manufactured for. It seems like the littlest things can make a difference sometimes. If it's not going to matter though, then I imagine it's just as well that he stay on whatever's available.

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to mel_la_fee:

cava (10-13-2017), LR (10-13-2017), Mel1959 (10-13-2017), Nancy in New York (10-13-2017)

Just an update guys... Little Isaac is no longer sniffling and he weighs 90 grams now. That seems like a huge jump, but -as pointed out by other members- I suspect he weighed less before because of dehydration. His mom says he is doing great and he has started nibbling on his HHBs, which he "loovvvvvvvvves".

Three cheers!

26. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to mel_la_fee:

cava (10-19-2017), MissAmy (10-19-2017), Nancy in New York (10-19-2017), Rocky102014 (10-19-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12