Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Hello everyone. I have a trouble here my little squirrel Isaac. He is
    Sneezing because he got milk in his lungs earlier today. At 5 and he have been sneezing. The bipple felt off and i dont know what should I do. I could get Baytril tomorrow but rigth now I have ciprofloxacina 500 mg. What should I do? Should i dose him now with this? Or should I wait for tomorroe? If I should how much shoul I give him. Please help. Thak you everyone. I am sorry I am pretty scared. He is like 6 weeks old and he is 70 grams.

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    Thanked: 2168

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Hang on a sec, someone will be on to give you dosage instructions for the ciprofloxicin. In the mean time what size/type syringe and what type nipples are you using so we can hopefully keep it from happening again...

  4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

    Ballenabeluga (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Hang on a sec, someone will be on to give you dosage instructions for the ciprofloxicin. In the mean time what size/type syringe and what type nipples are you using so we can hopefully keep it from happening again...
    1cc syringe. And a miracle nipple. I did not know really what happened. I juat went of! He is not sneezing like crazy but he is. So I am worried.

  6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Hang on a sec, someone will be on to give you dosage instructions for the ciprofloxicin. In the mean time what size/type syringe and what type nipples are you using so we can hopefully keep it from happening again...
    Thank you ao much for answering so quickly.

  8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ballenabeluga:

    cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    Thanked: 2168

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    In the mean time, keep him warm and comfy. Lots of babies who aspirate do just fine if started on antibiotics right away. We'll get him smoothed out tonight. You have to wait for people who have babies to finish feeding every few hours to get on so keep refreshing your page and don't leave.

    Accidents happen. I'm sure you'll be the slowest feeder ever, if you're anything like me, after this. One nose snort of milk and I have a coronary and walk around with a baby against my ear while they squirm and complain. Then I have po'ed babies because I don't feed them "fast enough". Thankfully now, they don't mess around during feeding and I have a quad army of super suckers, instead of guppy mouthing, slobber faces.

    Oh, you'll be giving probiotics two hours before OR after his cipro doses. Do you have any?

  10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

    Ballenabeluga (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

  11. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    In the mean time, keep him warm and comfy. Lots of babies who aspirate do just fine if started on antibiotics right away. We'll get him smoothed out tonight. You have to wait for people who have babies to finish feeding every few hours to get on so keep refreshing your page and don't leave.

    Accidents happen. I'm sure you'll be the slowest feeder ever, if you're anything like me, after this. One nose snort of milk and I have a coronary and walk around with a baby against my ear while they squirm and complain. Then I have po'ed babies because I don't feed them "fast enough". Thankfully now, they don't mess around during feeding and I have a quad army of super suckers, instead of guppy mouthing, slobber faces.

    Oh, you'll be giving probiotics two hours before OR after his cipro doses. Do you have any?
    Thank you, yes. Well, we just noticed him sneezing! So that is why I am worried. I fed him at 5. And it was a bunch of milk. Maybe I pressed too hard for once or the nipple was obstructed I an not very sure. Yes I do feed him very very slow. But, this was a total accident. Prebiotics? Well I Honestly dont know. Isaac is my very first squirrel so I am very nee with this. He was like 2 weeks old when we got him. I only know that I remember someine told me "Sbilac Milk with Prebiotics" once. I have Sbilac if that would work. I am feeding him FOX VALLEY DAY ONE. Thank you!

  12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  13. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    40,104
    Thanked: 13699

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    I will dose the Cipro 500 mg. give me a few minutes to write this up.
    Your little one is so small at 6 weeks and 70 grams, what formula are you feeding?
    If you have a nasal aspirator, you can carefully suction out his nose.
    Do so VERY carefully.
    OR
    You can gently give it a little suck yourself, and then wipe his nose.

    Edit: Dosing sent.

  14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    cava (10-12-2017), Grinderhead (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  15. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    3,143
    Thanked: 2060

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballenabeluga View Post
    Thank you, yes. Well, we just noticed him sneezing! So that is why I am worried. I fed him at 5. And it was a bunch of milk. Maybe I pressed too hard for once or the nipple was obstructed I an not very sure. Yes I do feed him very very slow. But, this was a total accident. Prebiotics? Well I Honestly dont know. Isaac is my very first squirrel so I am very nee with this. He was like 2 weeks old when we got him. I only know that I remember someine told me "Sbilac Milk with Prebiotics" once. I have Sbilac if that would work. I am feeding him FOX VALLEY DAY ONE. Thank you!

    Are you feeding Fox Valley 32/40 or Fox Valley 20/50?

    Is the Esbilac you have the powdered version like in this picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    Ballenabeluga (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  17. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I will dose the Cipro 500 mg. give me a few minutes to write this up.
    Your little one is so small at 6 weeks and 70 grams, what formula are you feeding?
    If you have a nasal aspirator, you can carefully suction out his nose.
    Do so VERY carefully.
    OR
    You can gently give it a little suck yourself, and then wipe his nose.
    Hello! Yes. He is a small little guy. He was so so very underweight when we got him. He was 36 grams. So so so tiny. He have got a lot of weight and he is happy and healthy. We are going to go up little now that he js (I was feeding him 4ml) I hope he will gain more weigth soon. But he jumps and walks and crawls. He is a whole lot better than how he was.

  18. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

    Are you feeding Fox Valley 32/40 or Fox Valley 20/50?

    Is the Esbilac you have the powdered version like in this picture:
    20/50. And yes. That is it.

  19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  20. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    40,104
    Thanked: 13699

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballenabeluga View Post
    Hello! Yes. He is a small little guy. He was so so very underweight when we got him. He was 36 grams. So so so tiny. He have got a lot of weight and he is happy and healthy. We are going to go up little now that he js (I was feeding him 4ml) I hope he will gain more weigth soon. But he jumps and walks and crawls. He is a whole lot better than how he was.
    OK for a 70 grams squirrel the range if going by the 5-7% rule of thumb is 3.5 mls - 4.9 mls
    Let me find the "cheat sheet" to help you.
    Remember if you increase the amount to do so slowly.
    We don't want their tummies to get hard.
    They should feel like a water balloon after feeding.

    Here you go:



  21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    Ballenabeluga (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  22. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    Thanked: 2168

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    I have little eyes closed babies who weigh around 65 g and who are getting 4 ml per feeding. That's half way between their 5-7% body weight. He can be feed 3.5-5 ml per feeding, every four hours with a break at night of around 7 hours. Are you mixing the formula 1 part powder to two parts water? (and just to be sure, no insult intended, you are feeding four full 1 ml syringes and not 0.4 of one syringe, right? )

    I meant probiotics aside from what's in formula. Human capsules of probiotics, a little amount (the head of a nail) sprinkled out, a couple drops of water added, suck back into the syringe and give a dose. This will help soothe the irritation antibiotics can cause in the intestinal tract.

  23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

  24. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I have little eyes closed babies who weigh around 65 g and who are getting 4 ml per feeding. That's half way between their 5-7% body weight. He can be feed 3.5-5 ml per feeding, every four hours with a break at night of around 7 hours. Are you mixing the formula 1 part powder to two parts water? (and just to be sure, no insult intended, you are feeding four full 1 ml syringes and not 0.4 of one syringe, right? )

    I meant probiotics aside from what's in formula. Human capsules of probiotics, a little amount (the head of a nail) sprinkled out, a couple drops of water added, suck back into the syringe and give a dose. This will help soothe the irritation antibiotics can cause in the intestinal tract.
    Yes, we are doing that. 4ml no 0.4ml pretty sure of that! 1 part powder, 1 part water. When I got him he was very skinny. I honestly dont know how he survived. Who got him before me was feeding him almond milk and then baby formula (humans) and it was like 4 days. Then I got him and I hydratated him and I had a hard time figuring out what to do. And he was in diarrea for lile a week and a half. That is why he is skinny (At least I think so). But not because we are not following the rules. He have just been trough a lot. He is a really strong little guy. And yes. I make sure he looks like a water balloon and not bloated!

  25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  26. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I have little eyes closed babies who weigh around 65 g and who are getting 4 ml per feeding. That's half way between their 5-7% body weight. He can be feed 3.5-5 ml per feeding, every four hours with a break at night of around 7 hours. Are you mixing the formula 1 part powder to two parts water? (and just to be sure, no insult intended, you are feeding four full 1 ml syringes and not 0.4 of one syringe, right? )

    I meant probiotics aside from what's in formula. Human capsules of probiotics, a little amount (the head of a nail) sprinkled out, a couple drops of water added, suck back into the syringe and give a dose. This will help soothe the irritation antibiotics can cause in the intestinal tract.
    The only thing i do not have are prebiotics, is there any specific one I should get? Could I get it tomorrow?

  27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  28. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    Thanked: 2168

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Yes, it sounds like he is a little fighter. Sometimes the hardest part of rehabbing is correcting the damage the person before you did. Ok, you should be mixing one part powder with TWO parts water. May be he is missing hydration. http://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/day-one-2050

    Give that a try and the thinner formula will flow through the nipple without giving you any trouble.

  29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

    Ballenabeluga (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  30. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Yes, it sounds like he is a little fighter. Sometimes the hardest part of rehabbing is correcting the damage the person before you did. Ok, you should be mixing one part powder with TWO parts water. May be he is missing hydration. http://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/day-one-2050

    Give that a try and the thinner formula will flow through the nipple without giving you any trouble.
    Oh god, i am sorry i totally messed up. Yes, that is what I have been doing if I do 2 measurements of powde then I put 4 of the same of water. I am sorry I am a mess rigth now.
    Also I am sorry for all my typos. When I get nervous I just mess up everything!

  31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  32. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    40,104
    Thanked: 13699

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballenabeluga View Post
    Oh god, i am sorry i totally messed up. Yes, that is what I have been doing if I do 2 measurements of powde then I put 4 of the same of water. I am sorry I am a mess rigth now.
    Also I am sorry for all my typos. When I get nervous I just mess up everything!
    Oh honey, you are going just fine.
    We are here for you and to help you.
    Not to worry, we are a post or a pm away.
    As long as we aren't feeding.

  33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  34. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    40,104
    Thanked: 13699

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballenabeluga View Post
    The only thing i do not have are prebiotics, is there any specific one I should get? Could I get it tomorrow?
    Yes you can get these tomorrow.
    I get the ones from CVS.
    They are capsules. Pull them apart and give
    about the size of a capital O.
    I think cava explained how to give these.




    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post

    I meant probiotics aside from what's in formula. Human capsules of probiotics, a little amount (the head of a nail) sprinkled out, a couple drops of water added, suck back into the syringe and give a dose. This will help soothe the irritation antibiotics can cause in the intestinal tract.

  35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    cava (10-19-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  36. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,794
    Thanked: 2168

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ballenabeluga View Post
    Oh god, i am sorry i totally messed up. Yes, that is what I have been doing if I do 2 measurements of powde then I put 4 of the same of water. I am sorry I am a mess rigth now.
    Also I am sorry for all my typos. When I get nervous I just mess up everything!

    Breathe. We're here to help. You got this! You're here asking for help, following instructions and it's obvious you love this baby. We'll get you squared away. In the meantime, while the antibiotics are going to work, you snuggle and kiss him. Your energy will help him heal. (Plus, it doesn't get any easier than loving a squirrel, does it?)

  37. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

  38. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: Sneezing Squirrel.i dont know is this is life threatening bit I need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Yes you can get these tomorrow.
    I get the ones from CVS.
    They are capsules. Pull them apart and give
    about the size of a capital O.
    I think cava explained how to give these.


    Thank you. So. I will have to feed him in half an hour. Should I give him the medicine now? Even thougth I am going to feed him in half an hour. I do not have the probiotics. So I could give them to him tomorrow. But, is it ok if do not give him them today. Also, would I need ti give him some extra water to be sure he is hydratated. Just summarizing and being sure i get it rigth

  39. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ballenabeluga from:

    LynnRobbins (10-13-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •