Thread: Clyde has run away

Default Clyde has run away

Well, as my luck would have it... Clyde has escaped and is running frantically through the trees. He is now about 12-14 weeks old. It is October and not quite yet cold. The leaves haven't fallen but I'm panicking. Wondering if he's going to want to come home now? I've been outside for 2 hours, shaking blocks in a bowl, showing him his feeding syringe, and calling for him. To no avail. What do I need to do and if he doesn't return, it's he going to make it out there? I can not leave his cage open bc I still have Bonnie. And can't chance her doing the same.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Blueyezatl from:

LR (10-13-2017)

Default Re: Clyde has run away

Can you bring Bonnie back inside temporarilyand then leave your release cage open? Clyde may come back at night (especially if you leave food inside) and then then can close the cage on him and transfer Bonnie back outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueyezatl View Post
    Well, as my luck would have it... Clyde has escaped and is running frantically through the trees. He is now about 12-14 weeks old. It is October and not quite yet cold. The leaves haven't fallen but I'm panicking. Wondering if he's going to want to come home now? I've been outside for 2 hours, shaking blocks in a bowl, showing him his feeding syringe, and calling for him. To no avail. What do I need to do and if he doesn't return, it's he going to make it out there? I can not leave his cage open bc I still have Bonnie. And can't chance her doing the same.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Blueyezatl (10-13-2017), Coralreefer (10-13-2017), Diggie's Friend (10-13-2017), gunpackingrandma (10-13-2017), Lighten-Up (10-13-2017), LR (10-13-2017), Mel1959 (10-13-2017), Nancy in New York (10-13-2017)

Yes, I can do that. Bonnie is inside now with cage door open, hoping he'll return since he didn't have breakfast. Maybe he'll come back. He did this yesterday and I was able to get him to come down to me. But this morning, he wasn't having it. He stayed in the same tree for a little while and then he was like Superman, leaping tall buildings. I have left food and water out for him inside cage. Should I leave some out by the trees? I'm kinda scared for him. Will be get lost or are they pretty good at finding their way home?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Blueyezatl from:

LR (10-13-2017)

He can almost certainly find his way home. If this is happening multiple times, you will have to change your plans for feeding them (how you open the door to give food etc). My guess is that he will be back there at nightfall. Dies this cage have a portal? Maybe try tossing food through the portal? It will be messy but prevent escapes.

Yes, I can do that. Bonnie is inside now with cage door open, hoping he'll return since he didn't have breakfast. Maybe he'll come back. He did this yesterday and I was able to get him to come down to me. But this morning, he wasn't having it. He stayed in the same tree for a little while and then he was like Superman, leaping tall buildings. I have left food and water out for him inside cage. Should I leave some out by the trees? I'm kinda scared for him. Will be get lost or are they pretty good at finding their way home?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Blueyezatl (10-13-2017), LR (10-13-2017)

Not sure what you mean by a portal so I'm assuming no, it doesn't. Plz tell me how to go about adding this to the cage. I'm still chasing this guy through the trees. I can see him here and there but looks like he has no interest in coming home right now. He's like a kid that doesn't want to come home until the street light comes on

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Blueyezatl from:

LR (10-13-2017)

A portal is a little 3” x 3” door at the top of the release cage. It’s used to open for the initial release and to allow the squirrels to return to the release cage after being released. By leaving this little door open during the day a released squirrel can return to the safety of the release cage but because of the small size, it prevents predators (like cats, dogs, raccoons) from following the squirrel into the release cage and virtually trapping them. At night if your released squirrel has returned to the release cage to sleep then the portal is closed and reopened again first thing in the morning for the squirrel to leave again.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (10-13-2017)

Caught that little fugitive! After five hours. Jeez... He finally came close enough to me to where I could stick to end of the syringe up to him and he tried to snatch it from me but hung on for dear life and fished him in. Thank goodness he was hungry out I might never have caught him. I'm going to have to install the portal but not sure what to do about feeding him formula, which is what I was talking him out for this morning. I'm thinking I'll have to take a shirt or something out to use as a net or shield until I can figure something out... Thank you to all that replied. I'm just hoping I'm not having to do this everyday.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Blueyezatl:

lennysmom (10-13-2017), LR (10-13-2017)

I do have a small door at the to of the cage but it's obviously to large... It's more like 5 in by 5 inch and opens like a door. I'm thinking I may need to try to make this door open from the top and swing inward? Maybe. I don't know. These guys are fast and having two makes it an even tricker task

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Blueyezatl from:

LR (10-13-2017)

I have a question that almost relates... Had anyone ever had a squirrel they released and the squirrels go about their business in the trees and still come home to eat and sleep daily? Or do they find others and eventually go on their way? Just curious...

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Blueyezatl from:

LR (10-13-2017)

I don't have any that come daily but I do have 2 that come to see me occasionally and still climb on my shoulder. They walk right in the house, get on the kitchen countertop and go to the nut bag. They help themselves. One is 4 years old, the other a year old.

Most eventually move on but a few do hang around the yard. The 2 that come to see me don't live in my yard but they do enjoy home cooking.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Blueyezatl (10-13-2017)

If he doesn't come back to the release cage, consider putting up a nextbox with an opening near the top,

and a drop down nest chamber to prevent raccoons reaching the squirrel.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Blueyezatl (10-13-2017)

I do have a small door at the to of the cage but it's obviously to large... It's more like 5 in by 5 inch and opens like a door. I'm thinking I may need to try to make this door open from the top and swing inward? Maybe. I don't know. These guys are fast and having two makes it an even tricker task
    My release cage has an area I can step into and latch the door behind me then open the door to their cage and step inside if I want to or just put food on their shelf. With this set up I never have to worry about them getting out. I only use the portal for release.

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Blueyezatl (10-14-2017), Coralreefer (10-13-2017), SammysMom (10-13-2017)