Thread: New milk is this ok ?

Hybrid View

Default New milk is this ok ?

The local pet store did not have the milk I had pre approved. I couldn't remember anything but the third ingredient should be whey protein. I am home & I see it doesn't list a probiotic , can I mix in some yogurt ? I have calcium & vitamins from Henry's. The new formula is 21st century. TIA

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rbean from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Default Re: New milk is this ok ?

Hi there and welcome to the board.

You would be risking baby's health using this product. Powdered Puppy Esbilac is what you need. I looked this product up to see what I could find out and here's the first review I saw:

• This stuff separates out into powder visible in the "milk" within seconds and I am pretty sure has nothing like the fat content advertised since ( unlike other products we have used) cooled milk shows NO cream layer when cooled.

• We had to THROW AWAY the can because our puppy didn't gain any weight on it.
    • Opinion? DO NOT BUY!!

You can make your own temporary goat's milk formula until you can either order the Powdered Puppy Esbilac with pre and probiotics online or find a store that has it. It's as follows:

Temporary Goat's milk formula
    3 part goat's milk (if you buy concentrate or powder, reconstitute as directed, into milk before using in the recipe)
    1 part FULL fat vanilla yogurt (no artificial sweeteners, no low-fat)
    1 part heavy whipping cream (not half and half)

Feed this with a 1 or 3 ml syringe with nipple and go slow so baby doesn't aspirate. Here are some more detailed directions for housing and feeding, look at all the pages: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Can you tell us more about your baby, how you got it, etc.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Just in case it makes a difference his eyes opened about 10 days ago .

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rbean from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Sorry I promise you it doesn't make a difference if your baby's eyes are opened or closed. Your baby will be malnourished if you decide to feed the wrong formula. If you can't find anything else please use the goats milk formula that Cava has suggested in a prior post.
    We have had at least six babies die in the last two weeks from using the wrong formula. They all died of starvation and malnutrition from being fed the wrong formula. This is a picture of one of the babies. Sorry to be so graphic but we really don't want you to feed the wrong formula.

Name:  IMG_1661.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  82.2 KB

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (10-11-2017), Grinderhead (10-11-2017), LR (10-12-2017), stepnstone (10-12-2017)

Also I have raised & released a few squirrels but after I got use to buying the same product .I knew what to look for (via this board) but tonight they didn't have it and it threw me for a loop. In the morning I will do the goat milk recipe till I can acquire the right formula

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

cava (10-11-2017), Grinderhead (10-11-2017), LR (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

Ok thanks for your help , will get goat milk mix in am & I will order online

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

LR (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

rbean, thank you for getting the goat's milk and ordering the other. It's worth it, I promise and I'm sure the ones who lost babies would agree. Let us know when you do and we'll answer any questions about feeding if you need it. That's what we're here for. Do you have a scale so you can figure out how much to feed? You can buy kitchen scales for around $10 at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond for example. It's 5-7% of body weight in grams. For instance if baby is 50 grams: 50 x .05 = 2.5 mL to 50 x .07 = 3.5 mL. Hope this helps. Can't wait to see some photos off your little muffin!

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

rbean, there are only two formula bases that the squirrels can use. The powdered puppy Esbilac and the Fox Valley 20/50. None of the others provide the nutrition required by their bodies and most of them are not digested by their bodies correctly. Therefore you have a live,healthy squirrel or a dead squirrel. The rehabbers do not have time to go over line by line with you about what is in or not in a particular formula. They know what works. If you want that type of information do a line by line of ingredients and research them. Just don't use your squirrels as "guinea pigs" to test which ones work. That's all anyone is trying to tell you.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

rbean, there are only two formula bases that the squirrels can use. The powdered puppy Esbilac and the Fox Valley 20/50. Nmooone
    Last edited by LR; 10-12-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Duplicate

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

UDoWhat (10-12-2017)