Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New milk is this ok ?

Default New milk is this ok ?

The local pet store did not have the milk I had pre approved. I couldn't remember anything but the third ingredient should be whey protein. I am home & I see it doesn't list a probiotic , can I mix in some yogurt ? I have calcium & vitamins from Henry's. The new formula is 21st century. TIA

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rbean from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Default Re: New milk is this ok ?

Hi there and welcome to the board.

You would be risking baby's health using this product. Powdered Puppy Esbilac is what you need. I looked this product up to see what I could find out and here's the first review I saw:

• This stuff separates out into powder visible in the "milk" within seconds and I am pretty sure has nothing like the fat content advertised since ( unlike other products we have used) cooled milk shows NO cream layer when cooled.

• We had to THROW AWAY the can because our puppy didn't gain any weight on it.
    • Opinion? DO NOT BUY!!

You can make your own temporary goat's milk formula until you can either order the Powdered Puppy Esbilac with pre and probiotics online or find a store that has it. It's as follows:

Temporary Goat's milk formula
    3 part goat's milk (if you buy concentrate or powder, reconstitute as directed, into milk before using in the recipe)
    1 part FULL fat vanilla yogurt (no artificial sweeteners, no low-fat)
    1 part heavy whipping cream (not half and half)

Feed this with a 1 or 3 ml syringe with nipple and go slow so baby doesn't aspirate. Here are some more detailed directions for housing and feeding, look at all the pages: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Can you tell us more about your baby, how you got it, etc.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Just in case it makes a difference his eyes opened about 10 days ago .

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rbean from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Sorry I promise you it doesn't make a difference if your baby's eyes are opened or closed. Your baby will be malnourished if you decide to feed the wrong formula. If you can't find anything else please use the goats milk formula that Cava has suggested in a prior post.
    We have had at least six babies die in the last two weeks from using the wrong formula. They all died of starvation and malnutrition from being fed the wrong formula. This is a picture of one of the babies. Sorry to be so graphic but we really don't want you to feed the wrong formula.

Name:  IMG_1661.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  82.2 KB

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (10-11-2017), Grinderhead (10-11-2017), LR (10-12-2017), stepnstone (10-12-2017)

Also I have raised & released a few squirrels but after I got use to buying the same product .I knew what to look for (via this board) but tonight they didn't have it and it threw me for a loop. In the morning I will do the goat milk recipe till I can acquire the right formula

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

cava (10-11-2017), Grinderhead (10-11-2017), LR (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

Ok thanks for your help , will get goat milk mix in am & I will order online

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

LR (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

rbean, thank you for getting the goat's milk and ordering the other. It's worth it, I promise and I'm sure the ones who lost babies would agree. Let us know when you do and we'll answer any questions about feeding if you need it. That's what we're here for. Do you have a scale so you can figure out how much to feed? You can buy kitchen scales for around $10 at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond for example. It's 5-7% of body weight in grams. For instance if baby is 50 grams: 50 x .05 = 2.5 mL to 50 x .07 = 3.5 mL. Hope this helps. Can't wait to see some photos off your little muffin!

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

I actually tried to send picks of the ingredients in Can & couldnt getbthe pictures attached. I am on my phone so maybe I'll try in my computer.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

I saw the goat milk recipe , does this need to be warmed ? I assume so ?

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

Quote Originally Posted by rbean View Post
    I saw the goat milk recipe , does this need to be warmed ? I assume so ?

Yes. Anything that you feed at this age, even hydration fluid, needs to be warmed.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

I actually tried to send picks of the ingredients in Can & couldnt getbthe pictures attached. I am on my phone so maybe I'll try in my computer.
    Many puppy formula contain similar ingredients, it is what they are lacking that
    makes the major difference with the needed nutrition for feeding squirrels.

2st Century ingredients:

Name:  CEN-27638-2_edited.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  64.7 KB
    Esbilac ingredients:
    Name:  812eob6DlHL__SL1500_.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  74.9 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

Petsmart and Petco carry the right powder. Tractor Supply might also.

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BCChins:

cava (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

I bought at pet smart they did not have the esbslic with probiotic it was the old can. I usually go to pet I because it's closer that's were I have been buying

[QUOTE=stepnstone;1240342]Many puppy formula contain similar ingredients, it is what they are lacking that

2st Century ingredients:

Esbilac ingredients:
Size:  74.9 KB[/QUOTE

Yes this is the ingredient list is it missing the probiotic ? What else is it missing ?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  104.3 KB. He is not very active but maybe it's his personality. I have checked for any signs of malnutrition & he seems good but he sleeps a lot but maybe that's normal at this stage. I remember them being more active.

Did you get a scale and the correct formula? Has he had any yet? What and when did he eat last? What feeding schedule are you using?

If you pinch the skin between his shoulder blades it should bounce back. If his sticks or stays, he's dehydrated and needs hydration between his feedings, not in place of.

Get started before he gets into real trouble.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Yes this is the ingredient list is it missing the probiotic ? What else is it missing ?
    Why would it matter what else it is missing? It's incorrect formula!
    The only correction to be made is to be supplying the correct one.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (10-12-2017), LR (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Yes. Anything that you feed at this age, even hydration fluid, needs to be warmed.
    I did not know this about water . I have been giving room temperature ( not cold)

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rbean:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-12-2017)

[QUOTE=rbean;1240388]
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Many puppy formula contain similar ingredients, it is what they are lacking that

2st Century ingredients:

Esbilac ingredients:
Size:  74.9 KB[/QUOTE

Do you mean that the Esbilac you have has the exact same ingredients as listed in the Esbilac ingredients that were posted? The new cans of Esbilac powder do not have the banner across them that say pre-and probiotics. Is the third ingredient the same as the can of formula you have? If the third ingredients are the same on your can of powdered Esbilac and the ingredient listed in the picture of the label then just because your can doesn't have the banner doesn't mean it's wrong. If you can post your ingredient list we can take a look at it and see if it's right.

Baby squirrels do sleep a lot but as they start to reach about six weeks old you will see more activity. Your baby seems to be about 5 1/2 weeks old so soon we should be more active. Do you have any kind of snuggle stuffy animal in with him? It would be nice for him to have I little stuffed bear or some kind of little stuffed animal for him to snuggle up with.

Cava had a lot of good questions a few posts back. It would really help us to help your baby if you would answer these questions. You need a scale and you need the correct formula. Both items are not optional when raising a baby squirrel. You can't tell how much to feed him or if you're feeding him enough or too much if you don't have a scale to weigh him . And of course the correct formula as I showed you in the picture of the malnourished baby I posted is essential!!

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Why would it matter what else it is missing? It's incorrect formula!
    The only correction to be made is to be supplying the correct one.
    Listen I have been in this board a few times in the last years and gotten really good help from people in here but there are also some of the ruddiest people here. I understand your a certified rescuer and you think everyone else is stupid , I can deal with that . But surly if you love squirrels you must realize YOU can't save them all it's going to take a lot of stupid people like me who care enough to help. I have three vets offices that call me because all there employees are to wore out to take care of squirrels in the middle of the night & go to work the next day. Why does it matter if I want to know? Do you know what ingredients are missing ?Wouldnt it have been easier to have shared your great knowledge with me? I guess not. I am not going to use the wrong stuff that's why I checked on here last night. I am going to give to my my local vet so someone with a puppy can have it.Just thought it would hurt to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast