Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bald baby!

Default Re: Bald baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamatree View Post
    I actually did mention that Iím using the powdered esbilac but i know that this thread is getting a bit lengthy! Iím going to get a scale and blocks for him yhis weekend, just talked to my boyfriend about that! Iím not sure his hair will ever come in and if it doesnít i love him the way he is❤️ What matters is that heís healthy and happy, so Iím gonna do everything I can to make sure of that! Iím so greatful to all of you for your advice and support!! Thank you for being awesome ❤️❤️❤️
    OK glad to hear he's on powdered Esbilac. ❤️ But don't count him out on getting hair. I have had babies that looked just like him and once they started eating rodent block their hair began to grow in. We need to make sure he is getting enough food so he is not under nourished or malnourished. Hair loss can come from not being fed enough. So once you get the scale we will be able to fix that. Remember don't just start giving him more food. We don't know if he needs more food. Overfeeding is the number 1 causes of diarrhea and we do not want him to get diarrhea. Can't wait until you get the scale. Thanks for caring for him.
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (10-11-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Mamatree (10-12-2017)

About Flash, I was told by the rehabber who raised him that his Vet diagnosed him with hemochromatosis, a condition where the body is unable to metabolize iron, which then over time builds up in the liver, heart, and pancreas, etc. to where it eventually becomes toxic, upon which death soon after follows. For unlike in humans with this same condition, that phlebotomy is used to lower iron levels in their blood periodically, so that not as much builds up in the liver, and other organs, this treatment cannot be used for small mammals.

Since then I came across a possible support to a low iron no block diet that might lengthenthe life of such animals with his hereditary condition, that was found in research to move iron out of the liver, heart, and other organs into the bloodstream where it is eliminated through the kidneys.

It still remains to be determined whether this squirrel has this same condition, for Cadmium, Arsenic, Lead and other heavy metals can also cause hair loss, as can a zinc deficiency that is often accompanied by a fungal condtion due to lowered immunity from this deficiency. If a blood test were able to be done safely in the near future, it might shed some light on whether this squirrel has the same condition that Flash had, or not.

In remembering Flash, he was like youngest sister Beth, in the novel, "Little Women"; who like the cricket on the hearth stayed at home, where he was dearly loved, and in his passing still is.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

lennysmom (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017)

I'm not sure if you mentioned this, but what kind of container to you have Jerry in?
    Also he will definitely need a heating pad under half of his container set on LOW.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017)

Here is a picture of Smoothie from England 2011 (as I said hairless squirrels are rare).

And the first picture, I took, of Pinky the Hairless Squirrel. I think Jerry may have a chance of living a furry life. I think you should get his blood drawn, as a specimen.

But it is not lost on me, the similarities between Jeremiah and Smoothie. Wow!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scott:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Mamatree (10-12-2017)

Jeremiah October 2017
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scott from:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Scott, oh my gosh! They definitely look very similar, especially now that Jeremiah has grown a bit more! Nancy, heís in half of a critter nation double cage now up until four days ago he was in a modified tupper ware storage bin.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mamatree:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017)

Scott, oh my gosh! They definitely look very similar, especially now that Jeremiah has grown a bit more! Nancy, heís in half of a critter nation double cage now up until four days ago he was in a modified tupper ware storage bin.
    Does he have access to a heating pad?
    Do we have a weight on him yet?
    Thank you for answering so quickly.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), lennysmom (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Does he have access to a heating pad?
    Do we have a weight on him yet?
    Thank you for answering so quickly.
    Iíll put the heating pad under one corner of his cage right now, i had it under half when he was in the tupperware but hadnít been using it in the larger cage, he spends most of his time burried in his blankie so he hasnít seemed chilled but Iíll put it there now incase he needs it! I wonít be able to get the scale until Saturday or Sunday, the nearest stores are a bit of a drive from me and things have been hectic this week😳😳 Nancy would you know of a way I could safely get his blood tested? Iím not a licensed rehabber and I donít want to risk losing him, you clearly have far more experience with the way things work than I do so I wondered if you could point me in the right direction?

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mamatree:

cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017)

And Iíve become a bit obsessed with checking this thread to see if anyone has said anything new😂 Iím just so excited to talk to other crazy squirrel people that I canít wait to respond 😍

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mamatree:

cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017)

Iíll put the heating pad under one corner of his cage right now, i had it under half when he was in the tupperware but hadnít been using it in the larger cage, he spends most of his time burried in his blankie so he hasnít seemed chilled but Iíll put it there now incase he needs it! I wonít be able to get the scale until Saturday or Sunday, the nearest stores are a bit of a drive from me and things have been hectic this week😳😳 Nancy would you know of a way I could safely get his blood tested? Iím not a licensed rehabber and I donít want to risk losing him, you clearly have far more experience with the way things work than I do so I wondered if you could point me in the right direction?
    Just make sure that he can't chew on the cord.
    Was there a reason you put him in the larger cage?
    It sounds like a great cage, but he's still so small.

I know it was suggested that you may want to get his
    blood tested, but to be honest, I'm not even sure what
    you'd be looking for. Most likely the vet would have to give him
    anesthesia, and frankly I always worry about that.
    IF you want to down the line when he's older, we
    could definitely try to find a vet for you.
    If worse comes to worse, since I think you are quite a distance
    from me, you could use my vet in Saratoga New York. You could
    always stay a night here, and then we could go together if you'd like.

20. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), lennysmom (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Mamatree (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017), UDoWhat (10-12-2017)

The bottom we have on the cage is plastic so i can put the heat pag under that and he wonít be able to get near it, but itíll still put out enough heat to warm up a corner of his blankie nice and toasty! And i switched to the bigger cage because heís SO active and he just seemed to really dislike the restriction of the small space in the tupper ware, and he LOVES the big cage, heís constantly running all over, and heís VERY proud of his newly learned ability to go UPSIDE DOWN 😂 thatís just started the last two days.

And thank you so much for that offer!! As long as you donít think itís medically necessary at this point then Iím ok with waiting on it, but Iím really grateful to have someone to go to if it DOES look like he should be seen!!

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mamatree:

cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017), Scott (10-12-2017)

The bottom we have on the cage is plastic so i can put the heat pag under that and he wonít be able to get near it, but itíll still put out enough heat to warm up a corner of his blankie nice and toasty! And i switched to the bigger cage because heís SO active and he just seemed to really dislike the restriction of the small space in the tupper ware, and he LOVES the big cage, heís constantly running all over, and heís VERY proud of his newly learned ability to go UPSIDE DOWN 😂 thatís just started the last two days.

And thank you so much for that offer!! As long as you donít think itís medically necessary at this point then Iím ok with waiting on it, but Iím really grateful to have someone to go to if it DOES look like he should be seen!!

Oh I bet he loves the additional room.
    I also would LOVE to see a video of this little munchkin in action.

Yeah, I think at this point that can be held off for now.
    I just reread Diggies thread where it was suggested as a possibility.
    I'm not sure a vet would even know how to treat it if it were hemochromatosis.
    Here's an interesting article.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...t/drc-20351448

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Jerry doesn't need fur to be precious. Does his CN have shelves? I ask because in the winter my Scooter's cage is in an addition that has its own thermostat. It's usually cooler out there. I put a heating pad under his shelf because when he takes a bath I don't want him getting chilled. His cube hangs right on the heating pad which is under a shelf cover. The cord goes through the door right at the corner where it can't be chewed and is wrapped in a fleece tube in case it's close to the bars. Scooter sometimes shares his "houz" with others. One of the others once grabbed the cord and chewed it up. I would LOVE to see that little man tearing around in his "houz"

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Chicken legs, no shelves yet, I have a scarf strung across from one corner to the other (which he has so far shown zero interest in) and a toy I made him out of a few pieces of untreated wood craft bits that I had on hand (which he LOVES) a little ďhouseĒ which is the plastic jar he was in when my neighbor gave him to me, filled with paper towels, and a couple paper towel rolls. So far thatís the inly accessories I have in there, but Iím already driving my boyfriend nuts with all the adorable goodies I want to buy him!! He sleeps wrapped up in his blankie on the floor of the cage right now so for the time being I think just putting the heating pad under the plastic floor will be a good option.

I actually managed to get some great video of him during play time tonight, playing peek-a-boo and wrestling with me! Iíll try to upload it! Just to warn you he has a lil scratch on his shoulder right now, his claws are pretty hazardous to his fragile skin without any fur to protect it! I may need to look into getting him some stuff that will help file them down a bit so he doesnít accidentally hurt himself.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mamatree from:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Ugh it will NOT upload from my phone, i think itís too big. Maybe I can just give you a link to it on my Facebook- one minute

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mamatree from:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

https://www.facebook.com/Masochancer...92695537682178

Let me know if that works, itís set to public so you should be able to see it

32. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mamatree:

cava (10-12-2017), lennysmom (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Oh and please ignore the mess BEHIND the cage 😳 heís in my bedroom and I managed to make space for the cage but I kinda just shoved stuff out of the way tobdonit and havenít gotten around to finding another place for the clutter yet

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mamatree from:

LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Okay, all I gotta say is you better make sure your door is locked from now on cause Iím pretty tempted to take a road trip to NY and steal the little guy! Heís precious! I canít even stand it.

ďYou have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.Ē ― John Bunyan .

Sammy's TSB Thread
    Marvin's TSB Thread

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017), Mamatree (10-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
    Okay, all I gotta say is you better make sure your door is locked from now on cause Iím pretty tempted to take a road trip to NY and steal the little guy! Heís precious! I canít even stand it.

😂😂😂😂 I have to agree with you, heís got me completely wrapped around his tiny lil finger

38. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mamatree:

cava (10-12-2017), Jen413 (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Well one thing is for sure - being mostly hairless hasn't slowed him down a bit! He is just adorably precious. I can certainly see why he has you wrapped around his little paw.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

40. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

LynnRobbins (10-13-2017), Mamatree (10-12-2017)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast