Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Possible UTI?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 50

    Post Possible UTI?

    We've had this baby squirrel for over a month now and have been through a lot with her. She's about 8 weeks old and is constantly peeing on herself and it has a strong odor. I was thinking she might have a UTI, but I read up on a lot and she hasn't lost any of her appetite and it's lethargic. She runs around like crazy in her cage. We've already had to treat her for pneumonia, so I have one pill of baytril left if she does have a UTI, but I don't know what other symptoms would point more towards having one. Also what type of bedding would be good to put in her cage. Thank you!

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rae022216 from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanked: 2145

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Hi there. I don't want you to think you are being ignored. I don't have experience with UTI's in babies so hang in there, keep checking back and someone who does should get back to you soon. Do you have any photos? What color is the urine?

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    164
    Thanked: 205

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    I can't hep you with the UTI question but keep bumping your thread till it catches the eyes of someone who can.

    Favorite squirrel bedding? Fleece,fleece and more fleece. Small stuffed fleece to play with and snooze with. Mine has a fleece style winter hat she likes to sleep in.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 50

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Her urine is a light yellow, that's why I wasn't sure if it would be a UTI or not.

    Our last baby we had LOVED to curl up in a sock

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rae022216 from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    424
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Keep your squirrel well hydrated, as that is the first step to deal with a possible UTI;

    as this dilutes the urine, which would also dilute the bacteria caused by a UTI if present.

  9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

    cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 50

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Keep your squirrel well hydrated, as that is the first step to deal with a possible UTI;

    as this dilutes the urine, which would also dilute the bacteria caused by a UTI if present.
    Will do! We have water in her cage with her that she drinks out of quite frequently

  11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rae022216:

    cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    2,628
    Thanked: 3008

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    I havenít had specific experience with a UTI, but have read that peeing on itself is one of the symptoms. Does she seem to try to frequently go, but nothing comes out? No blood in her urine? I have heard of folks offering some diluted cranberry juice or even given fresh cranberries. The dried cranberries (craisins) are also accepted well, but do contain a fair amount of sugar, so you should be mindful of that and not offer too many. I hope some other folks with more experience with this condition will chime in.

    I agree about the fleece. Iíve also heard of little ones that like hats to sleep in. Does she have a fleece cube? My guys all sleep in those. I know you can buy them at local pet stores. They make them for ferrets and other critters. Does she have a stuffie with no plastic on it to cuddle up with?

  13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

    cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  14. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 50

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I havenít had specific experience with a UTI, but have read that peeing on itself is one of the symptoms. Does she seem to try to frequently go, but nothing comes out? No blood in her urine? I have heard of folks offering some diluted cranberry juice or even given fresh cranberries. The dried cranberries (craisins) are also accepted well, but do contain a fair amount of sugar, so you should be mindful of that and not offer too many. I hope some other folks with more experience with this condition will chime in.

    I agree about the fleece. Iíve also heard of little ones that like hats to sleep in. Does she have a fleece cube? My guys all sleep in those. I know you can buy them at local pet stores. They make them for ferrets and other critters. Does she have a stuffie with no plastic on it to cuddle up with?

    The only times I see her pee is when it's time to feed her, but there is no blood. I might do the cranberry thing. She does pee on herself, but not as much as she did a week or two ago.
    I had a big fleece blanket I cute up into squares that is in with her and she loves curling up in it.

  15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rae022216 from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanked: 2145

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    I have very young ones that tinkle every time I get them out to feed. It's normal because they associate feeding with potty time. They also potty in their blankets in between feedings. I'm wondering if this is why she is doing it. Keep some cotton balls on your feeding station and stimulate her to completely empty her bladder before feeding. May be she still needs this. ?

  17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  18. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    424
    Thanked: 378

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    The problem with the sweetened cranberry sources like the cranberry raisins is that most often corn syrup has been added, which supports UTIs, that lowers the effectiveness of this cranberry source. Since you don't want to put them off drinking their water, initially addi just a few drops of pure organic cranberry juice to 1 cup of water, and pour some into to a water dish to see if your squirrel will accept it. If they drink it, then you can add a couple additional drops and see if they will continue to accept it. If so, then you can reproduce the same strength in their water bottle. Should they refuse to drink it, try adding just a couple of drops of cranberry juice to 1 Tsp. measure of organic yogurt, which should help to dampen the tartness. A single drop of pumpkin seed oil added will help to give it an appealing aroma and nutty flavor.

  19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  20. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 50

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I have very young ones that tinkle every time I get them out to feed. It's normal because they associate feeding with potty time. They also potty in their blankets in between feedings. I'm wondering if this is why she is doing it. Keep some cotton balls on your feeding station and stimulate her to completely empty her bladder before feeding. May be she still needs this. ?
    That's what I was thinking, but we were just worries because they would pee on herself a lot and I would have to wipe her off almost 24/7. But she isn't doing it as much anymore so I think it might be just a false alarm? But still keeping an eye on her

  21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rae022216:

    cava (10-12-2017), Diggie's Friend (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  22. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanked: 2145

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Sounds good. Good on you for keeping such a close eye on her in the first place.

  23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

    LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

  24. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 50

    Default Re: Possible UTI?

    Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Sounds good. Good on you for keeping such a close eye on her in the first place.
    Yeah! I've done a lot to make sure she's healthy. We had to scares with her and we had to recently treat her for mites aswell. But other than that she's healthy and playful

  25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rae022216:

    cava (10-12-2017), LynnRobbins (10-12-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •