Thread: Baby grey squirrel

rdm5269 Guest

Default Baby grey squirrel

oved. I did hear birds swarking and flying around. I was concerned that the squirrel wouldve been caught and died. I tried to let it go again later and the squirrel tried to hide under a sink. I called around to a few places near me that told me they would take the squirrel get it rehabilitated and release it back into the wild.

I ended up just keeping the squirrel. I bought a large 4 ft cage, a small animal bed, some nuts, & fruits.

The first day the squirrel didnt eat. I'm sure he was scared. We also have 2 cats that we didn't let around the cage. The second day he did start to eat the nuts (pecans, peanuts, etc). We did try to give him some "cow" milk as I now see it is called on here and isn't good to give him. He didnt drink much. I even tried a small feeding nipple to give him some.milk. He didn't drink much. The next day I bought a small water bottle for small animals.

I would take him out of his cage and let him run around in the bathroom while I was in their with him. By the 3rd day he would scrape and lick the grout in and around the tile in the bathroom. I went back to google and found that someone said something similar that a squirrel was licking the grout around their front porch. The responder suggested a salt lick. I went back to petsmart a fourth or fifth time. I purchaed the salt licj. I spoke to someone at petsmart about the squirrel and the tile. They agreed that I should get a salt lick. They also said that they had many squirrels in the past and what to look for.

I thought everything was going great. U brought the salt lick home and he went to town on it for a couple of days. He also drank a lot of water.

The last 2 days now he has been acting funny. He hides alot in His bed covered by a towel so he can have peace and be warm. I assumed that since the weather was fixing to get cooler that he might being going into hibernation. I have still been taking him out daily to jump and play around in the bathroom. He wasn't walking on his back legs anymore. He was more dragging his back legs as if he was having problems with them. When he tried standing on his back legs and clean himselft Sith hi s front feet, he couldn't because he couldn't stand on his back legs long enough. I tried helping him by holding him in my palm so that he could try to stand and clean himself. He still couldn't do it. I was getting concerned that there may be an issue with him.

Today when I took him out he wouldnt hope, jump, or run around as normal. He just wanted to stay in my hand or on my arm. He started nibbling and licking at my hands and fingers. I assume as if he wanted to nurse.

He has been sleeping more than anything else on top of aforementioned information on what he has been doing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rdm5269 from:

LR (10-07-2017)

rdm5269 Guest

Default Re: Baby grey squirrel

It appears that I lost some of my 1st paragraph above.
    Basically I found a squirrel, tried to let it go. He didnt go far. I was concerned something would've gotten to him and he wouldn't had made the night.

How old do you think this baby is? Have you fed him formula at all? If so what and how often? Please list all foods that you offer and he eats.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (10-06-2017), LR (10-07-2017), Nancy in New York (10-06-2017), UDoWhat (10-06-2017)

This baby is starving and needs to be fed proper formula. He will continue to deteriorate until he dies unless you act FAST. We can try to get you in contact with a rehabber near you to take him. He does not need the salt lick. Nor should he have nuts or fruit. These things will give him diarrhea and much worse, can cause a problem called Metabolic Bone Disease when the body steals calcium from the bones and you'll have a baby that can't walk or function.

You must immediately buy Powdered Puppy Esbilac and a scale so we can tell you how much to feed based on his weight in grams. Caring for a baby squirrel is very involved and required attention to detail and following a strict set of directions, or you will have a very sick baby on your hands. We've seen many good intended folks have babies die on them.

The first thing you can to, tonight, is begin a hydration protocol with a solution similar to pedialyte that you can make at home.

1 c. hot water
    1 tbsp (tablespoon) sugar
    1 tsp (teaspoon) salt

Give him 1 ml of this every hour with a 1 ml or 3 ml syringe (not a baby bottle or dropper, which can cause them to inhale it into their lungs and get aspiration pneumonia)

He should be in a large plastic bin with a heating pad set on low UNDER half of the bin. Make sure it's a heating pad that doesn't shut off after a few hours. He should have lots of fleece or non loopy material to snuggle into (so his nails don't get caught). Especially now that he is compromised, he will require extra nursing and monitoring.

Depending on his age (but go ahead until we get a photo and we can tell you how old he is) you will want to stimulate him to pee, especially since you will be offering fluid so often.

In the morning, please go get the food he needs to survive. Powdered puppy Esbilac (not canned, not goat milk esbilac, not KMR, not anything else). It will have a white puppy on the front and say "With Prebiotics and probiotics" on the top.

You will have to introduce formula very slowly so you don't shock his system, so please let us give you detailed instructions on feeding.

I know I've thrown a lot at you, but you've described a baby who hasn't been fed food his body can use and with rooting and searching behavior. It's good you didn't continue to give him cow's milk.

Here's a great resource as well: Look through all of the pages and photos: https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

4Puddles (10-07-2017), LR (10-07-2017), Nancy in New York (10-06-2017)

cava gave you excellent advice and information.
    Can you post a picture of your little one.
    I will look first think in the morning for somebody in your
    area to help you.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-06-2017), LR (10-07-2017)

Moved to proper forum to reflect the life threatening situation it is!
    That poor baby really needs help!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

LR (10-07-2017), Nancy in New York (10-06-2017)

rdm5269 Guest

I am going to try this differently this morning.
    I was surprised to wake up and see the replies and questions already.
    I have tried to post some pics and having issues.
    When I found the squirrel now a little over a month ago, his eyes where open and he was walking around on my back patio. At first I let him be, but he wouldn't go far. I was concerned had I just left him out, he would not have made it through the night.

If I had to guess based on other pics and information he is at least a month old if not older. I will continue to try to post pics on here.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rdm5269:

cava (10-07-2017), LR (10-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by rdm5269 View Post
    When I found the squirrel now a little over a month ago, his eyes where open and he was walking around on my back patio. At first I let him be, but he wouldn't go far. I was concerned had I just left him out, he would not have made it through the night.

If I had to guess based on other pics and information he is at least a month old if not older. I will continue to try to post pics on here.
    I just sent you a pm with my email address.
    I will post pictures if you want.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Quote Originally Posted by rdm5269 View Post

OK so if you found him a little more than a month ago, and his eyes were opened.
    he is at least 9 weeks old. Their eyes typically open at 5 weeks.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Just got photos of this little stinker!
    I will comment later, I have some emergencies to handle off board.
    Others will be on soon I'm sure.

Name:  thumbnail_20170921_082323_HDR.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  48.3 KBName:  thumbnail_20170921_090015_HDR.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  70.2 KBName:  thumbnail_20171002_185515_HDR.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  50.4 KBName:  thumbnail_20171004_105002_HDR.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  70.2 KB

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

rdm5269 Guest

Nancy
    Thank you for your assistance. I can not view the pics that you posted even on the board. Maybe it is a setting that I have on here. I am still trying to figure this out.
    Thanks again

Try tapping "what's new" and refresh your thread...

rdm5269 Guest

I have tried refreshing. When I refresh it shows any new posts. I just can not see the pictures. I can not see the pictures that Nancy just posted for me. I assume that everyone else can see the pictures on the same page.

rdm5269 Guest

I am trying to figure out posting the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You got it. Such a cutie!

I didn't mean to sound harsh last night, but we've had a lot of really sick babies recently and I figured it was best to just get into it rather than ask you one question at a time.

You don't need to stimulate him to urinate, he is old enough to go on his own based on your photos and timeline. I do think he should be offered a rodent block (solid food) and you should still offer formula. The formula will keep him appropriately hydrated and offers total nutrition to get him big and strong. Once he is eating the rodent blocks for a couple of weeks, you can begin to offer fresh produce. We'll get you that info when you're ready.

Here are some blocks you can buy to get him started on a healthy diet (and you already have the info for formula): Harlan on Amazon, Henry's High Protein blocks at Henryspets.com.. The other and Kaytee Rodent blocks at the pet store. Esbilac Powdered Puppy formula at the petstore and Walmart (usually).

Name:  AdultMain__01001.1423351887.1280.1280_edited.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  41.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

4Puddles (10-07-2017), Nancy in New York (10-07-2017)

rdm5269 Guest

Cava
    Thank you for the reply. I did not take any comments in a wrong way. If anything it was my fault for initially trying to post from my cell phone. I somehow lost most of my first paragraph. I will go out and look for what you suggested as well as some pedialyte. I still can not see any pictures through this forum. I do have the names of the products and will check at walmart.

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to rdm5269:

cava (10-07-2017), Jen413 (10-07-2017), Nancy in New York (10-07-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.