Thread: Help Needed for 9 week old Squirrel Degloved Tail

aniratak Guest

Unhappy Help Needed for 9 week old Squirrel Degloved Tail

Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker. My boyfriend rescued three 4-week squirrels during hurricane Harvey. All seemed heathy, and I've been feeding them Fox Valley 20/50, fresh veggies, and Mazuri rodent block. They've flourished and are doing well, hopefully releasable in a few months. Until recently. As my ham-handed boyfriend was trying to put our escaped female squirrel into the cage, she slipped out of his hands as he tried to grab her, and she is now missing about 2-2.5 in of tail. He feels awful, as she was his baby.

She seems to be acting more or less normal. She's more skittish, but is eating and sleeping with her brothers, though maybe acting a little sad. The 2 in or so missing looked bad, and not too much bleeding, but I'm afraid she's in pain. I've read to put Neosporin or anti bacterial ointment on it, but should I bandage it in any way? Is there anything I can do for pain? Follow up care? Any help would be appreciated, and I'll try to get some pics up when they wake up.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to aniratak from:

LR (10-05-2017)

Default Re: Help Needed for 9 week old Squirrel Degloved Tail

You can give her infant ibuprofen for pain, but we need a weight on
    her for dosing, OR a picture of her so we can guesstimate her weigh in grams.

The end of the tail will eventually dry up and fall off.
    Is there any raw skin at the end?
    Yes you can put Neosporin on it.

A picture would help a lot.
    This sometimes happens, and the squirrels are fine.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (10-05-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.