Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperate, please help. Neuro squirrel

Default Re: Desperate, please help. Neuro squirrel

In the two cases I have seen the Blue Eyes like that, the blue disappeared within 15 minutes of Sub-Qing them. There is no way this one would have survived for 4-5 months with that level of dehydration, so I am stumped. Normally, when they are blind, the entire cornea will turn blue, not just the iris. That is what is really weird about this. I will definitely be following on her story!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    Duckman, it is difficult to recall exactly when they started turning blue, I suppose it has been gradual over maybe 4-5 months. She has always been blind (pupils are solid white) so I thought maybe the change in color had something to do with the blindness. In this case I doubt dehydration is the cause.
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Duckman:

4Puddles (11-05-2017), cava (11-05-2017), LR (11-04-2017)

Just saw this post, and wanted to share the hope(?) depending on how old your little one is, that maybe her vision could return... My Snickers presented to us much the same; very young , blind, and some other neuro signs ( head tilt and circling). She also was recommended to be euthanized...so glad you stepped in before it was too late! She ( Snickers) also had that "dot" thing on her eye. She also had a "blue/hazy"appearance to her eyes. In small animals, this can be due to corneal edema, (swelling), or if it's on the inside of the eye, inflammation in a space ( anterior chamber) of the eyeball. For her, I just treated it with a basic Neopolybac plus Dexamethasone, in the hopes if it was just a superficial problem it could help. Over time, the dot and blue /hazy resolved... but unexpectedly, so did her sight (?!) . If I can remember , it was after several weeks of care, maybe a couple months? But she was as blind as blind can be, and then... she started LOOKING at me, following me, was a complete but happy moment the first time I was aware she had her vision No more bumping into walls, cage sides, my foot...
    I am so glad you found something to help for her seizures . Snickers never suffered from these until just this past summer. I was not aware they were actual seizure episodes ( vague, dazed spells at first) until the first real violent one back in May/June? I will say ( or repeat if not already mentioned) the kind folks here recommend almonds; and in one case I was told, these have kept a squirrel seizure free without meds, if I remember correctly. So maybe supplement this nut as much as you can. Snickers gets sick of them as her only treat, so I sneak them in her in recipes for boo balls and such. We finally had to resort to an antiepilectic but I could only get a recommendation for Keppra, per a CVM here in our state. We are at the highest dosage allowed. And she still has some breakthrough episodes ( maybe once a month); but overall better than without.
    I'll be curious to see how your baby improves, on her medicine and with good care and diet ... just wanted to share the possibility that maybe there's not permanent eye damage. Perhaps like ours, with time, maybe if swelling somewhere resolves, she may get some vision back.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

4Puddles (11-05-2017), HRT4SQRLS (11-05-2017), LR (11-18-2017), Mel1959 (11-05-2017), Nancy in New York (11-05-2017)

My dear sweet Puddles crossed the rainbow bridge overnight. She looks so peaceful, I can only hope that means she went painlessly in her sleep. Thank you so very much to everyone for your words of encouragement and advice. When I am ready, I would be interested in giving another non releasable a good forever home if they are in need. Currently I am just heartbroken. Name:  B8C19A6D-8A76-464E-8B5B-2BA114CB2142.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  135.4 KB

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

cava (11-18-2017), Diggie's Friend (11-18-2017), LR (11-18-2017), Nancy in New York (11-18-2017), TubeDriver (11-18-2017)

Sad to read she has passed. It is bittersweet when they depart, as we are left with the blessing of having shared part of their journey, and the loss of their life; a loss that is shared by your fellow board members who understand how hard it is when this happens. Glad to read that even now you have the foresight towards taking on the care of another life in need in the future. May God bless your efforts as you continue to do the best you can to help these special creatures that are sent to you.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

4Puddles (11-18-2017), LR (11-18-2017)

SO sorry to read this!! Because if you she LIVED. Even if it wasn’t as long as you would have hoped for. Praying for comfort during this time.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

4Puddles (11-18-2017)

Prayers for you and Puddles this evening.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

4Puddles (11-18-2017)

I'm so sorry. We're here.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

4Puddles (11-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    My dear sweet Puddles crossed the rainbow bridge overnight. She looks so peaceful, I can only hope that means she went painlessly in her sleep. Thank you so very much to everyone for your words of encouragement and advice. When I am ready, I would be interested in giving another non releasable a good forever home if they are in need. Currently I am just heartbroken. Name:  B8C19A6D-8A76-464E-8B5B-2BA114CB2142.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  135.4 KB
    This photo tugs at my heart.
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet angel, Puddles.
    She does look so peaceful, and there is no doubt this was painless
    and with no struggles.
    I'm heartbroken for you.
    Rest in Peace
    Precious Puddles Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 62
Size:  701 Bytes

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

4Puddles (11-18-2017)

My heart breaks for you. I am so sorry.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from: