Thread: Raising 3 squirrels after Hurricane Irma. Need Help/Advice ASAP

Default Raising 3 squirrels after Hurricane Irma. Need Help/Advice ASAP

I am a first timer to raising squirrels but during the hurricane 3 fell out of their nests. All has been going well for the last 3 weeks or so, however today while opening the cage door while they were outside, Charlie (the juvenile I believe) tried escaping and running out to the wild. I immediately grabbed him, he bit me very hard I am in shock. He also bit me last night while putting him in his cage for bedtime, but not as nearly as hard as just now. I'm bleeding bad.

Does this mean he is ready to be released? He is still bottle feeding????

I can't believe he did this. I have no idea how old he is.

Should I stop handling him? Should I stop feeding him his bottle? Can someone tell me his appx age by a picture and also how to handle this situation. Should I even feed him anymore milk? He wants usually 15mls 2x a day.....Last night he started that chattering too after he bit me when putting him in his cage. Nancy or anyone, please provide guidance on how to handle this boy. I have him kept with 2 little ones from a different litter that are like half his age half his weight. I wanted to wait and release all together as I'm told their chances of survival are greater if there released in pairs or with others, than by themselves.......
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Raising 3 squirrels after Hurricane Irma. Need Help/Advice ASAP

Hi marci1111,
    I just saw your post. Thanks for helping the babies. Nice cage! What you are feeding your little ones ? What formula, And how are you feeding them ? What solid foods ? It should be mostly rodent block , than healthy veggies.
    I have 5 that I raised from 1 week old, they are now 10 weeks old and look similar to your guy. They are getting aggressive about thier nesting area now. I noticed, if you are feeding nuts, especially, in the shell, they will get more aggressive. They also go through a " Wilding up" phase. I am getting to the stage of moving them outdoors in an enclosure to prepare for release. They definitely change.... don't be offended by your guy biting. I know , it HURTS! But they are wild animals, and though some are ' sweeter ' than others , they will still bite in the right circumstance.... over food ,feeling threatened, dominance. ....The older they get, the less they need or want us messing with them and their stuff.
    You can try wearing deerskin gloves. I have been bitten badly a few times, broke skin and almost down to bone....it hurt but healed fast. Soaked it in Epsom salt/ warm water and put antibiotics and bandaid.
    I would think it would be better to release together. Maybe someone with more experience can advise.
    How old are the other 2 ?
    Mine are still taking formula 2 to 3 times a day. Fox Valley 20/50. They should always be offered formula and wean themselves off of it. I feed through the the cage now, they are inside and I put the nipple though the cage wires. I try to handle less when possible.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

cava (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkers mom View Post
    Hi marci1111,
    I just saw your post. Thanks for helping the babies. Nice cage! What you are feeding your little ones ? What formula, And how are you feeding them ? What solid foods ? It should be mostly rodent block , than healthy veggies.
    I have 5 that I raised from 1 week old, they are now 10 weeks old and look similar to your guy. They are getting aggressive about thier nesting area now. I noticed, if you are feeding nuts, especially, in the shell, they will get more aggressive. They also go through a " Wilding up" phase. I am getting to the stage of moving them outdoors in an enclosure to prepare for release. They definitely change.... don't be offended by your guy biting. I know , it HURTS! But they are wild animals, and though some are ' sweeter ' than others , they will still bite in the right circumstance.... over food ,feeling threatened, dominance. ....The older they get, the less they need or want us messing with them and their stuff.
    You can try wearing deerskin gloves. I have been bitten badly a few times, broke skin and almost down to bone....it hurt but healed fast. Soaked it in Epsom salt/ warm water and put antibiotics and bandaid.
    I would think it would be better to release together. Maybe someone with more experience can advise.
    How old are the other 2 ?
    Mine are still taking formula 2 to 3 times a day. Fox Valley 20/50. They should always be offered formula and wean themselves off of it. I feed through the the cage now, they are inside and I put the nipple though the cage wires. I try to handle less when possible.
    Hi Binkers Mom,
    Can you tell how old he is by the pics I posted?
    I'm feeding and doing everything right-Nancy helped me in the beginning and alot of reading!
    I'm thinking I may let him go since he really wants to, and leave his cage in the garage window so he has access to it. I don't think I should live him with the little ones anymore-I'm thinking he may get frustrated at me and take it out on them. I'm hoping Nancy replies; I really want him released if she thinks he looks like he's at that age...but it bothers me he still wants his milk...He gets rodent blocks as well. I also put pinecones in there, he is eating those too....?!? Is that nutritional?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to marci1111 from:

LR (10-04-2017)

Natural foods are always absolutely essential to give. Cuttings from trees on the list from Henry's pets, feeding chart, should be used as well as other healthy natural food in your area. I would guess 10 weeks old, as he looks like he could be a sibling to mine and they are 10 -10 1/2 weeks old.
    If you decide to release, I would suggest giving him a nesting box inside his cage.... the release process can take 3 to 4 weeks......the squirrel is moved outside in the cage.....after a week or so the door is opened in the day so he can explore, then when he comes back for the night....he is safely locked back in.....this is repeated until he no longer comes back. He should have a thick tree branch to climb on, in his cage....make sure he can climb!! !
    Also a nesting box in the tree that is near the cage, so he has a place to live. Cover the top of the cage at night, and one side so he feels safe. And you don't want a racoon pooping in the cage.
    You would still need to offer formula, I feed through the cage wire now, and feed him during this process and leave food even after he doesn't return to the cage at night.
    I'm not sure if you should release now, but that is a rough idea of what's involved.
    Hopefully, someone with more experience will offer up an opinion as well

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

LR (10-04-2017)

Last year my little man did the same thing and was about what your's looks like. I spooked him ONE time trying to get him back in the cage, he nailed my hand and it took a few weeks for him to forgive me. I fed him through the cage bars for a while as he transitioned to solids. I imagine he was startled and pissed when you grabbed him.

I also wrote in my thread that I felt he should be released because I "thought he was being so mean" but mine, too, was still taking formula, so I stuck it out and everything ended up fine. Did he ever let me hold him again, no, but I wasn't holding or petting them much anyway, to be honest. After that, when he was out for exercise, he would go back in the cage for a treat, or he'd get into a pet taxi if I put a dab of peanut butter in the back and I'd shut the door and put it up to the cage and he'd jump in.

Honestly, they forgive and forget quickly. Hang in there, I don't think he's quite old enough. He doesn't look to be 16 weeks yet which is what folks suggest is the youngest you should release.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

LR (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Last year my little man did the same thing and was about what your's looks like. I spooked him ONE time trying to get him back in the cage, he nailed my hand and it took a few weeks for him to forgive me. I fed him through the cage bars for a while as he transitioned to solids. I imagine he was startled and pissed when you grabbed him.

I also wrote in my thread that I felt he should be released because I "thought he was being so mean" but mine, too, was still taking formula, so I stuck it out and everything ended up fine. Did he ever let me hold him again, no, but I wasn't holding or petting them much anyway, to be honest. After that, when he was out for exercise, he would go back in the cage for a treat, or he'd get into a pet taxi if I put a dab of peanut butter in the back and I'd shut the door and put it up to the cage and he'd jump in.

Honestly, they forgive and forget quickly. Hang in there, I don't think he's quite old enough. He doesn't look to be 16 weeks yet which is what folks suggest is the youngest you should release.
    Ok, so at feeding this evening, he fed through the wire cage and then went to the back while I took the little ones out....I left the door open...he would normally come out and crawl all around but he stayed far in the back...in the end...i offered him rodent chew afterwards with water in it for a change and added 3 toys that he really likes. My only concern with not releasing him is that what if he hurts the babies due to frustration of being caged? I was thinking of putting him in my old ferret cage at one of my garage windows and opening the cage door....if he wants to go let him go....if he wants to come back, he can, as I'll leave the window open and then reunite him with the others in the big cage. I do want to put revolution on him and the 2 little ones and yes I'll get him a nesting box at michaels tomorrow for his cage in case he doesn't want to go back with the little ones. He will have to come back, I mean can he survive on pinecones? do you know if those are nutritional? I don't see him staying the night outside by himself. What do you think Nancy?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to marci1111 from:

LR (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by marci1111 View Post
    I am a first timer to raising squirrels but during the hurricane 3 fell out of their nests. All has been going well for the last 3 weeks or so, however today while opening the cage door while they were outside, Charlie (the juvenile I believe) tried escaping and running out to the wild. I immediately grabbed him, he bit me very hard I am in shock. He also bit me last night while putting him in his cage for bedtime, but not as nearly as hard as just now. I'm bleeding bad.

Does this mean he is ready to be released? He is still bottle feeding????

I can't believe he did this. I have no idea how old he is.

Should I stop handling him? Should I stop feeding him his bottle? Can someone tell me his appx age by a picture and also how to handle this situation. Should I even feed him anymore milk? He wants usually 15mls 2x a day.....Last night he started that chattering too after he bit me when putting him in his cage. Nancy or anyone, please provide guidance on how to handle this boy. I have him kept with 2 little ones from a different litter that are like half his age half his weight. I wanted to wait and release all together as I'm told their chances of survival are greater if there released in pairs or with others, than by themselves.......

I looked at your other thread and to me Charlie looks way too young to be released.
    My guesstimate of age would be 10-11 weeks.
    I have a group here in my yard that are still with their mom and they look older than Charlie.
    I have pictures I will post tomorrow.
    Also before releasing, you need to have a predator proof release cage outside so that he can come and go.
    They also need a while to acclimate themselves to outdoors, meaning they are outside day and night IN
    the release cage.
    Most of them will return at night for a week or so, and then you lock them in the cage, so
    that no predators can get them.
    Just because he escaped does NOT mean he's ready for the wild.
    I've not met a squirrel that likes to be caged. But most likely when he ran
    it was from fear. Do you give them out of the cage time in the garage?

Is he eating any solids yet, or just taking formula?

Remember a good quality squirrel block is the very first food they
    should have. I always get Henry's blocks for picky eaters.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/
    I give 2 daily along with plenty of healthy veggies from the list.

This is an example of what I give. I try to change up the veggies
    every few days so they don't get bored.

Oh one other question, can they crack hard nuts?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (10-04-2017)

Here's a photo to help gauge Charlie's age.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-04-2017), LR (10-04-2017), marci1111 (10-04-2017)