Thread: Bonding,Imprinting, Nibbling and frantic scurries..

Default Bonding,Imprinting, Nibbling and frantic scurries..

What are good bonding things to do with a 8wk grey? How do you know if he has imprinted on someone?Is nibbling normal or is this a sign of something i need to be concerned with?

Earl loves to play inside of his cage. Loves tug of war and always tries to nibble on my figers. I normally just tell him no biting and he will stop.but trys again.. lol he hasn't ever bitten or bitten down its almost like he is trying to taste me..lol he loves to be scratched and rubbed especially when i can get a good feeding in he loves me to rub him with his soft blankey. But he is not a fan of out side the cage. Inside his cage ge is secure with me but out side his cage he is panic mode.

He doesnt ever trust me to just walk on to my hand i have to cover him . I dont know why he is like that but i was wondering what i could do to help him feel more comfortable with me to trust me. He knows how to call for me when he wants something or doesnt see me. But He isnot like others where their squirrels just walking into them. Im not sure if thats because we dont exactly let him out like i see people have them all ocer their houses .. i plan to modify my sewing room so i can put him in there so he can have some exercise when im in there. .he has been nibbling on the wood perches i made for his cage i was concerned about him chewing the wood.

Any suggestions?I Want him to feel secure about me and trust me.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Earltheofnutz from:

LR (10-07-2017)

Default Re: Bonding,Imprinting, Nibbling and frantic scurries..

Other people in the area, pets, loud noises (like a TV) can all contribute to him being nervous.
    Only try to handle him in a quiet area, with no noise and only you present.

Stroking is not a squirrel 'affection' behavior to a young squirrel... it's a 'wrestle' signal.
    You said he is 'nibbling' you.. that is a sign of attachment.
    Show him the same attention.. make repeated little 'pinching' motions with two fingers on his fur.
    When he 'freezes' and lets you keep doing it you will have figured out the right technique.

Make sure he has lots of outside elements in his cage... limbs, leaves, pinecones, straw.
    He will instinctively feel more comfortable with 'outdoor' elements around him.

You are correct.. the more comfortable he is with you, the more comfortable he will be with the world.
    Baby squirrels look to their mother for signals of danger.
    The more he thinks you are his mom, the more you can indicate to him to feel calm.
    Just don't send him signals to be calm around pets or other people.

Too many people think you should not let a young squirrel get attached to you.
    I have found this theory results in a nervous and neurotic squirrel.
    It will bolt from the escape cage and flee in panic mode.
    A calm squirrel with a maternal figure in the area will slowly explore, and gradually move out.

If you think about it... in the wild they become independent and avoid their own moms very quickly.
    They will do the same with you.

Nibbling on wood... give him a steak bone (not a chicken or pork bone) to nibble on.
    And watch him go crazy on it (filing his teeth and eating the calcium).

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Bigmonspawns (01-31-2022), bre (10-02-2020), LR (10-07-2017)

Default Re: Bonding,Imprinting, Nibbling and frantic scurries..

I agree. Last year I overwintered two squirrels and was afraid I would ruin them if I snuggled them or handled them too much. They were fine and happy youngsters, because they had each other to snuggle and interact with. This year I am overwintering four, and even though they have each other, I am not afraid that they will be unable to be wild if I give them more affection and bond with them. Like all teenagers, come Spring they will wild up and, like the two from this Spring, not want anything to do with me (except for the handouts they get each morning).

You'll find they choose one person to tolerate. Last year when they were in their cage, nobody could cross the threshold into the room or they would go ape****. If my housemate came upstairs during feeding I'd have to tell him to stop talking or shush him up or they'd stop eating and throw a fit.

I agree, having lots of enrichment in the cage will keep him occupied and a good way to do things with him is to play with his toys with him. One of the favorite things of my little ones was just jumping from me and back into the cage over and over. Every sound would spook them at 9 weeks and they'd quickly retreat to the cage. Putting plenty of hiding places, cubes or nest box, in the cage will give him security. Having the cage in a low traffic area and covering the top with a blanket will give him a high up place to retreat. They prefer height and need a place to hide.

Be consistent with your tone and movements. Be confident and cheerful when you interact with him. Try to stick to a schedule for play. Mine used to enjoy staring at me while I watched a movie or ate a snack and I would chat with the while they were in their cage. It's still interaction even if you aren't handling him directly.

Good luck and remember we love photos!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

bre (10-02-2020)