Thread: Orlando/Altamonte Springs rehabber with babies to spare

Default Orlando/Altamonte Springs rehabber with babies to spare

I just wanted to let any Florida folks know that Maryjane still has oodles of babies if anyone needs a buddy for a singleton or just wants to take a few. Her ages range from a few weeks old and up. You can reach her at (407) 260-6137. Leave a message if she doesn't answer. She's probably feeding babies.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (10-03-2017), LR (10-03-2017)

Default Re: Orlando/Altamonte Springs rehabber with babies to spare

I just left her a message. I am only an hour away in Tampa and would like to get info on becoming a licensed rehabber as well. I have a little guy who was brought to me five weeks ago and I am just in love. My papa raised many while I was growing up but Nibbles is my first myself. I plan to release him when ready, not keep him as a pet. The ones Papa raised always stayed close by and came back for treats. And several continued to use a nest box in the screened porch.

Meant to add a couple pics of Nibbles. Hopefully I am doing this right.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Sottinger, thank you for wanting to take a friend for your little one. Unfortunately, this is a very old thread. Also, your little one looks to be too old to accept a friend. Typically the introduction has to be done earlier than 9 weeks. They become pretty set in their ways after that and don’t always take to a newcomer.

Hopefully others will chime in on what they think and what your options are. There’s a lot of TSB members over in the Tampa area.

That’s even better in Tampa! No I wasn’t looking to get him a buddy. I’m actually looking to volunteer with a permitted rehabber for the experience to eventually obtain my own permit.

My best guess is he’s now about 10 weeks old. I tried to upload a video but it didn’t work. He’s a hot mess this last week. He is into everything and runs my shop over. I can’t type if he’s nearby. He thinks my moving fingers mean play time and will bite and wrestle my hands until I stop and play with him. After a few hours I have to take him home so I can get some work done!!

Any advice on clipping his nails or something that will wear them down faster? My legs bleed at least once a day from his nails. I wear a light jacket but now he’s more active and running down my legs and back up. I can’t do pants too with the heat.

This was the day I got him which was August 3rd.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

He’s adoreable! If you send me your contact number in a private message I will pass it on to a couple of rehabbers I know in that area.

Private messages can be sent by clicking on the “notifications” at the top of the page.

Sent, and thank you!

Wschober Guest

Exclamation Re: Orlando/Altamonte Springs rehabber with babies to spare

I’m in Tampa as well and was trying to find a rehabbed to help me with the release portion of caring for the squirrels. I have 3 that I received from someone when they were about 3-4 weeks of age...thin fur, eyes closed, dehydrated. That was last week in August. Well we are now about 8 weeks I’m guessing. Just started offering veggies and they still eagerly eat formula 3x a day...12-15 cc’s. And have noticed they are starting to try out their water bottle.
    Reason I’m looking for assistance is I know at some point soon I have to get them used to being outside and then the hard part...now and when and where to release them. I called a wildlife place and next th8ng I know an officer called me and informed me I was committing a felony crime and began to educate me about the Florida law. I can save them if I keep them, but it’s against the law to rehab them for release purposes and that it could cause me to have a criminal record. He gave me a warning and informed me next time don’t keep them in my possession. Needless to say I will be getting my rehab license for future occurrences.
    But I’d like some assistance for release. I can rescue and raise anything...but not for Iliad on the release aspect. Thanks in advance

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Wschober from:

redwuff (09-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Wschober View Post
    I’m in Tampa as well and was trying to find a rehabbed to help me with the release portion of caring for the squirrels. I have 3 that I received from someone when they were about 3-4 weeks of age...thin fur, eyes closed, dehydrated. That was last week in August. Well we are now about 8 weeks I’m guessing. Just started offering veggies and they still eagerly eat formula 3x a day...12-15 cc’s. And have noticed they are starting to try out their water bottle.
    Reason I’m looking for assistance is I know at some point soon I have to get them used to being outside and then the hard part...now and when and where to release them. I called a wildlife place and next th8ng I know an officer called me and informed me I was committing a felony crime and began to educate me about the Florida law. I can save them if I keep them, but it’s against the law to rehab them for release purposes and that it could cause me to have a criminal record. He gave me a warning and informed me next time don’t keep them in my possession. Needless to say I will be getting my rehab license for future occurrences.
    But I’d like some assistance for release. I can rescue and raise anything...but not for Iliad on the release aspect. Thanks in advance
    Something seems really backward in Florida concerning squirrels.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

No doubt. It totally depends on who you talk to. I've seen vets and rehabbers both welcome help and I've also seen the exact opposite. I've also seen rehabbers so overwhelmed they can't even begin to triage and offer proper support to incoming babies. At that point how could they humanely not allow an unlicensed but loving, caring person to try and help!? I'm going to stop here versus grumble for days about my thoughts about Florida's wildlife rehabilitation permit loopholes. I've tried and until I make acquaintance and friend one I can't even challenge the test. It's as ridiculous as it sounds I assure you.

Florida: Proove 1000 hours of care.
    Me: Sorry I can't. My Papa passed in July.
    Florida: If you can't then take a test.
    Me: Gladly!
    Florida: You must have two letters of recommendation, one of which is from a licensed rehabber.
    Me: I don't know anyone to sponsor me yet in that regard. So really why offer a test out option!?
    Me again: this is STUPID. If you can test out what is the purpose of a letter? I can't even request the test or study material without first submitting an application with such letters.

I was nearly ready to give up when I met someone licensed. I do hope somewhere in the near future she will sponsor me and write the letter I need to study and challenge the test.

If Florida is so overwhelmed then why can't people prove their ability, and network ability, and step up!? 😡

Quote Originally Posted by Wschober View Post
    I sent wschober a pm letting her know that there are several rehabbers in the Tampa area and I will inquire if anyone can release for her when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Something seems really backward in Florida concerning squirrels.
    The way I interpreted the law was that it’s legal to have them in your possession but releasing must be done by a licensed rehabber. The way the law is written about how you get them from the wild is a little dicey, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I sent wschober a pm letting her know that there are several rehabbers in the Tampa area and I will inquire if anyone can release for her when the time comes.
    Crzy4sqrls has offered to release. I sent Wschober her contact info. THANK YOU Crzy4sqrls!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

HRT4SQRLS (09-25-2018)

Forgive my rant please. It was late and I was cranky because still at work. It is frustrating though when I see people trying to help and willing to learn and they are treated ugly like the threats she encountered. It’s really nice to have folks here that are quite the opposite. I realize well meaning individuals do more harm than good quite often, but if someone is here they are actively searching out the right methods. The same for making a call to Florida Wildlife. Thank you Wschober for saving these babies ❤️. We can share a jail cell if we must while trying to get our permits 😜.