Thread: Fur coming off his nose from trying to escape cage

Default Fur coming off his nose from trying to escape cage

Hi,

My Kai is about 14 weeks now. He has a HUGE cage, 30"Length x 18"Depth x 72"Height with several levels. I give him plenty of sleeping sacks which he loves, and lots of sticks and toys.

Here’s my problem, he’s always trying to get out. The bars are wide enough for him to poke his nose out. He does this in the morning and afternoon. He chews and licks constantly and now he is losing fur on his nose. I let him out to play several times a day, but he wants out more (understandable) so how can I stop the chewing or atleast protect his nose?

I was not planning on releasing. He was raised alone, and around my dog. In my area I see ran over squirrels all the time, I just don’t have the heart to let him go. He seems very happy and playful out of his cage, we play fight a lot and he seems to love me. He also plays in his cage a lot. Any advice is appreciated

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lilcourtski from:

LR (10-03-2017)

Default Re: Fur coming off his nose from trying to escape cage

I know he belongs in the trees, so if anyone within hours from Saint Charles MISSOURI are willing to take him and release him properly in an open area and not a lot of cars please message me, willing to drive. I just want what’s best for my little guy.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lilcourtski:

cava (10-03-2017), DarkLies212 (10-03-2017), LR (10-03-2017)

It takes a lot of courage and understanding to release and let go of any animal that you love. Keep bumping your thread till you get a response from someone who can help you...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

Lilcourtski (10-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnRobbins View Post
    It takes a lot of courage and understanding to release and let go of any animal that you love. Keep bumping your thread till you get a response from someone who can help you...
    Thank you! I actually just found a rehabber who will take him and release him through the bi-state wildlife hotline, yay!!!

Before I found her I actually called a rehab facility in Ballwin Mo and they said they would euthanize him if he was unreleasable... can you believe that? All animals deserve life. So happy I found people who care. Thanks for your help!

I hope the plan goes off without a hitch. Just remember that it really will be better for him in the long run if there isn't anything physically wrong wth him..

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

Lilcourtski (10-03-2017)

Truly the secret of happiness for these babies is their freedom.
    Maybe this rehabber who has agreed to release him will let you come and watch his release,
    there really is nothing like watching these little's discover they are free in their world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcourtski View Post
    Hi,
    Here’s my problem, he’s always trying to get out. The bars are wide enough for him to poke his nose out.
    For future reference... this is a problem. Bar or wire spacing should be no more then 1/2" in any direction.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (10-03-2017), Lilcourtski (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

there really is nothing like watching these little's discover they are free in their world.

This is the TRUTH and makes all of the growing pains with these little stinkers TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Lilcourtski (10-04-2017), stepnstone (10-03-2017)