Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Question Re: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Hello everyone, just wanted to give a little update on my baby girl. She had an awesome appetite, up until this morning. I woke up to feed her and she barely took 2 cc's. She didn't show much interest in eating and was letting the formula drip out of her little mouth, which she hasn't done before. She also lost 2 grams since yesterday so, I am getting more and more concerned.

Anything special I should/can give her to increase her appetite? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Elise from:

LR (10-14-2017)

Default Re: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    Hello everyone, just wanted to give a little update on my baby girl. She had an awesome appetite, up until this morning. I woke up to feed her and she barely took 2 cc's. She didn't show much interest in eating and was letting the formula drip out of her little mouth, which she hasn't done before. She also lost 2 grams since yesterday so, I am getting more and more concerned.

Anything special I should/can give her to increase her appetite? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance
    Has this little one aspirated? Can you hear a wheezing or clicking when she breathes?
    How often are you feeding and what amount.
    It's never a good sign when they loose weight.
    Are you feeding the powdered puppy esbilac?
    How are her poops?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Elise (10-04-2017), LR (10-04-2017)

Default Re: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Has this little one aspirated? Can you hear a wheezing or clicking when she breathes?
    How often are you feeding and what amount.
    It's never a good sign when they loose weight.
    Are you feeding the powdered puppy esbilac?
    How are her poops?

It seems that she's gotten her appetite back since this morning. She's eaten with gusto the last 2 feedings, eating 7% at each feeding

I will go ahead and answer your questions though,

She's never aspirated (with me). There's no sound when she breathes. She gets formula every four hours, I offer her 7% and she usually eats it all. I will weigh her in a couple of hours, she just ate and I always weigh her when she's not full of formula. Yes, powered esbilac with pre and pro biotics. Her poops are more normal looking now and they are beginning to smell less and less. So I'm actually thinking she may be on the right track and this morning was just a fluke (hoping).

Here's a short 2 minute video I just shot of her https://youtu.be/x6cbGNrDw0M

Oh, and I decided on a name today: Dot. It fits her so well, I think. She's so dainty and delicate. I love when she touches me with her little nubs
    Baby LuLu entered my life on April 28, 2015

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-04-2017), LR (10-04-2017), stepnstone (10-04-2017)

Hello everyone. I wanted to give a quick update.

Little Dot is doing well. She has gained about 6 grams in the week I've had her. Her gaining is going slower than I'd like, but at least she's going in the right direction. She is still getting used to me. She does't like to be held during feedings, so I feed her from her container. I tend to spook her when I approach her container, but she's slowing getting less and less spooked.

I got an email yesterday from Dot's finder. I wanted to share it as it may give clues to how Dot ended up like she did. I thought it was very interesting:

"It's been a week now. Hence, I figured we'd check with you how the little girl is getting along. We ended up finding "big" brother in our yard as well. Hannah witnessed the mama squirrel giving him a very violent boot out of the nest. The mom appears to be very unhealthy (one eye missing, tattered tail) and is most likely extremely stressed. I really hope she won't have any more babies. "Big" brother - and, yes, he is considerably bigger than his little sister - was bloody and beat up. I ended up taking him to the Pet Emergency Center in Missoula the very same afternoon he landed in our yard where he was picked up by a vet from Alberton the next day. He is definitely releasable and we very much suspect that he is the reason why our girl was so small."

... I am concerned for the momma squirrel. She sounds like she's in bad shape and may need some intervention. I am debating setting up a trap near the nest for the momma. The only thing is I'm not sure of how I should go about trying to rehab her if I am able to trap her.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-09-2017), LR (10-14-2017)

IF you can trap her and get her to chill sufficiently in a cage (provide LOTS of cover), she may just need good food, rest, a hit of some revolution, and rest and more rest. She may be all babied out - I would push the calcium - if she has had several litters they can nurse themselves right into MBD. Sometimes they just need to come in and not have to compete and rest for a bit.

It would be nice if they could somehow block her nest while she is with you so it won't be taken over.

You never know. Sometimes they come around really fast and seem to understand that you are helping them.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Elise (10-09-2017), LR (10-14-2017)

I an absolutely smitten with your Dot. Gaaaaaaa! She is precious--and TINY! If she IS a dwarf, then brother would be lots bigger. I hope you can help her mama.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Elise (10-09-2017), LR (10-14-2017)

Just wanted to give a brief update on Dot. She is doing GREAT! As of today, she weighs 112 grams! Almost doubling in size since I got her on 10/1. She is perky and spends most of her time sleeping.

She is also a professional paw tucker:
    Name:  2BBAC83C-7472-44E2-B15C-F7BCDC34C3B5.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  99.9 KB

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-14-2017), Jen413 (10-15-2017), LR (10-14-2017), missPixy (10-17-2017), TubeDriver (10-18-2017)

Awww, Dot! What a darling gal.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Elise (10-14-2017), LR (10-14-2017)

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! DOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! You are one kayooooot little girl. I'm glad Dot is feeling good. She's just a precious little squirrelette! And I LOVE her double paw tuck.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Elise (10-14-2017)

A big clue into the mystery of Dot fell into my lap yesterday. So, as you may have read earlier in the thread, Dot’s finders also found one of Dot’s siblings a few days after they found Dot. A little boy. Well, actually a big boy. Compared to Dot at least.

I visited the finders with Dottie yesterday. I hadn’t realized they had pictures of the brother!:

Name:  BB77D149-3882-46E6-A45E-A5EEAF33FE7E.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  105.2 KBName:  609E6091-F3B4-4749-9EB1-AAE82E65C1B6.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  120.1 KBName:  221EAEEA-B2AA-4F3F-88D5-60A2C488A1C9.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  100.4 KB

So!

Since the brother has a very similar finger/toe situation going on as Dot, does this mean this is definitely a genetic disfigurement? Or could something (rat?) could have attacked both babies? And, because the brother was so much bigger than Dot was at the same time (a few days) does that also point to Dot being a dwarf?

I would love others’ input! Thank you in advance.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-18-2017), Nancy in New York (10-18-2017)

Bump!

With Momma being in such bad shape and both babies it seems more likely that something attacked them and Momma fought it? Just a guess though. Glad both of the babies are safe. Any luck trying to get the Momma?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Elise (10-18-2017)

Boy, I still lean toward something eating their toes. I hate to say it but it could also have been mom... As far as being a dwarf, I say watch and wait - little one is clearly the runt because the boy got all the chow. She may always be small but as far as the other signs, you need to watch how "squirrely" she gets to decide if she is what everyone refers to as "Downs" babies.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Elise (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Jen413 View Post
    With Momma being in such bad shape and both babies it seems more likely that something attacked them and Momma fought it? Just a guess though. Glad both of the babies are safe. Any luck trying to get the Momma?

I've left out a live trap for the momma. The finders are keeping an eye out for her.
    Baby LuLu entered my life on April 28, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Boy, I still lean toward something eating their toes. I hate to say it but it could also have been mom... As far as being a dwarf, I say watch and wait - little one is clearly the runt because the boy got all the chow. She may always be small but as far as the other signs, you need to watch how "squirrely" she gets to decide if she is what everyone refers to as "Downs" babies.
    I also believe that it was the mother who did it. She booted the brother out of the nest quite violently, so she's shown aggression towards them before...

During the visit with Dot’s finders this week, they took some great photos of her. I wanted to share a few of my favorites:

Name:  2C7F5314-1D84-4723-BF34-F3B4DEF3B368.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  62.6 KBName:  97726CA6-5BC4-41D4-84E4-7139FF38AE7D.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  50.5 KBName:  53CEA26B-1A75-4455-8578-3C74E7EF22F6.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  58.2 KBName:  698E07CB-6BE8-4440-AC20-05410F19CD30.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  39.9 KBName:  6D21DC24-4CDE-4BB0-B82A-56D75A6CF87E.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  52.2 KB

She's precious!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

Elise (10-20-2017)

Watch for behavioral signs as well as physical. Is Dot heart meltingly clumsey? How about eating? Does she hold her food normally? A dwarf is tiny. Features are soft. They can be crazy hard to feed and some only want formula. They can be high functioning and VERY squirrley or low functioning--docile little buggers who want to live their short blessed lives in someones arms. As CM said, watch and wait. Personally, I hope you have a mini squirrel who will give you many years of joy without dwarfish issues.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Elise (10-20-2017)

Is she still alive? It’s been nearly a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippergray View Post
    Is she still alive? It’s been nearly a year.
    Yes, Dot is still alive She is fully grown and completely healthy, I'm happy to say She is definitely on the small size for a foxer. I kept a close eye on her fingers and toes while she was young and still had scabs, she never developed any infection, thankfully. Dottie does have 1 finger on her front right paw and 1 toe on each of her feet. For this reason, she's not the best climber.

Her disposition is not super friendly, unfortunately. I wish I would have found her when she was much younger, but since she was eyes open, she never ended up bonding with me. I mean, she appreciates me because I feed her and talk to her (I think), but she doesn't like to get any loving like my other forever squirrels do.

I feel very bad about this. I wanted to give her the best life, but I don't think I'm living up to that. I truly want the very best for her. It is for this reason I have arranged to drive her from my home here in Bozeman, MT to The Squirrel Refuge, outside of Portland, OR, so she can live in their HUGE outdoor enclosure they have specifically for handicapped squirrels. I will be taking her on this 12 hour journey on October 1st, along with my only baby I rehabbed this year, Gertie. I have released my babies at The Squirrel Refuge every year for the last 3 years. They are so wonderful and I am so thankful that they do what they do and they are willing to release for me (I don't currently have a soft release location).

Thanks for asking about Dot.

35. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

AnaMM (09-16-2018), cava (09-16-2018), Mel1959 (09-17-2018), SammysMom (09-17-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast