Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Exclamation Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Just got this little girl tonight, she is MISSING FINGERS on all four paws. She just has little nubs where her fingers should be. Her eyes are open yet she weighs only exactly 60.0 grams she's a foxer but her tail is very short. It feels dead and hard on the end. I imagine it has been breaking off. Please see photos. She obviously has patches of hair missing as well. I'm about to feed her some rehydration formula. She is trembling in the corner of her box (heat on half) she also has stinky poop and what appears to be mites. Poor little thing I just want to help her.

Name:  IMG_4144.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  54.4 KBName:  IMG_4137.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  52.9 KB

I am very concerned for her. Is euthanasia her only option? I haven't seen anything like this before. Please, please help. I will be up all night checking on her and checking this page.
    Baby LuLu entered my life on April 28, 2015

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Elise from:

LR (10-02-2017)

Default Re: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

Here are more pics, sorry the quality isn't great. I'm trying to disturb her as little as possible.

Name:  IMG_4148.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  130.7 KBName:  IMG_4142.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  54.1 KBName:  IMG_4134.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  65.9 KB

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Elise from:

LR (10-02-2017)

Default Re: Fingers missing, patches of hair gone, eyes open 60 gram little girl

She just ate, very slowly.

The only thing I can come up with is frostbite. But that's just a guess right now. We had cold temps and snow at night off and on last week. She was found on Thursday night by the finder so I guess it's possible she was outside for too long during those cold snaps and lost all her fingers, toes and most of her tail as a result... ?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    Just got this little girl tonight, she is MISSING FINGERS on all four paws. She just has little nubs where her fingers should be. Her eyes are open yet she weighs only exactly 60.0 grams she's a foxer but her tail is very short. It feels dead and hard on the end. I imagine it has been breaking off. Please see photos. She obviously has patches of hair missing as well. I'm about to feed her some rehydration formula. She is trembling in the corner of her box (heat on half) she also has stinky poop and what appears to be mites. Poor little thing I just want to help her.
    I am very concerned for her. Is euthanasia her only option? I haven't seen anything like this before. Please, please help. I will be up all night checking on her and checking this page.
    Poor baby, what is her story, how was she found?
    Does her missing fingers appear as a deformity or as they may have been cut / chewed off?
    Sounds as if a rat may have gotten hold of her.
    You can wipe her down with a damp cloth with liquid unscented dawn dish detergent to kill fleas,
    squirrel fleas are different from cat/dog thats maybe what you are seeing. Do they appear dark in
    color, white, or transparent?
    The dark spot on her head, what is it?
    You mention her in a box. Cardboard pulls moisture from these babies and aids in dehydration. It's best
    if you can place her in something like a Sterilite/ plastic Container. Add some material she can burrow down
    in to feel safe like fleece, old pillow case or sheet type material. No towels or anything with loops she can
    get caught on.
    What are you hydrating with and what are you using to feed her with?

With missing fingers she will be non- releasable. Euthanasia is not her only option, finding her a forever home
    when that time comes is.

Just saw your above post. Frostbite possible I suppose but would think if cold enough to do that damage it would
    have also shut her body down from the extreme cold.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

astra (10-02-2017), cava (10-02-2017), Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), Mel1959 (09-17-2018), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Poor baby, what is her story, how was she found?
    Does her missing fingers appear as a deformity or as they may have been cut / chewed off?
    You can wipe her down with a damp cloth with liquid unscented dawn dish detergent to kill fleas,
    squirrel fleas are different from cat/dog thats maybe what you are seeing. Do they appear dark in
    color, white, or transparent?
    The dark spot on her head, what is it?
    You mention her in a box. Cardboard pulls moisture from these babies and aids in dehydration. It's best
    if you can place her in something like a Sterilite/ plastic Container. Add some material she can burrow down
    in to feel safe like fleece, old pillow case or sheet type material. No towels or anything with loops she can
    get caught on.
    What are you hydrating with and what are you using to feed her with?

With missing fingers she will be non- releasable. Euthanasia is not her only option, finding her a forever home
    when that time comes is.
    Thank you for responding!

The only info I have from the finders is they found her last Thursday night on the side walk in their trailer park. They've had her ever since. They told me she was "missing claws" which I didn't really understand until I got there to pick her up. I'm amazed she's alive honestly.

It appears to me to be a deformity, because the ends of the nubs are smooth- not scabbed over or jagged. But that's really my only clue so I'm not sure.

The "mites" are dark tiny specks. The finders had given her a few dawn baths over the weekend, so instead of immediately getting her into water tonight, I sprinkled some diatomaceous earth and rubbed it into her fur. I will give her another dawn bath tomorrow.

I said box, but I meant plastic Tupperware container that I use for all my babies. She's my fourth this year I've got the basics covered but the missing fingers/toes is completely new to me. She's been given the salt/sugar/h2o rehydration formula with a miracle nipple on a syringe.

The dark spot appears to be a mole? It's under her skin.

She has a forever home with me and my two other forever pet squirrels. I only went straight to the euthanasia subject because she is in such terrible shape, and I didn't know if she could recover. I will definitely fight with her if that's the most humane thing to do.

Thanks again for responding.

10. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

astra (10-02-2017), cava (10-02-2017), Jen413 (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), missPixy (10-17-2017), stepnstone (10-02-2017)

Thank you for responding!

The only info I have from the finders is they found her last Thursday night on the side walk in their trailer park. They've had her ever since. They told me she was "missing claws" which I didn't really understand until I got there to pick her up. I'm amazed she's alive honestly.

I said box, but I meant plastic Tupperware container that I use for all my babies. She's my fourth this year I've got the basics covered but the missing fingers/toes is completely new to me. She's been given the salt/sugar/h2o rehydration formula with a miracle nipple on a syringe.

The dark spot appears to be a mole? It's under her skin.

She has a forever home with me and my two other forever pets. I only went straight to the euthanasia subject because she is in such terrible shape, and I didn't know if she could recover. I will definitely fight with her if that's the most humane thing to do.

Thanks again for responding.
    I did see your not a "newbie" after the fact, appears you have the basics covered.
    She's obviously a fighter to have survived whatever it was she has been through,
    now she is safe, warm, being fed and has an even better chance. Keep positive thoughts!
    These babies are fragile as well as resilient, she's already proof of that.

We have another member with a squirrel found with missing digits like this. He's grown up
    to be a happy healthy squirrel that never let his disability stop him from being a squirrel.
    I will try and direct you to his forum if I can remember who the member is and find it.

And yes, fight for her! It's not just humane, it's the right thing to do. All life deserves a
    chance to live, all life has value!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

12. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

astra (10-02-2017), cava (10-02-2017), Delo729 (10-02-2017), Elise (10-02-2017), Jen413 (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017)

I will definitely fight for her. I would like to check out the thread of the other disabled squirrel, to see what I will need to do differently for her.

She will have a loving home with me

Thanks again for your help

14. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-02-2017), Jen413 (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017), stepnstone (10-02-2017), TubeDriver (10-18-2017)

I will definitely fight for her. I would like to check out the thread of the other disabled squirrel, to see what I will need to do differently for her.
    She will have a loving home with me
    Thanks again for your help
    Good to hear! She has to get better, she has a future waiting...
    Will search for that thread, if I can't find it I know who can.

Found it! This little guy should really give you encouragement...
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...l+missing+feet
    Last edited by stepnstone; 10-02-2017 at 03:15 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (10-02-2017), Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017)

Don't put her down! Let her fight! These little ones have amazing healing powers if only given the opportunity. Get rid of the mites, then put her on a proper nutrition regimen to get her strength up.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LexisDad from:

LR (10-02-2017)

Stepnstone, thank you for the link. I've been going back to the thread off and on when I had time today, and it's super encouraging. I'm so happy that she may be able to have a great quality of life even with her disabilities. She's doing better today. She's put on 3 grams since last night

I do have a few follow up questions:

1) hair loss- is this an effect of the mites? Is there anything I should be doing to encourage hair growth, besides have her on a nutritionally sound diet? Unless it's permanent? I believe I've gotten rid of most of the mites, I can't see any on her right now.

2) her tail- it is already very short (about 1/2 normal length) and the remaining end is hard and I believe it will fall off eventually. Is there a protocol for something like a dying tail?

3) smelly poop with odd coloring- I have baycox that I can give her, but im not positive that coccidia is what's the issue here. I seem to remember that baycox is relatively safe for squirrels, but I wanted to confirm that I'm ok to start her on a regimen of that if I'm not 100% sure that's the problem?

4)weight- what is the preferred weight gain supplement I can add to her diet? I think Henry's has one, but I don't know if it's preferred.

Finally, I wanted to clarify on her nubs- now that it's light out I can see more clearly, she actually does have healed up scabs/scars on the end of each little nub. So, perhaps it was a rat.

Thank you Stepnstone for all your help

Here are some pics of her today. She has stolen my heart

Name:  IMG_4153.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  95.7 KBName:  IMG_4149.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  96.6 KBName:  IMG_4152.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  95.3 KB

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

cava (10-02-2017), lennysmom (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017)

Stepnstone, thank you for the link. I've been going back to the thread off and on when I had time today, and it's super encouraging. I'm so happy that she may be able to have a great quality of life even with her disabilities. She's doing better today. She's put on 3 grams since last night
    Amazing little fella isn't he... It's good she's already gaining.
    I do have a few follow up questions:

1) hair loss- is this an effect of the mites? Is there anything I should be doing to encourage hair growth, besides have her on a nutritionally sound diet? Unless it's permanent? I believe I've gotten rid of most of the mites, I can't see any on her right now.
    I'm inclined to think what you were seeing with the black dots were flea eggs. If mites remain a concern I'd purchase Revolution for puppies and kittens and apply just a drop or two from the pipette, that would definitely take care of mites. I'm really thinking whatever had hold of her caused the hair loss on her head, that is not a usual pattern one sees from mite damage. It should grow back with time, having good nutrition will help.

2) her tail- it is already very short (about 1/2 normal length) and the remaining end is hard and I believe it will fall off eventually. Is there a protocol for something like a dying tail?
    Your correct, it will fall off eventually, it's best to just let it do it's thing. There is no protocol for a dying tail unless it were to become infected or they were chewing on it.

3) smelly poop with odd coloring- I have baycox that I can give her, but im not positive that coccidia is what's the issue here. I seem to remember that baycox is relatively safe for squirrels, but I wanted to confirm that I'm ok to start her on a regimen of that if I'm not 100% sure that's the problem?
    Baycox is safe for use dosed correctly. Personally I'd be inclined to give a little time to see if being on a good diet will straighten her out before I'd jump on coccidia. But that's just me, it's your call.

4)weight- what is the preferred weight gain supplement I can add to her diet? I think Henry's has one, but I don't know if it's preferred.
    I wouldn't be rushing her with supplements or adding to her formula as long as her weight is going in the right direction. Obviously she has some catching up to do, give her time. Her formula should be adequate as it stands and you do need to get her bowels stable before pushing too much too soon on her little system.
    I have never had to use supplements on my babies outside my mbd squirrel. Others would have to advise you on that and what they have used if you go in that direction.

Finally, I wanted to clarify on her nubs- now that it's light out I can see more clearly, she actually does have healed up scabs/scars on the end of each little nub. So, perhaps it was a rat.
    I really do think something had hold of her...
    Keep a close eye on her nubs/scabs for any infection. Hopefully she's past that now.

Thank you Stepnstone for all your help
    Glad to help...

And her little world just got a whole lot better...

She is precious.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017)

Oh, those little crispy ears. Sweet gal, she's lucky to have you.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Elise (10-02-2017), Nancy in New York (10-02-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Oh, those little crispy ears. Sweet gal, she's lucky to have you.
    Elise, are her ears "just" folded or are they crusty around the edges?
    How does inside the ear appear, clean or dirty?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-02-2017)

Oh dear, she has stolen my heart as well.
    You are getting excellent advice.
    This little one is SO lucky to have found her way to you!

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-02-2017), Elise (10-02-2017), lennysmom (10-02-2017), LR (10-14-2017)

Precious baby sending prayers

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Elise, are her ears "just" folded or are they crusty around the edges?
    How does inside the ear appear, clean or dirty?
    I just inspected them and they are crusty near the inner ear. What should I do?

I have been puzzled about her ears still being pinned back even though she's older than when they usually pop out. Why would this be?

Thank you so much again for your help, baby and I both really appreciate your advice

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words and thoughts

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

LR (10-03-2017), Nancy in New York (10-03-2017)

I have a little dwarf named Punkin. She is very old now and has lost much of her fur. Your baby's head shape looks so much like Punkins--and her stubby little body is "dwarfish". Punkin had one wonky ear when I got her over two years ago. That ear looks like your sweetie's ear. Punkin also has huge limpid eyes--like your baby. It will be interesting to watch her grow--and I really hope she grows BIG and strong. She is beautiful--and one lucky little girl!

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-03-2017)

I just inspected them and they are crusty near the inner ear. What should I do?
    I'd just use a dampen q tip to clean it out, you could use a little baby oil or the like to soften any crusties.
    I was more concerned about the rim of the outer ear, generally when you see them scabby and crusty it is mites.
    From what I thought I was seeing in the pictures her ears especially, did remind me of a dwarf's.

I have been puzzled about her ears still being pinned back even though she's older than when they usually pop out. Why would this be?
    Chickenlegs knows the signs of dwarfism first hand, I agree it will be interesting to see if that is what you have.
    If you do it could answer some questions and at least you'll have a darn good reference to turn to with CL.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

36. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Elise (10-02-2017), LR (10-03-2017)

That would be an amazing gift if she truly is a dwarf

She has a very healthy appetite, which is encouraging. She is perky and alert, and is becoming less and less scared of me.

One of the things about her I feel is notable is that she doesn't really nurse. She doesn't attach to the nipple at all, she licks from the tip of the nipple like a grown squirrel does... which I find strange.

38. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Elise:

LR (10-03-2017), Nancy in New York (10-03-2017)

IF she's a dwarf she may be older than she looks. A dwarf squirrel frequently has issues with a nipple. They have tongues that are as clumsy as they are and can have issues swallowing. They aspirate really easily so sometimes a nipple doesn't do well for them. Maybe a mini nipple. If she licks the end of the syringe--super. They're really clumsey and have a hard time holding things--and that's with all their digits. Punkin holks things more with her wrists than her fingers.

40. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Elise (10-03-2017), LR (10-03-2017), Nancy in New York (10-03-2017), stepnstone (10-03-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast