Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nails'

Default Nails'

Okay guys! I need help! My squirrels claws are getting crazy! What can I do to get them to be not as sharp?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kenzie from:

LR (10-01-2017)

Default Re: Nails'

Wear long sleeves is what everybody dose.

4. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Grinderhead:

cava (10-01-2017), LR (10-01-2017), lukaslolamaus (10-01-2017), muggsy'sgm (10-11-2017), Nancy in New York (10-01-2017), stepnstone (10-01-2017), UDoWhat (10-01-2017)

Yes, come join us! You can tell squirrel people - they are swathed head to toe in multiple layers of clothing...in AUGUST. We all own terry cloth robes that look like we put them through a Cuisinart. Strip us down and we all look like cutters.

But they are so CUTE!

I glued sheets of 100 grit sandpaper onto a piece of plywood and turned it into a ramp in my squirrel's enclosure and running up and down it keeps them just cleaned up enough that they don't snag on things but my shoulders are a mute testimony to how sharp they remain!

6. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

bre (09-13-2020), BuckysMommy (11-13-2019), cava (10-01-2017), Grinderhead (10-01-2017), Lindsay&Sonny (11-22-2021), LR (10-01-2017), lukaslolamaus (10-01-2017), Nancy in New York (10-01-2017), stepnstone (10-01-2017)

Depending on the age and disposition of the squirrel you can
    attempt to clip the nails with baby toe nail clippers.

I always clip the very tip of Sammy's off. Enough to not make them daggers but he still climbs with ease. I usually use baby nail clippers but have recently started using the ferrets nail clippers that look more like scissors. Works well and I usually do it when he isn't paying attention.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

cava (10-02-2017)

We trim Seymours nails when they get too long. I hold him and my daughter just trims off the ends with nail clippers. Your squirrel will probably be very vocal but it doesn't hurt them, their just dramatic lol. Seymour is 2 years old now we've been doing it for a while lol some less dramatic squirrels will let you file them willingly.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Seymour's mom:

BuckysMommy (11-13-2019), Katkat (06-28-2021)

We use a cat nail file (basically a Dremel tool) and it works great.

I also have my "squirrel sweater" I wear around the house and yoga pants that he can climb easily . He runs up and down and around me like a tree .

I would put large, oversize sweat pants over whatever I was wearing and a high neck, zip-up hoodie. That is my squirrel uniform. And shoes, my goodness, no bare feet!

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    And shoes, my goodness, no bare feet!
    You aren't kidding there!! Sammy HATES feet!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

It's insane how mean they were to my feet, like wanted to kill them. And Frances would get into the barking and everything. Little brats!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Jen413 (10-03-2017)

I bought a couple of those Cozy Corner Roost Bird Perch Sand on PVC perches and strategically placed them in my cages so the little darlings would have to travel over them to get up to the next level. Works great!, No more razor sharp talons, just normal claws that don't any maintenance and lots less blood. My hands and arms no longer look like I have been in a fight with a rose bush. I don't have the perches in the pre-release cages and after two weeks their claws are as sharp as ever and ready to go climb whatever awaits them.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ClemC5:

cava (10-03-2017), island rehabber (10-03-2017), LR (10-03-2017)

I have a male, non releasable (Rocco) I think he's about 8, his nails seemed to start growing out of control these past several months. They are horrible. I took him to the vet and they only trimmed the ends of his nails. I asked if they could have been cut shorter but the tech said no. I am at a loss as to what to do. He has a few of the bird pearches that are abrasive but they do not help. He keeps getting snagged in his bedding and it is really really bothering me and certainly more so him . I have no idea what else to do. I will try making a sandpaper ramp to see if that helps. But honestly its the length of his nails that is worrying me, really really worrying me...

Please Help?

Anybody

So I had the idea of trying cat nail caps. Has anybody tried to see if it works? I'm thinking trying the kitten size as my guys are 5 weeks old. I usually just do the long sleeve and pants, but thought this may be worth a try, maybe? Thoughts?

��my reply to the nail caps��With my 2 as they get older chew everything and hope they would not pop off and become a choking hazard��

Quote Originally Posted by ENZO View Post
    Anybody
    Use human infant toenail clippers and only clip the section at the tip that's translucent or white. Any deeper and you will cut the quick and cause bleeding and traumatize the animal and make future trimmings more difficult.

Does anyone have more precise information about the location of the quick? We have a squirrel that has difficulty navigating 1/4 inch mesh hardware cloth without nail trimming. I've trimmed beyond the white tips without a problem only cutting enough to allow her to run comfortably in her cage. Still, I would like to know better where the quick begins.

Sometimes there's a crease in the arc of nail. Is that an indicator of the quick location?

1/2" Hardware cloth is more typical and would likely resolve the problem without any need for nail trimming. That would seems to be the easier, more proper solution.

Generally, trimming the nails of squirrels is not advised. The full nail is very necessary for proper climbing and leaping. For wild squirrels the nails are also weapons.

Is this a squirrel that you plan to release? Are there some conditions which prevent the squirrel from being released?

Buddy a 6 month old male plays on our large back porch (screened in) and running on the concrete keeps his nails nicely worn. Also have wrapped the perch rods in his cage with 180 grit wet dry sand paper which helps. He climbs all over me with only the occasional slice ( shorts and tee shirt ). As for the toes he has learned that they are off limits as a chew toy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast