Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MBD

Default Re: MBD

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky102014 View Post
    So you guys say he won't starve himself. Remember, Rocky was on a very poor diet and now we are changing his life of 3 years to a totally different diet. I'm sure for now he will probably only eat the blocks and peanut butter with calcium mixed in it. Will still keep trying the veg. (Broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce) each day. I can tell he wants more food, but he is fighting the new diet. Happy that he at least seems to like the block. As he heals, I'm sure he will start eating the Veg.
    I know people say that they won't starve themselves, but thank God, I have never had to try.
    I would really worry if he isn't eating much of anything and you see his weight decline.
    I don't know how people do this, but I know it's a must from all that I've read about MBD.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LR (10-11-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

I only suggested the formula because some adults like it and it would be nutritive and if he likes it then you'd be assured he's getting more calories, especially if he is boycotting healthy food. You could add a touch of full fat vanilla yogurt for taste and it would be healthy for his gut too.

Just a suggestion. I think I would try just about anything if I was watching him be super picky. Sometimes it only takes one thing to get an anorexic animal to eat and things can take off from there. Best wishes for your little muffin.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (10-11-2017), Nancy in New York (10-08-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

Just stick with the 300mg per day of calcium and try to get him to eat his two blocks. The calcium will stop the MBD process but he wil lhave a long way to go in order to recover.

I weighed him again and he is 473 grams. I talked to Lynn at Herny's earlier today. Believe we decided ro give him 300mg a day for the next few days. Have not been able to get him to eat his second squirrel block yet today. If he doesn't eat it, should I give him extra calcium?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

LR (10-11-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

I do welcome any suggestions. Definitely don't like seeing him eat less. He is sick and of coarse at the beginning he wasn't eating at all. He has improved more each day and we want him eating the way he should be. Unfortunately, we don't know how he is feeling and how much he should be eating when he is not himself. Want him to get all the nutritional foods he is suppose to have. If you remember, the first week he didn't eat any solids. He has started eating the blocks the last few days. I can tell that he seems to want something else because he has started watching me eat and acts like he wants what I have. This is a good sign that he is feeling better. Will keep pushing the veggies each day after he eats his morning block and hopefully he will eat the second block. He has not wanted the second block the last two nights. This does concern me, but even though he hasn't eaten the second block, he has improved in active and movement.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

cava (10-08-2017), LR (10-11-2017), Nancy in New York (10-08-2017)

I do welcome any suggestions. Definitely don't like seeing him eat less. He is sick and of coarse at the beginning he wasn't eating at all. He has improved more each day and we want him eating the way he should be. Unfortunately, we don't know how he is feeling and how much he should be eating when he is not himself. Want him to get all the nutritional foods he is suppose to have. If you remember, the first week he didn't eat any solids. He has started eating the blocks the last few days. I can tell that he seems to want something else because he has started watching me eat and acts like he wants what I have. This is a good sign that he is feeling better. Will keep pushing the veggies each day after he eats his morning block and hopefully he will eat the second block. He has not wanted the second block the last two nights. This does concern me, but even though he hasn't eaten the second block, he has improved in active and movement.
    Try giving him a little piece of avacado without the peel or skin.
    It's in the group 3 because it's high in fat, and right now it may taste good.
    Try some Arugula and dandelion greens.
    Also give a couple of sugar snap peas. Again, they are on the 3rd group because
    of the sugar content.
    Just a little something that may perk his interest every so often.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-08-2017), LR (10-11-2017), Rocky102014 (10-08-2017)

Thanks Nancy, not sure if everyone remembers that Rocky is paralyzed in his arms and paws. His equilibrium in the back is a little off too. So Rocky does not move around a lot like most squirrels. I'm thinking he probably doesn't eat as much as a normal squirrel because he is not as active. Can't say for such because I don't know how much a normal squirrel eats. I can say that 2 blocks a day is about all he can eat on a normal day for him. When he does get fully well, I'm not sure if he can eat 2 blocks plus veggies (plus all the other things you guys have posted). There are days he does eat more (before he got MBD) What are your thoughts on this?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky102014 from:

LR (10-11-2017)

I am unfamiliar with MBD. What is this condition? and how can i prevent it in my baby squirrel Peanut?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirelmomma from:

LR (10-11-2017)

I'll let the rehab people explain this. Don't give him any bird seed like I did. If you read all of this post, many people have posted the diet your squirrel should be on so they won't get this. It's a lack of calcium which make their bones brittle and cause them to become paralyzed or even death.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

cava (10-09-2017), LR (10-11-2017), Nancy in New York (10-14-2017)

Update on Rocky, he is showing improvement and even gets excited when I take him outside to his treehouse. Moving more each day. As all of you guys have said "he has a long road before complete recovery". My picky eater has not made this journey easy.

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

cava (10-11-2017), Jen413 (10-11-2017), LR (10-11-2017), Nancy in New York (10-11-2017)

Thanks Nancy, not sure if everyone remembers that Rocky is paralyzed in his arms and paws. His equilibrium in the back is a little off too. So Rocky does not move around a lot like most squirrels. I'm thinking he probably doesn't eat as much as a normal squirrel because he is not as active. Can't say for such because I don't know how much a normal squirrel eats. I can say that 2 blocks a day is about all he can eat on a normal day for him. When he does get fully well, I'm not sure if he can eat 2 blocks plus veggies (plus all the other things you guys have posted). There are days he does eat more (before he got MBD) What are your thoughts on this?
    island rehabber had a little squirrel Krista that was very compromise from birth.
    She basically could only scoot around on her side by pulling herself along the cage.
    She too was PICKY, but not only picky, even with the things she loved, she did NOT eat a lot.
    (I know this because I babysat her a couple of times a year for a few months.)
    Maura and I were always amazed at how little it took to sustain her little body, but then again,
    she was "compromised" and not a lot of movement.
    Like you said, since Rocky has some paralysis and doesn't move a lot, this may be why he
    doesn't eat much.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ghlight=Krista

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-11-2017), LR (10-12-2017), Rocky102014 (10-11-2017)

Because I only gave him deer corn twice a day and nuts a few times a day, I never really noticed how little he ate. All the new food and care is going to take time for Rocky and I to get adjusted to. Rocky is starting his third week of treatment for MBD. He still will only ear one block in the morning. Think I will try to crush up the block with a pecan in the evening and see if he will eat it. Just seems with the one block and the balls of peanut butter mixed with the calcium is a lot for him right now. Maybe his appetite will improve as he does. Rocky is moving better and seems more like himself , but he is not fully healed yet.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

LR (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-14-2017)

Just remember to keep him well hydrated. If they aren't well hydrated
    they seem to lose interest in food, and they become lethargic.
    Glad you are seeing some improvement.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LR (10-12-2017), Rocky102014 (10-12-2017)

So Nancy, what ever became of Krista? I read a bunch about her and got tied of reading? Very cute squirrel. Reminds me of Rocky when we first got him. Lot of baths because he was totally paralyzed at first. Took awhile for him to trust me. I made a dome around his stairs so he wouldn't fall off the sides. Had to use very thin clear plastic from a picture poster frame. This way his paws wouldn't get caught in the wire. Also put the plastic around the whole cage. His arms don't move so when he scoots around the side of the cage his paw would get stuck.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

LR (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

Red face Re: MBD

Yes on the hydration. I give him as much as he thinks he can drink. He definitely is improving, but not as fast as we would like. Praying still for a full recovery. He did get mad at me earlier because I stopped petting him so I could change the tv channel. Lol

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

LR (10-12-2017), Nancy in New York (10-12-2017)

Here's a picture of Rocky enjoying his new bed with our dog Tasha. We had to get him his own because he kept going into Tasha's bed. Tasha did not like that one bit. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  101.5 KB

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky102014 from:

LR (10-12-2017)

Need some advise. Rocky is eating pretty good as far as I can tell for him. He can move from his bed to his smaller house in his cage. I still have to hand feed him and use the syringe for water. He is still sleeping a lot. Seems he only wakes up for me to feed him. He is stronger and moves a bunch when I put him in my lap. He does this only because he wants back in his bed to sleep. Should I be concerned? He has only been on the calcium for two weeks. By the protocol for MBD it says to drop calcium to 100 on third week. My concern is that I may over dose him or under dose him. This is tuff!! I just want to do wants right for him.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky102014 from:

LR (10-12-2017)

So Nancy, what ever became of Krista? I read a bunch about her and got tied of reading? Very cute squirrel. Reminds me of Rocky when we first got him. Lot of baths because he was totally paralyzed at first. Took awhile for him to trust me. I made a dome around his stairs so he wouldn't fall off the sides. Had to use very thin clear plastic from a picture poster frame. This way his paws wouldn't get caught in the wire. Also put the plastic around the whole cage. His arms don't move so when he scoots around the side of the cage his paw would get stuck.

Krista passed one day. Just out of the blue, no warning.
    island rehabber came home and found her gone.

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (10-12-2017), LR (10-14-2017), Rocky102014 (10-12-2017)

Unhappy Re: MBD

Update on Rocky: For the first time today since we found out he has MBD, he got out his bed and ate from his bowl.
    Last night was the first time he stayed awake for a few hours! Rocky is coming back! Thank you all for your help and advice. Although he is now not wanting the block at all. So PICKY, but I WILL WIN! .

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky102014:

cava (10-14-2017), LR (10-14-2017), Nancy in New York (10-14-2017)

Update on Rocky: For the first time today since we found out he has MBD, he got out his bed and ate from his bowl.
    Last night was the first time he stayed awake for a few hours! Rocky is coming back! Thank you all for your help and advice. Although he is now not wanting the block at all. So PICKY, but I WILL WIN! .

What a great update.
    Slow and steady and you and Rocky will win this one!

Try this.
    Take a couple of blocks and put them into a food processor.
    To that, add a couple of pecans.
    Then add some dry fox valley formula.
    Blend that together until it's fully ground up.
    After it's blended add a touch of baby organic applesauce,
    just enough to make it stick so you can shape it into a ball.
    Make them a little larger than a marble.
    Put them into the refrig and let them get cold, roughly about
    4-5 hours.
    I have put them in my freezer and served them that way too.
    Hope this will entice Rocky to eat his blocks.

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Rocky102014 (10-14-2017)

What a great idea Nancy! I really appreciate all the great ideas you guys are giving me. . I'm somewhat frustrated with Rocky when he refuses the different foods we try. Going shopping soon to find different veggies I thing he may like.

40. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky102014 from:

Nancy in New York (10-14-2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast