Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 15

    Default Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Hello again. I have been reading nutrition theads. Something that has come up several times is a link for a homemade squirrel block recipe. For some reason, I can't get the link to work.

    Could someone be so kind as to post the recipe? Or has it been removed for a reason?

    Thanks.
    Never forget that Squirrels are a lineman's best friend.

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nosetotail from:

    LR (10-03-2017)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,300
    Thanked: 12232

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    4skwerlz




    Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe

    Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe
    Makes approximately a 4-week supply for a 1-pound squirrel.

    Preheat oven to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

    Dry ingredients:
    80 g Pure Whey Protein Isolate for adult formula (for growth formula, use 160 g).
    130 g finely ground nuts (any kind; peanuts, pecans, or almonds work well)
    1/3 cup wheat flour (optional)
    1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    1 package (45 g) Henry's Healthy Vita-Mins*

    Wet ingredients:
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
    1/2 cup water, or a little more, as needed (this is for growth formula only; do not add water to the adult formula unless the dough is too dry when mixed)

    Instructions:
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

    Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until dough sticks together. It will be fairly dry, like pie crust dough. Wearing gloves or with your bare hands (oiled), press the dough down and then start to knead it. Once the dough forms a ball, place it onto a lightly greased surface and knead a few more times until smooth and uniform in color. Roll dough out into a roll or flatten into a square, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. While still warm, cut into 60 pieces with a sharp knife

    Allow the blocks to cool for at least 2 hours. Then place in zip-lock bags and store them in the fridge or freezer. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks. They will keep in the freezer for several months (unopened and with as much air as possible removed from the bag before sealing). Some squirrels enjoy eating them cold or frozen, but you can also put a cold block into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm it up.

    Feed 2-3 per day for a 1-pound (453 g) squirrel. Different squirrels will have different energy requirements.

    *If you want to make your own vitamin/mineral premix, please consult the Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals-Rats, or one of the standard nutrient profiles for rats, such as those used in commercial rodent blocks.

    Copyright 2009 Henry's Healthy Pet Foods, Inc.

    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    BuckysMommy (10-23-2019), FergieBoo (08-25-2020), LR (10-03-2017)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Thank you. As for the whey protein, should I use plain or vanilla which would probably have real or artificial sugar, or even high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener.

    Are dry roasted unsalted nuts ok?
    Do these usually work for picky eaters?
    Never forget that Squirrels are a lineman's best friend.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Louisiana Bayous
    Posts
    4,171
    Thanked: 1917

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosetotail View Post
    Thank you. As for the whey protein, should I use plain or vanilla which would probably have real or artificial sugar, or even high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener.

    Are dry roasted unsalted nuts ok?
    Do these usually work for picky eaters?
    I would only use the whey protein from Henry's. If you're talking about using human grade whey protein, here's a thread on it https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...t=whey+protein

    I can't comment on roasted nuts, I've only ever used them raw.

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

    LR (10-03-2017)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Thanks. I put together a batch last night using human grade to get me through until I place another order with Henry's.
    Never forget that Squirrels are a lineman's best friend.

  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nosetotail from:

    LR (10-03-2017)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    KARNATAKA
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    4skwerlz




    Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe

    Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe
    Makes approximately a 4-week supply for a 1-pound squirrel.

    Preheat oven to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

    Dry ingredients:
    80 g Pure Whey Protein Isolate for adult formula (for growth formula, use 160 g).
    130 g finely ground nuts (any kind; peanuts, pecans, or almonds work well)
    1/3 cup wheat flour (optional)
    1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    1 package (45 g) Henry's Healthy Vita-Mins*

    Wet ingredients:
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
    1/2 cup water, or a little more, as needed (this is for growth formula only; do not add water to the adult formula unless the dough is too dry when mixed)

    Instructions:
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

    Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until dough sticks together. It will be fairly dry, like pie crust dough. Wearing gloves or with your bare hands (oiled), press the dough down and then start to knead it. Once the dough forms a ball, place it onto a lightly greased surface and knead a few more times until smooth and uniform in color. Roll dough out into a roll or flatten into a square, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. While still warm, cut into 60 pieces with a sharp knife

    Allow the blocks to cool for at least 2 hours. Then place in zip-lock bags and store them in the fridge or freezer. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks. They will keep in the freezer for several months (unopened and with as much air as possible removed from the bag before sealing). Some squirrels enjoy eating them cold or frozen, but you can also put a cold block into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm it up.

    Feed 2-3 per day for a 1-pound (453 g) squirrel. Different squirrels will have different energy requirements.

    *If you want to make your own vitamin/mineral premix, please consult the Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals-Rats, or one of the standard nutrient profiles for rats, such as those used in commercial rodent blocks.

    Copyright 2009 Henry's Healthy Pet Foods, Inc.

    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928
    IF kept in a freezer, how many months can they last, without getting spoilt?

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    8,050
    Thanked: 10910

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    If kept frozen in an airtight bag or container, I would say 6 months or longer.

  12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    pradeep200417 (05-02-2019)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    KARNATAKA
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If kept frozen in an airtight bag or container, I would say 6 months or longer.
    I had another question.
    Instead of baking blocks,If I get the Henry s Vitamins and Henry's Protein powder and mix the proper dosage along with baby food and feed the Squirrel, would that be fine?

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    KARNATAKA
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If kept frozen in an airtight bag or container, I would say 6 months or longer.
    One more Question.
    I had ordered 2 Packets of Henry's Blocks.
    I have opened one block and have kept it in freezer. I give my squirrels the blocks from the freezer.

    The second packet I haven't opened it yet.
    Do I need to put the unopened pack also in the Freezer? Also they have those Oxygen Absorber packets inside. Do i need to store the unopened packet of Henry's Block along with the Oxygen Absorber packets inside of those packets, in a freezer?

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    102
    Thanked: 123

    Default Re: Homemade squirrel block recipe.

    Hi all!

    This might sound like a silly question but I'm not much of a baker and I started making this recipe to only just now realize that my baking powder is the double acting kind that lists "sodium aluminum sulfate' in the ingredients. There's no place close I can get something else nearby so late at night. Is there anything I can use to replace this ingredient? Baking soda maybe? Active yeast?? Again, I'm not much of a baker so I don't really know the difference between these things

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •