Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Dropping Like Flies

Unhappy Babies Dropping Like Flies

Good morning all. I am writing with a heavy heart this morning looking for possible answers as to what in the world is going on with my babies. I am a wildlife rehabber here in Conway, Sc and have recently taken in 5 baby greys following hurricane Irma. I've had the babies for about 3 weeks now. Two of the 5 are older than the other 3 by about 2 weeks. My two oldest just turned 5 weeks old and have opened their eyes. Upon receiving the babies I rehydrated them with clear pedialyte solution giving them small frequent offerings (about 1/2-1 cc very 30min-1hr for the little guys and about 1cc to the older ones). I offered this solution around the clock for 6 hrs as they were only taking small amounts. as they began taking larger amounts i spaced out offerings by about 2 hours. I did this around the clock for 12 hours then began to alternate feedings with esbilac puppy formula (mixed 2 parts bottled water to 1 part formula). The babies had a wonderful appetite, they were using the bathroom with 0 difficulty (soft stools mustard color), and were growing like little weeds over the next three weeks. Yesterday things took a turn for the worst. My older babies have been taking up to 3cc per feeding and my younger up to 2cc. I feed every 4 hours. I came home from work yesterday to feed the little boogers and my oldest male was in terrible condition. I was shocked bc that morning he ate fine, used the bathroom upon stimulation, he seemed just fine. when i came home he was limp and lethargic and he would occasionally twitch or make large sudden movements. it was breaking my heart bc the only thing i could think was that he looked like he was in pain. I immediately tried to hydrate him and he fought hard lapping up small amounts at a time. I gave him 2cc pedialyte (new pedialye not the same one i had when i got them lol i like to keep emergency supplies on hand). after he took the pedialyte he bounced back, began to try crawling, would actually open his eyes and lift his head. I put him back in their box and when i returned 30 min later he had already passed. right now i keep them in a box with tall sides, i keep the top of the box open for fresh air since the sides are tall enough that they cant get out. i lay fleece blankets in the bottom and i keep half of the box on a heating pad on med heat (the box is kinda thick so l compensate by using a higher setting) generally they all prefer the heated side over the cooler side. After that occured I immediately began to hydrate all babies by adding additional bottled water to their formula and supplementing pedialyte between feedings by at least an hour. When I woke up this morning another baby had passed. he showed no symptoms, had great appeitie at last feeding and voided. Is this bc of something i am doing wrong? could there be a sickness spreading? I worry that when i get home today there could be no more babies this morning the remaining three ate their diluted milk with great appetite. they have all voided and are resting comfortably in their box. someone please advise. Ive never had two babies pass in a 24hr period. and i am extremely worried for these little guys. i will post photos when i get home this afternoon. so that you can asses their size, etc. any advise is much appreciated.

Default Re: Babies Dropping Like Flies

basnellin,this is SO sad....I am very sorry for your loss of these babies.

One thing leaps out at me from your description of an otherwise very normal bunch of baby squirrels: the soft stools, mustard color.
    Did this continue, and is this the normal consistency and color of their poop?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

lennysmom (09-29-2017), Nancy in New York (09-29-2017)

Just a couple of questions.
    Do you have them in a cardboard box?
    If so, please move them out, it causes dehydration
    by sucking the moisture out.
    Just to make extra sure, is this the formula you are feeding.
    The powdered puppy esbilac with the third ingredient saying
    dried whey protein?
    There seems to be something going around with little ones
    having nasal congestion, either with clear snot, or with yellowish
    snot. I'm sure you would have mentioned this if this were the case.

What are the weights on your babies.
    I'm concerned with the amount of formula they are getting,
    but without knowing their weights, this seems like a small amount
    for 2 eyes opened babies.

" My older babies have been taking up to 3cc per feeding and my younger up to 2cc."
    I feed every 4 hours.

IF you feed round the clock, these older babies are only getting 18 cc's daily, correct?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

island rehabber (09-29-2017)

The amount of formula also jumps out to me.

I have 6 hurricane babies. All have open eyes.
    One was so small he was named Ghandi. You could count his ribs. He weighed 41g on intake. When I got him he weighed 71g and is STILL very small for an eye open baby. At his small size he is taking much more formula than 3ml. He is about 6-7 weeks old and I don't have a current weight but he is taking over 10cc per feeding.

3cc sounds way to little for eye opened babies.

Sorry for your loss.

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Coralreefer (10-01-2017), island rehabber (09-29-2017), lennysmom (09-29-2017), Nancy in New York (09-29-2017)

I do have them in a cardboard box. Ive never had an issue with cardboard until now apparently. however I will make that adjustment to a plastic bin ASAP. and I agree that my older babies are not taking enough formula. I use the esbilac liquid formula diluted with bottled water, I was unable to find powder when I got the little guys and they took the liquid great. I was worried that changing the diet to a different form may cause GI issues. But if that is not the case then I will change to powder. the soft stools have continued the same color and consistency since I got them. I figured with them taking liquid formula that it would make them have softer stool. What is everyone thinking? should i continue with hydration/change habitat/change to powder formula? I will provide weights on babies with pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by basnellin View Post
    I do have them in a cardboard box. Ive never had an issue with cardboard until now apparently. however I will make that adjustment to a plastic bin ASAP. and I agree that my older babies are not taking enough formula. I use the esbilac liquid formula diluted with bottled water, I was unable to find powder when I got the little guys and they took the liquid great. I was worried that changing the diet to a different form may cause GI issues. But if that is not the case then I will change to powder. the soft stools have continued the same color and consistency since I got them. I figured with them taking liquid formula that it would make them have softer stool. What is everyone thinking? should i continue with hydration/change habitat/change to powder formula? I will provide weights on babies with pics soon.

The liquid formula does cause problems with digestion/diarrhea.
    I would do all of the above.
    Change their habitat, change their formula and continue with hydration,
    of warm water with a touch of honey for taste.

The deep plastic bins are much better. Put lots of fleece in and the heating
    pad under set on low.
    Do you have other animals? I'm only asking because if the bin is deep enough
    I leave the top off for better air circulation. BUT I have no other animals so there is
    no concern with leaving the top off.
    I make sure the bin is deep enough, and the fleece isn't piled too high for them
    to crawl out.

EDIT: When switching to the dried puppy Esbilac make sure that you use HOT water.
    Whisk it good and let it set in the refrig for several hours whisking occassionally so that
    it all dissolves.
    You can actually make up larger batches, let it sit like mentioned above, and then freeze it
    in ice cube trays or small containers.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (09-29-2017), lennysmom (09-29-2017), missPixy (09-30-2017), stepnstone (09-29-2017)

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this trouble. It sounds an awful lot like what many rehabilitators on the East Coast from South Carolina to Maine and other states experienced in 2008. The babies would come in growing normally, looking great, eating great, we would have had them for weeks, and then we find them in their bins and cages lethargic and dying. I still have many emails from rehabilitators working together who were trying to figure this out.

Through necropsies and lab tests it was determined that it was a deadly mycotoxin. It spread like wild fire and did exactly what you described. It was treated with an antibiotic. It was extremely resistant to most antibiotics. It was thought to have been connected somehow to all the rain we had had that spring. I would have to look at my notes to see exactly what the cultures and sensitivities recommended. But I am afraid that doesn't mean that the same antibiotic will work in this case. I believe the antibiotic was amikacin. I will have to check my notes to be sure. The Center where I volunteered lost all but 11 of the 400 baby squirrels that they took in. And the next year there were only about 20 squirrels that came into the center. The problem was it had about a three week incubation period. Even at the biggest centers it would be hard to quarantine baby squirrels coming in for three weeks. It was heartbreaking.

I am at work now but when I go home this evening I will look to see what I can find and post if I find anything that I think might help. I do hate do you think this could be a mycotoxin.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (09-29-2017), missPixy (09-30-2017)

oh my, this is not good news for I have an adult flyer that is a non release due to amputation. if this is the case can this be spread to her?!?!?!?! im really freaking out now bc she my baby! and i would just die if anything happened to her. where can i find this antibiotic? my vets office? and how would i adjust it for weight? i understand you are at work so i will wait patiently for your response. also while im waiting for the formula to set in the fridge/dissolve for a few hours should i only give the water with honey and d/c the liquid completely? will they be ok to wait for a feeding that long? also i do not have other pets. i appreciate everyones time who has looked at and responded to my thread. you all have no idea how much help you all are!!

I don’t not believe it is contagious in the normal sense, it is often found in food like acorns and ingested. However, you should control humidity and lot allow it to get too high (over 45-50%) to inhibite fungus colony growth.

Just to be sure, I would discard any existing formula, suppliments etc and start fresh. POWDERED esbilac puppy formula, Fox Valley 20/50 are often used (I like a 50/50 mix of esbilac and 20/50. Do an extra heavy duty cleaning of other supplies like syringes, mixing bottles, water bottles, bowls etc.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (09-29-2017)

I would not give them honey water. It does not have any electrolytes. These babies get severely dehydrated in no time and they need electrolytes to be able to stabilize the dehydration.
    Don't panic yet. I'm not sure this is what you are dealing with but if you continue to lose babies in the same way I would try to have necropsies and culture and sensitivities done on anything that might be found so you will know how to treat this.

I would remove the flyer until you are sure what you were dealing with. Better to be safe than sorry. Talk later.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

island rehabber (09-29-2017)

I think if your babies are due for a feeding, there's no reason to hold them off while the formula sets. Leaving it to set for a few hours is ideal, but not mandatory. Just make sure it is mixed really well before pulling it up in the syringe. Liquid formula causes loose bowels.

I got some Irma babies and we have been battling clear nasal discharge, as well as exposure to coccidia. Who knows what the wind from a hurricane whips around and brings in from all parts of its previous path! Be on the lookout for any other changes.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (09-29-2017), Nancy in New York (09-29-2017), UDoWhat (09-29-2017)

thank you all for your responses. i will continue to hydrate with pedialyte, change habitat and clean everything thoroughly, and change to better suiting formula. i appreciate everyones time and will continue to update you all on their progress

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to basnellin:

cava (09-29-2017), UDoWhat (09-29-2017)

thank you all for your responses. i will continue to hydrate with pedialyte, change habitat and clean everything thoroughly, and change to better suiting formula. i appreciate everyones time and will continue to update you all on their progress

Do your babies appear dehydrated?
    Have you done the pinch test to see if their skin stays tented?
    If not, I would just offer water in between with a touch of honey for taste.
    Electrolytes are lost through vomiting, sweat and diarrhea.
    Do NOT keep them on pedialyte for more than 24-48
    hours.
    Remember Esbilac also contains electrolytes, as many foods do.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 09-30-2017 at 05:57 AM.

I did the pinch test this morning and the oldest baby appears to be fine. the two younger ones do appear a little dehydrated bc their skin stays tented for more than 2 sec

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to basnellin from:

UDoWhat (09-30-2017)

I did the pinch test this morning and the oldest baby appears to be fine. the two younger ones do appear a little dehydrated bc their skin stays tented for more than 2 sec
    Then I would give the ones who tents a couple of feedings of Pedialyte in between the formula feedings.
    The oldest baby you can just do some plain water or add a touch of honey for taste.
    I'm only suggesting this since they were in cardboard box.
    After the switch it probably won't be necessary, but
    watch for dehydration anyway for a while with the pinch test.

Also if you do have other animals and need a top on the bin, remember to put TONS of holes in the top.
    Actually a member did a bin with a cut our hole with hardware cloth over. Let me find the photo and
    I will post it.

Here's the bin I was talking about.
    This is a little on the shallow side but her little one
    had back end paralysis for a while.
    See how the top is cut and the hardware cloth attached?
    This way you don't need to drill holes and you can hang
    little toys from the top.

Name:  IMG_9451.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  77.4 KBName:  IMG_7621.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  52.4 KB

THANK YOU NANCY IN NEW YORK. I WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THE HYDRATION SITUATION. I HOPE THAT IS ALL THIS IS. AND I GOT THE PICS. THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL! WOW I NEVER KNEW THAT CARDBOARD COULD DO SO MUCH DAMAGE TO THESE LITTLE GUYS. POOR LITTLE FELLAS. HOW MANY CC DO YOU RECCOMEND AT EACH HYDRATION SESSION?

THANK YOU NANCY IN NEW YORK. I WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THE HYDRATION SITUATION. I HOPE THAT IS ALL THIS IS. AND I GOT THE PICS. THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL! WOW I NEVER KNEW THAT CARDBOARD COULD DO SO MUCH DAMAGE TO THESE LITTLE GUYS. POOR LITTLE FELLAS. HOW MANY CC DO YOU RECCOMEND AT EACH HYDRATION SESSION?
    I would give them what normally give them at a feeding.
    5-7% of their body weight is fine, or less.
    The hydration won't stick with them like formula, but if you
    see a decrease in their formula intake at feeding time than drop the hydration back.
    These little ones may have more problems than just the cardboard.
    We need to get their formula intake up as well.
    Fingers crossed those are the only problems.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 04-14-2019 at 07:22 AM.

The remaining babies seem to be doing ok for now. im having trouble trying to upload my pictures but im working on resolving that issue. ive set them up in a plastic storage bin with blankets and the heating pad under on low setting. they took hydration fluid really good. so im hoping for the best.

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to basnellin:

cava (09-29-2017), Jen413 (09-29-2017), Nancy in New York (09-29-2017)

basnellin, believe it or not this was the first chance since this morning that I have had to check in on TSB -- I'm so sorry I dropped the ball but you have TSB's best and brightest helping you here, anyway. What I was concerned about with the mustardy mushy poops was,......coccidia. It is present in all squirrels' bodies but raises its ugly, stinky head when they are stressed or otherwise compromised -- like losing their mom in a hurricane! Coccidia must be treated with either baycox, or most recently Ponazuril-- very effective. Coccidia is also highly contagious. Poops will be yellow-mustard in color, mushy, and with a sickeningly sweet odor. Hoping that's not what they've got.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast