Thread: UTI Help please - penis swelling again

Default UTI Help please - penis swelling again

I took in a 5 week old baby squirrel last Sunday. He had an very swollen red penis with a scab on the end. I soaked in warm water and got the scab off. Then rubbed & rubbed to get him to urinate. I had to do this each time I fed for the first two days. Now the redness is gone & the scab is not coming back. Tuesday night he urinated on his own for the first time and then he did not stop urinating. He had a constant drip & a very strong odor for 24 hours. Way stronger than normal squirrel urine. This morning his penis was swollen again and I had to almost milk the little guy to get him any relief, soaking in warm water didn't help. I started Cipro last night. He also just doesn’t seem active enough. Most at this age will explore a bit & will try fruit or vegetables. He does nothing but sleep & take formula when I wake him. Today I have been giving him Cranberry juice 100% natural no sweetners in addition to his formula. He also ate a pecan today!!! Does anyone have any other suggestions? All help is appreciated!!

Default Re: UTI Help please - penis swelling again

http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_r...ions_lower.php See Fig. 1

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/u...s_figure_1.php link to Fig 1

The 2nd link is to the case study of a male rat who had UTI infection, that had the same issue as your boy, including the dripping of urine after he scab and a waxy plug in the urethra was removed. The condition was treated with a number of meds, one of which was medicam to reduce inflammation. Though it took a bit of time to knock down the infection, the rat recovered fully. For any questions on the dosages for squirrels for the meds used, please check with one of the rehabbers on the board.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

ConroeTX (09-28-2017), LR (09-28-2017)

Hi there, I see you started another thread and Nancy gave you dosing instructions for Cipro. You started that yesterday, right?

Just to cover some stuff: You mentioned some food related things that are inappropriate for his age. Right now he should be getting formula throughout the day as his source of food. It is nutritionally complete and offers hydration as well. No veggies or nuts yet. You would want him to be eating a rodent block regularly first, which you are welcome to introduce to him now.

What formula are you using? How are you feeding (with what?)

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (09-28-2017), Nancy in New York (09-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Hi there, I see you started another thread and Nancy gave you dosing instructions for Cipro. You started that yesterday, right?

Just to cover some stuff: You mentioned some food related things that are inappropriate for his age. Right now he should be getting formula throughout the day as his source of food. It is nutritionally complete and offers hydration as well. No veggies or nuts yet. You would want him to be eating a rodent block regularly first, which you are welcome to introduce to him now.

What formula are you using? How are you feeding (with what?)
    Yes, I had another thread but I thought it was probably in the wrong spot so I started this one. I'm just learning to use the board. I apologize. I'm feeding Esbilac with prebiotics and probiotics with a syringe. He will have nothing to do with the rodent block, I have offered it.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

cava (09-28-2017)

His penis was not swollen this morning!!! YAY!! He ate well and urinated a pooped afterwards with rubbing with a q-tip wet with warm water. He even took a rat block. I put a little formula on the end to make it interesting but be would naw on it as long as I held if for him. When I put him in his bed he didn't bother to take it with him. But progress still! It is his third day on antibiotics.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

lennysmom (09-29-2017)

Fantastic update, thank you for letting us know.