Thread: New aggression

Beloved Guest

Question New aggression

My babe is just over a year old, he had became a picky eater. only eating nuts, seeds, and seeds. Obviously that's not a well rounded diet and I was concerned about potential health concerns that could develop. I followed a plan to switch him to a healthy diet, and he took to the switch fairly well. He's been eating more of his vegis which I'm very happy about, I thought he wouldn't take to them so well. However he's been getting increasingly aggressive and trying to chew thru drawers where he knows I keep treats. He has bit me a few times pretty hard when I tried to stop him from trying to get into the drawer. Other times he's my sweet playful baby boy. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beloved from:

LR (09-26-2017)

Beloved Guest

Default Re: New aggression

That was supposed to say nuts, seeds, and fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
    My babe is just over a year old, he had became a picky eater. only eating nuts, seeds, and seeds. Obviously that's not a well rounded diet and I was concerned about potential health concerns that could develop. I followed a plan to switch him to a healthy diet, and he took to the switch fairly well. He's been eating more of his vegis which I'm very happy about, I thought he wouldn't take to them so well. However he's been getting increasingly aggressive and trying to chew thru drawers where he knows I keep treats. He has bit me a few times pretty hard when I tried to stop him from trying to get into the drawer. Other times he's my sweet playful baby boy. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated!
    As well you should be! feeding nuts and seeds is serving to rob a captive/kept squirrel's body of needed calcium, fruit serves no purpose, veggies alone are not going to replace or give him the calcium or complete nutrition he needs. He should have been and needs to be on a good quality rodent block. I'm assuming with all the nuts seeds he's eaten and grown accustomed to he hasn't been or wouldn't be eating block.
    I'm attaching the healthy diet, I seriously recommend getting him on a healthy diet that serves his daily nutritional requirements. The Henrys block for picky eaters would be a good alternative to replace his craving for nuts.
    ...And yes squirrels do tend to get aggressive when it comes to nuts, it's not unusual behavior. Personally I'd remove them.

The Healthy diet for squirrels: Click on link...

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-26-2017 at 01:14 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

ClemC5 (09-26-2017), Grinderhead (09-26-2017), LR (09-26-2017)

Beloved Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    As well you should be! feeding nuts and seeds is serving to rob a captive/kept squirrel's body of needed calcium, fruit serves no purpose, veggies alone are not going to replace or give him the calcium or complete nutrition he needs. He should have been and needs to be on a good quality rodent block. I'm assuming with all the nuts seeds he's eaten and grown accustomed to he hasn't been or wouldn't be eating block.
    I'm attaching the healthy diet, I seriously recommend getting him on a healthy diet that serves his daily nutritional requirements. The Henrys block for picky eaters would be a good alternative to replace his craving for nuts.
    ...And yes squirrels do tend to get aggressive when it comes to nuts, it's not unusual behavior. Personally I'd remove them.

The Healthy diet for squirrels: Click on link...

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    He is already on Henry's healthy diet for squirrels I followed the diet plan. One healthy block in the morning, some wild food from outside like dandelion greens and what not. He eats a spring mix for lunch then another squirrel block for dinner. He had been eating other squirrel blocks from day one but then became picky and would only eat "treats and desserts" it's been about 2 weeks on the diet he was doing so good with the change at first until this new found aggression. He's only aggressive when I'm trying to keep him from getting into drawers where he know I store treats.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beloved from:

stepnstone (09-26-2017)

Beloved Guest

I should have been more clear about his current diet. Nuts were a rare treat to begin with, and I've basically eliminated them from his diet. His problem is mostly with seeds and fruit. He took to the Henry's healthy blocks very well, I didn't think he would. He also has always had some kind of squirrel block in his diet. I got frustrated and switched to this diet when he stopped eating his previous squirrel blocks. Now I just need to know how often and how much treats I should give him. I had been rewarding him with treats after he had eaten his blocks and salad. Then the whole attacking me thing started when I'd be reaching into a drawer that had treats in it, or trying to keep him from chewing through the drawer. It's sad because they are so smart but he knew he hurt me and has been resulting to trying to bite when he doesn't get his way.
    Thank you stepnstone for the reply if you or anyone else has any other helpful info I'd greatly appreciate it.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beloved from:

LR (09-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
    I should have been more clear about his current diet. Nuts were a rare treat to begin with, and I've basically eliminated them from his diet. His problem is mostly with seeds and fruit. He took to the Henry's healthy blocks very well, I didn't think he would. He also has always had some kind of squirrel block in his diet. I got frustrated and switched to this diet when he stopped eating his previous squirrel blocks. Now I just need to know how often and how much treats I should give him. I had been rewarding him with treats after he had eaten his blocks and salad. Then the whole attacking me thing started when I'd be reaching into a drawer that had treats in it, or trying to keep him from chewing through the drawer. It's sad because they are so smart but he knew he hurt me and has been resulting to trying to bite when he doesn't get his way.
    Thank you stepnstone for the reply if you or anyone else has any other helpful info I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I'm glad to hear you have been feeding block!
    What kind of "seeds" have you fed him? Seeds of any kind are discouraged, not good for them! I would definitely stop feeding them to him at all!
    What type of nut do you give him?
    There is a difference in nuts with the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Hazelnuts and Almonds are two of the better ones to offer.

Personally as I said I would remove the treats from the drawer and I would allow him to see they are no longer there!
    Further I would keep them in a place he does not know where or have any access to. You having that "stash" in the drawer has become his stash and like any normal squirrel they will claim and protect their stash.
    Outside allowing fruit, nuts for a treat should be limited to one as a treat, not as a reward for eating. When he wants to have an attitude and get aggressive put him in time out! Stick him in his cage and shut the door! Yes, squirrels are smart and eventually he will get the message.
    I also hope you are being diligent at checking his cage for "food stashes." They are also extreamly smart enough to realize when being "rewarded" for eating their block they can stash it, make it disappear, and still get their treat.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (09-26-2017), LR (09-26-2017)

Beloved Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I'm glad to hear you have been feeding block!
    What kind of "seeds" have you fed him? Seeds of any kind are discouraged, not good for them! I would definitely stop feeding them to him at all!
    What type of nut do you give him?
    There is a difference in nuts with the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Hazelnuts and Almonds are two of the better ones to offer.

Personally as I said I would remove the treats from the drawer and I would allow him to see they are no longer there!
    Further I would keep them in a place he does not know where or have any access to. You having that "stash" in the drawer has become his stash and like any normal squirrel they will claim and protect their stash.
    Outside allowing fruit, nuts for a treat should be limited to one as a treat, not as a reward for eating. When he wants to have an attitude and get aggressive put him in time out! Stick him in his cage and shut the door! Yes, squirrels are smart and eventually he will get the message.
    I also hope you are being diligent at checking his cage for "food stashes." They are also extreamly smart enough to realize when being "rewarded" for eating their block they can stash it, make it disappear, and still get their treat.
    Thank you so much for advice. I will check his cage and make sure he's not stashing and I will move the treats to another location he can't get to. He eats sunflower seeds and almonds mostly for treats. Also good to know I will be giving him treats much less often, for good behavior occasionally but not as a reward for eating his other food.
    Thank you again!!!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beloved from:

LR (09-26-2017)

Linked below is a forum that you should look over, it has a chart that explains/shows Calcium-to-Phosphorus-Ratios.
    When you get to the "nut section" on the pdf chart you can see by the high Phosphorus in sunflower seeds why they
    need to be avoided.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...osphorus+ratio
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

LR (09-26-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.