Thread: Advice please

Default Advice please

So my boys are 8 1/2 weeks old and from 270g-320g someone told me they should be eating 4 times a day but I'm having trouble getting them to eat 4 times at the right amount of formula! Can I drop down to 3 times day? They eat very good in the morning and one of the 2 night feedings but the other times I always have at least one squirrel that doesn't want to eat at all or only takes 9-12ml sometimes as little as 3ml and refuses to take any more they do have rodent blocks but im not quite sure if they are eating them or chewing them into pieces

Default Re: Advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Alvinsimonandtheodore View Post
    So my boys are 8 1/2 weeks old and from 270g-320g someone told me they should be eating 4 times a day but I'm having trouble getting them to eat 4 times at the right amount of formula! Can I drop down to 3 times day? They eat very good in the morning and one of the 2 night feedings but the other times I always have at least one squirrel that doesn't want to eat at all or only takes 9-12ml sometimes as little as 3ml and refuses to take any more they do have rodent blocks but im not quite sure if they are eating them or chewing them into pieces
    Yes you can cut back to 3x.
    You will want them to be eating their block and eating it well before introducing other solid foods.
    Which kind/type rodent block are you feeding?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Alvinsimonandtheodore (09-25-2017), cava (09-25-2017), lennysmom (09-25-2017), LR (09-25-2017)

I know I'm not feeding any other food just formula and kaytee blocks for now until I'm positive they are eating them just wanted to make sure it was okay to cut back to 3x a day on the formula because they arent taking it 4x and I figured since its all of them refusing it that its not because they are sick

So 8am 3pm and 10 pm does that sound like a good schedule??

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alvinsimonandtheodore from:

redwuff (09-25-2017)

Great. And in a week cut back to two times. Have you had that baby yet?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Alvinsimonandtheodore (09-25-2017)

Only feed 2x a day at 9 weeks? Won't they be really hungry if I'm not feeding anything else? And not yet anytime now I only have 30 days left...I'm kinda worried about what to do with my squirrels while I'm in hospital because I can't bring them with lol and non of my family knows how to feed

Name:  20170925_152420.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  69.8 KB this is Simon my biggest hes coming in at 230gs im so in love with these little creatures

Simon is such an adorable little guy! I find it impossible not to fall head over hills in love with these little ones. And once you have your heart stolen by these precious little fuzzers, you are never quite the same.
    Hopefully Simon will be stating to eat his solids well here soon and once he does you will be feeding less formula because he won't want as much. I'm not sure about the kaytee blocks, but my babies have always weaned well on the Henry's blocks which you can order here : www.henryspets.com
    If he is eating solids well it will be much less of a worry to you while you are in the hospital.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Alvinsimonandtheodore (09-25-2017), Nancy in New York (09-25-2017)

Only feed 2x a day at 9 weeks? Won't they be really hungry if I'm not feeding anything else? And not yet anytime now I only have 30 days left...I'm kinda worried about what to do with my squirrels while I'm in hospital because I can't bring them with lol and non of my family knows how to feed
    You have a unique situation than what most people dealing with baby squirrels have. Most of us are not going to go have a baby. Your precious sweet squirrel babies are going to be at an age where they will not easily tolerate any stranger handling/feeding them. If I were you I would have been gearing them to be weaned slightly early to accommodate your delivery. Weaning early is not ideal, but sometimes necessary! It sounds like they eat block well? If that is so, then you are good. Most likely, if you feel up to it after babies birth, they probably will still take formula. You might also see if they will drink formula out of a dish. It is pretty funny and pretty messy. Hope your delivery is smooth.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Are you only feeding formula? I thought a while back I had seen that they all were eating block. If you are not feeding block you need to get busy. Block is really your insurance .
    redwuff
    State Licensed

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

I know I'm not feeding any other food just formula and kaytee blocks

This below was just posted in another thread.
    Unfortunately not all blocks are created equal so it does
    matter which ones you feed.
    I only feed the HHB's along with their veggies daily, according to the
    food pyramid.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    I get the picky blocks and they actually eat them. You only need 2 a day, as
    I said this is in addition to the healthy veggies.

https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Unfortunately, while Kay-Tees are the most easily available rodent block, they are not the best. Mostly they're made of corn. Try ordering Teklad Growth formula 2018 on Amazon, or the Ox-Bow for rats, or even Zupreem primate chow. All have higher nutritional value.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Alvinsimonandtheodore (09-25-2017), lennysmom (09-25-2017)

Okay makes sense I didn't think they would be up to anyone else handling them because I have been the only one and yeah I give blocks and I see them chewing on them but when I clean cage there is an awful lot of shavings in there so I'm not sure if they are eating them or just chewing them up If I can leave a bowl of formula or a little feeder of it that would be ideal just didn't know if that was okay I should only be gone a day or so if all goes well

I do plan on continuing to feed formula after birth if they will take it I can't abandon my fur babies and I heard the formula prevents bone diseases

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alvinsimonandtheodore from:

lennysmom (09-25-2017)

I do plan on continuing to feed formula after birth if they will take it I can't abandon my fur babies and I heard the formula prevents bone diseases
    Yes keeping them on formula is their insurance against Metabolic Bone Disease.
    So glad you are keeping them on formula.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Alvinsimonandtheodore (09-25-2017), lennysmom (09-25-2017)