Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pneumonia Question. How is my baby girl doing?

Default Re: Pneumonia Question. How is my baby girl doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Okay, based on what I just saw in the first videos you posted you need Clavamox.

It looks like she's in the beginning stages of this new hot mess going around. Several of us have had cultures done and they seem to be coming back indicating Escherichia Coli and Enterococcus Faecalis.

Generally Amoxicillan would be a good med, but due to the E-Coli vets and labs seem to be indicating that Baytil and Clavamox stacked for treatment.

This is going on from Florida clear up to Canada and as far west as Mississippi (as of now).

I strongly suggest you get Clavamox or Augmentin and keep her on the Baytril. The dosing for the Baytril was rounded up to 100 grams and she is currently 95 so the dose would remain the same.
    okay so what would the dosage be for clavamox and augmentin depending on the pill mg. I don't know what my source has he is busy till after 8 so id have to call then and he likes to know the dosage before allowing me to pick it up. I can tell you what he has after but it'd be helpful if you could tell me what it would be for her weight for different mg there are.

how long do I keep her on the baytril? todays day 7

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    okay so what would the dosage be for clavamox and augmentin depending on the pill mg. I don't know what my source has he is busy till after 8 so id have to call then and he likes to know the dosage before allowing me to pick it up. I can tell you what he has after but it'd be helpful if you could tell me what it would be for her weight for different mg there are.

how long do I keep her on the baytril? todays day 7
    Oh jeez, here we go again. Meds are dosed on BW of animal AND the strength of the med. I can't dose a med until I have both parts of the equation.

62.5mg = 0.032ml

any strength he gives you will be diluted to a strength of 62.5mg

For now, keep her on the Baytril until she's 5 days post clinical symptoms

EDIT: Also, do yourself a favor and pick up an infant nasal aspirator. CVS and RiteAid and Walgreens usually have them in the infant section. A commonly carried name brand would be Little Noses. One with a narrow curved tip would be best. She's probably going to develop a very very thick stringy white snot and you may need to suction her nose.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

cava (09-24-2017)

Oh jeez, here we go again. Meds are dosed on BW of animal AND the strength of the med. I can't dose a med until I have both parts of the equation.

62.5mg = 0.032ml

any strength he gives you will be diluted to a strength of 62.5mg

For now, keep her on the Baytril until she's 5 days post clinical symptoms
    okay then ill tell you the meds when I find out. what do you mean 5 days post clinical symptoms.

okay then ill tell you the meds when I find out. what do you mean 5 days post clinical symptoms.
    5 days post clinical = 5 days after she shows her last symptom of illness

She's going to be on the Baytril for the foreseeable future...at least the next 10-14 days

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

5 days post clinical = 5 days after she shows her last symptom of illness

She's going to be on the Baytril for the foreseeable future...at least the next 10-14 days
    okay so I might want to get more baytril to ensure I have enough.
    also is what she possibly going through contagious or dangerous to humans? will I get sick from her?

okay so I might want to get more baytril to ensure I have enough.
    also is what she possibly going through contagious or dangerous to humans? will I get sick from her?
    It is showing that it seems to be contagious to other squirrels (or they all came in with it at different stages). Enterococcus Faecalis is zoonotic so I would certainly be using best practices. Ie. wash your hands with hot soapy water after every contact, wash her syringe and nipple in hot soapy water after each use, wash all her bedding regularly with hot water, detergent and bleach, and as general rule wildlife should never be mixed with or have direct contact with domestic animals. E-coli is pretty wicked too.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

cava (09-24-2017)

It is showing that it seems to be contagious to other squirrels (or they all came in with it at different stages). Enterococcus Faecalis is zoonotic so I would certainly be using best practices. Ie. wash your hands with hot soapy water after every contact, wash her syringe and nipple in hot soapy water after each use, wash all her bedding regularly with hot water, detergent and bleach, and as general rule wildlife should never be mixed with or have direct contact with domestic animals. E-coli is pretty wicked too.
    oh boy. i dont even know if shes going to make it through the night

Clavamox gotten and dosed at 100 grams for 10-14 days. Baytril is to continue at current dose for duration of Clavamox.

Baby needs to be pottied and weighed EVERY morning before being fed. Baby should not lose weight and feeding amounts should increase gradually as weight increases. Feedings need to be done slowly and carefully as it will be very easy to aspirate her with all the sneezing.

This is a long hard illness to fight but babies are recovering on this treatment.

Back to feeding my kids see you all tomorrow!

Tori, how are you guys this morning? How did feeding go and what is her weight like today?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Milo's Mom (09-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Tori, how are you guys this morning? How did feeding go and what is her weight like today?
    her wheezing and is pretty bad. i just weighed her 99g. gonna feed her now. will let you know when i know

her wheezing and is pretty bad. i just weighed her 99g. gonna feed her now. will let you know when i know
    Do you have a nebulizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Do you have a nebulizer?
    no i dont. fed her 5cc. seemed eager to eat

What a beautiful baby! Praying for both of you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

tori_theanimallover (09-25-2017)

no i dont. fed her 5cc. seemed eager to eat
    Tori, without upsetting the proverbial applecart, I'm going to suggest that you VERY SLOWLY increase her feeding amount to 6%. She is burning through so many calories just to breathe right now I fear that even at 5% it's not going to be enough for her.

So, at 100 grams 6% would be 6cc per feeding. Currently you're feeding 5cc. At each of her next feedings feed her an additional 0.25cc so by the end of the day she'll be up to 6% of her body weight per feeding. Watch her poop to make sure it doesn't get soft (although it may due to the Clavamox). Just go slow and don't force her. If she doesn't want it, fine, try again at the next feeding.

Were you able to pick up the infant nasal aspirator I suggested yesterday?

And because I never say it enough....Good job Momma!

Tori, without upsetting the proverbial applecart, I'm going to suggest that you VERY SLOWLY increase her feeding amount to 6%. She is burning through so many calories just to breathe right now I fear that even at 5% it's not going to be enough for her.

So, at 100 grams 6% would be 6cc per feeding. Currently you're feeding 5cc. At each of her next feedings feed her an additional 0.25cc so by the end of the day she'll be up to 6% of her body weight per feeding. Watch her poop to make sure it doesn't get soft (although it may due to the Clavamox). Just go slow and don't force her. If she doesn't want it, fine, try again at the next feeding.

Were you able to pick up the infant nasal aspirator I suggested yesterday?

And because I never say it enough....Good job Momma!

ill go to cvs today and pick one up. I didn't notice any white snot just yet but I want to be prepared. and okay will do so thank you for all your help and advice. of course I don't want to force her but she was very happy when she saw the syringe earlier. and thank you I hope she survives. will keep you updated

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tori_theanimallover:

Milo's Mom (09-25-2017), TubeDriver (09-27-2017)

she seems to be doing better. labored breathing, sneezing and wheezing are still playing a roll but she seems much more energetic and not as lethargic. she has gained a good amount of weight she's up to 130g. I was wondering if I need to adjust her meds due to her weight. which is currently .035 Clavamox 2x a day and Baytril .2 2x a day. Also today is day 13 of baytril and day 7 of Clavamox

How is she doing? Typically, Antibiotics doses do not need to be adjusted due to weight gain. But in this case, she has gained almost 40g? Weight gain is a good sign! How much longer will she be on the ABs?

she seems to be doing better. labored breathing, sneezing and wheezing are still playing a roll but she seems much more energetic and not as lethargic. she has gained a good amount of weight she's up to 130g. I was wondering if I need to adjust her meds due to her weight. which is currently .035 Clavamox 2x a day and Baytril .2 2x a day. Also today is day 13 of baytril and day 7 of Clavamox
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Update?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Update?
    Hi sorry Pete was not on TSB yesterday. I weigh her every morning she's 161g as of this morning she is very active but she still has some wheezing sneezing and breathing isn't 100% today is day 17 of baytril .2 2x a day and day 11 of clavamox. Saturday will be day 20 for baytril and day 14 for clavamox when I was told to end. if she still isn't 100% by then what do you suggest I do? she climbs me like I'm a tree. her tail is getting puffy, ears are up, eating about 8-9cc per feeding and shredding Mazuri rodent blocks. haven't introduced other foods yet because everything I read said to wait until she was consistently eating the rodent blocks. she goes some days with not touching them at all. going to buy her cage soon. will post pics soon

Name:  IMG_6995.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  110.4 KBName:  IMG_5161.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  101.2 KB

Ember Babe

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tori_theanimallover:

cava (10-04-2017), LR (10-05-2017)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast