Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Feeding

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 89

    Default Feeding

    My Ember is 5 weeks old. She has aspiration pneumonia and has been on antibiotics since Monday the 18th. she is doing a lot better, active, eyes open, squeaks. But when I feed her she gags and has trouble catching her breath. I feed her extremely slowly and 1 cc takes me 10-13 minutes. Im trying to figure out how I can prevent this. I feed her at the right angle and slowly but she still does it sometimes with the smallest drop. is there anyway to prevent this or when she is feeling better and not sneezing anymore will it be easier for her to breathe and eat

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,984
    Thanked: 21576

    Default Re: Feeding

    Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    My Ember is 5 weeks old. She has aspiration pneumonia and has been on antibiotics since Monday the 18th. she is doing a lot better, active, eyes open, squeaks. But when I feed her she gags and has trouble catching her breath. I feed her extremely slowly and 1 cc takes me 10-13 minutes. Im trying to figure out how I can prevent this. I feed her at the right angle and slowly but she still does it sometimes with the smallest drop. is there anyway to prevent this or when she is feeling better and not sneezing anymore will it be easier for her to breathe and eat

    Take a look at this thread and see if this is what she's doing, watch the video.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=guppy

  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

    stepnstone (09-22-2017)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Feeding

    thank you so much. that makes me feel a lot better, I was getting so worried that her pneumonia would come back and I was doing something wrong

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,984
    Thanked: 21576

    Default Re: Feeding

    Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    thank you so much. that makes me feel a lot better, I was getting so worried that her pneumonia would come back and I was doing something wrong

    So it looks like she is doing the "guppy mouth"?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Feeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

    So it looks like she is doing the "guppy mouth"?
    absolutely I can try and record her doing it later so you can confirm its that

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,984
    Thanked: 21576

    Default Re: Feeding

    Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post
    absolutely I can try and record her doing it later so you can confirm its that
    Well if you saw the video and your little one is only doing this while feeding,
    I suspect that is exactly what you are seeing.
    It will scare the **** out of you unless you know it's just the "guppy" mouth.

  8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

    tori_theanimallover (09-22-2017)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Feeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Well if you saw the video and your little one is only doing this while feeding,
    I suspect that is exactly what you are seeing.
    It will scare the **** out of you unless you know it's just the "guppy" mouth.

    only when I fed her, yup. and it did my heart drops, I thought it was she couldn't breathe. I think you are right. thank you for all your help

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    20,328
    Thanked: 9656

    Default Re: Feeding

    I used to do my best Rod Serling voice when I fed my boy P - "We are now entering the Formula Zone." I think they are all individuals, but what worked with P was making him FOCUS and the best thing I found was to pull the nipple out of his mouth and bop him on top of the head with the syringe - not hard (!!) but just a new, unexpected stimulus to shake him out of that "zone" seemed to work and I would get him to nurse normally for a while before he started it again and got another head bop.

  11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

    stepnstone (09-22-2017), tori_theanimallover (09-22-2017)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Feeding

    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I used to do my best Rod Serling voice when I fed my boy P - "We are now entering the Formula Zone." I think they are all individuals, but what worked with P was making him FOCUS and the best thing I found was to pull the nipple out of his mouth and bop him on top of the head with the syringe - not hard (!!) but just a new, unexpected stimulus to shake him out of that "zone" seemed to work and I would get him to nurse normally for a while before he started it again and got another head bop.
    thats a good idea ill try that. thank you!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •