Thread: Squirrel Smell?

Default Squirrel Smell?

My boyfriend has been smelling a foul odor from our baby girl Ember that is nauseating him. she is 5 weeks old. I don't smell anything, I think she smells good. we are trying to figure out what the smell could be. do squirrels have a particular odor? does squirrel feces have a strong smell? could it be the esbliac formula that smells? we just wanna know what the smell is, so my boyfriend doesn't get nauseous anymore from it.

Default Re: Squirrel Smell?

It is likely the smell of formula pee - it is sweetish smelling in not a great way. Constant bedding changes are the only way to keep ahead of it. This is why I prefer using soft fabric like the microfleece - 3 or so times a day it gets yanked and dumped in the washer.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

tori_theanimallover (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It is likely the smell of formula pee - it is sweetish smelling in not a great way. Constant bedding changes are the only way to keep ahead of it. This is why I prefer using soft fabric like the microfleece - 3 or so times a day it gets yanked and dumped in the washer.
    okay thank you. will change bedding more frequently. does the smell get better with age?

Well, it gets different. That sweet smell is from the milk, though. As adults, hormonal changes will make changes to the smell, too. About 90% of the design features of my cages are designed around getting peed on stuff OUT and replaced frequently. I won't use sprays or litter with scents, etc. - it CAN'T be good for them, and I find that just getting rid of the stinky stuff as often as possible is the key.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

tori_theanimallover (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Well, it gets different. That sweet smell is from the milk, though. As adults, hormonal changes will make changes to the smell, too. About 90% of the design features of my cages are designed around getting peed on stuff OUT and replaced frequently. I won't use sprays or litter with scents, etc. - it CAN'T be good for them, and I find that just getting rid of the stinky stuff as often as possible is the key.
    okay thank you

Put a washcloth or folded paper towels in one corner. My guys usually will go to the different texture to pee. As she gets a little older, give her a litter pan--one of the corner kind with a wire top (put carefresh in it) or a tray from Chinese takeout with unscented cat litter in it. Most of my guys use a pan. Keeps things muuuuch cleaner.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

island rehabber (09-22-2017), LR (09-21-2017), tori_theanimallover (09-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Put a washcloth or folded paper towels in one corner. My guys usually will go to the different texture to pee. As she gets a little older, give her a litter pan--one of the corner kind with a wire top (put carefresh in it) or a tray from Chinese takeout with unscented cat litter in it. Most of my guys use a pan. Keeps things muuuuch cleaner.
    thank you that is a great idea