Thread: Concerned about salmonella

Default Concerned about salmonella

Hi. I am hoping someone can inform me of any health rush that I may be imposing upon my family by raising these two 10-12 week old babies. I have read that squirrels feces and urine can carry salmonella. I have been letting them get exercise until my husband finishes their outside cage, but as of now, they are inside. I have a 16 month old daughter that also, is free roaming..lol. should I keep the squirrels locked away until outside cage is built or is this risk not a true risk? Any imput appreciated. Thank you

Default Re: Concerned about salmonella

If that was true we would all be dead. Really no risk with salmonella. As always I would wash my hands after handling the squirrels. I would be way more concerned about the baby interacting with 10-12 week old squirrels, if she is. They can play hard and even bite a little too hard if scared or annoyed or just playing.

I have been a rehabiltator for 18 years and never once been sick from one of my squirrels. Even if I have been bitten to the bone I just make sure I treat the wound properly and cover the wound.

Thanks for for caring for these babies

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (09-20-2017), island rehabber (09-21-2017), stepnstone (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    If that was true we would all be dead.
    You aren't lying about that!!

Phew, two young squirrels and a 16 month old. You have your hands full.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (09-20-2017), stepnstone (09-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueyezatl View Post
    Hi. I am hoping someone can inform me of any health rush that I may be imposing upon my family by raising these two 10-12 week old babies.
    I have read that squirrels feces and urine can carry salmonella.
    Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    If that was true we would all be dead. Really no risk with salmonella. As always I would wash my hands after handling the squirrels.

Bad enough we have to go around and debunk rabies and convince people they won't die from being bitten, now it's salmonella??
    Honestly who writes this stuff! Moot point because it's no doubt "research" and not anyone who has actually interacted with squirrels to become educated that not all mammals are created equal. But my real money would be on some closet phobic that goes around shutting the blinds so they won't be exposed to the death rays of the sun.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I wanted to add my 2 cents to this. I am sure a great many types of feces can "carry" salmonella. This is why we wash our hands after we go to the bathroom. What is important to note is that the salmonella would need to come from somewhere. Squirrels don't create salmonella in their GI tract. And if the squirrel were infected with salmonella.. well it would be suffering the symptoms of food poisoning, just like a human... so you would definitely know...
    Sciurus meus amicum optimum est!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to niapet from:

island rehabber (09-21-2017)

Thank you guys so much for your input. My mom raised a baby when I was young and never remember getting sick. Lol. And no, 16 month old doesn't play with them but we all live in the same house and I let them get out and exercise in the house. Just wanted to see what ppl who have dealt with them had to say. Again, thank you! Great response time..

I also had a woman tell me last week that she heard squirrels carry salmonella in their feces. First time I had ever heard this one.

It's always a good idea, zoologically speaking, to wash your hands between species of animals, before you eat, after handling urine/feces/bodily fluids, when they are visibly dirty, if someone/something is sick, etc. You know, common sense hygiene.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

stepnstone (09-21-2017)