Thread: Lump on babies neck

Question Lump on babies neck

One of my 3 week old hurricane babies developed a lump on his neck today. He's 48g, on cipro and prednisone for pheumonia, has not been gaining weight. Its been touch and go since he came in. Any ideas what would cause this lump? (I am hoping these pics attach correctly)

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1264.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  86.8 KBName:  IMG_1265.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  75.0 KB

Default Re: Lump on babies neck

Quote Originally Posted by Oneocean View Post
    One of my 3 week old hurricane babies developed a lump on his neck today. He's 48g, on cipro and prednisone for pheumonia, has not been gaining weight. Its been touch and go since he came in. Any ideas what would cause this lump? (I am hoping these pics attach correctly)

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1264.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  86.8 KBName:  IMG_1265.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  75.0 KB

This lump came about within a 4 hr. period yesterday. It is on the side below his ear (about 1 cm) and wraps to the front of neck to where the trachea is. I'm afraid if it gets larger it is going to cut off his airway or not be able to breath. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? There is no dark spot like a typical bot - but could it be an early bot fly? (I've never seen one in young baby like this.... only on my adult post-release squirrels) If it is bot - can one this small and young survive it? If it's not bot - any ideas what could cause it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneocean View Post
    This lump came about within a 4 hr. period yesterday. It is on the side below his ear (about 1 cm) and wraps to the front of neck to where the trachea is. I'm afraid if it gets larger it is going to cut off his airway or not be able to breath. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? There is no dark spot like a typical bot - but could it be an early bot fly? (I've never seen one in young baby like this.... only on my adult post-release squirrels) If it is bot - can one this small and young survive it? If it's not bot - any ideas what could cause it?

So your saying that the lump just appeared within 4 hours?
    Is it soft?
    You see no opening?
    I really wished I had a suggestion, but not sure what
    I'm seeing.
    Is there ANY discharge from it?
    Would it be possible for a vet to look at this little one?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Oneocean (09-20-2017)

I have seen bots in mice. The bot was about the size of the mouse.

Can you move the lump around under the skin?

One thing you could do in your spare time is soak the lump in warm Edson salt. If it is an abcess, that might help form a head. If it is a bot, the warm compress won't hurt it.

My vote is a bot. Ugh....
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Oneocean (09-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

So your saying that the lump just appeared within 4 hours?
    Is it soft?
    You see no opening?
    I really wished I had a suggestion, but not sure what
    I'm seeing.
    Is there ANY discharge from it?
    Would it be possible for a vet to look at this little one?
    Yes,he was fine (other than recovering from the pneumonia) at the 12pm feeding and by the 4 pm feeding he had this big lump! It is very firm, there is a slight "give" to it more toward the front of the neck- which makes me think that there is fluid in it.

I see no spot or opening at this point, it is just a lump. I can try to look at him under a stereoscope- but he's quite the little squirmy guy, so I don't know that I can get him to stay still for that. Trying to get a picture was very difficult! It extends about 1cm below the ear and about 1.5-2 cm from the side to front of neck.
    There is no discharge
    My vet doesn't do squirrels, but there is another vet that does in the area - but I can't get there for a couple of days. (plus, since they don't know me, not sure how they deal with rehabbers they don't know??)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I have seen bots in mice. The bot was about the size of the mouse.

Can you move the lump around under the skin?

One thing you could do in your spare time is soak the lump in warm Edson salt. If it is an abcess, that might help form a head. If it is a bot, the warm compress won't hurt it.

My vote is a bot. Ugh....
    I'll try the moist warm compress and see if it helps. It doesn't move around under the skin - Very firm with just a slight "give" to it which indicates some fluid in it.

He's eating really well today in comparison to a couple of days ago, so the antibiotics and prednisone for the pneumonia are working. It seems like every time I get these 2 little ones stabilized, something else goes wrong....
    If its a bot - I am worried because of the location on his neck, and he's so small.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Oneocean from:

Rocky1 (09-20-2017)

Whether it is a bot or an abscess, the vet that sees squirrels should see this little guy. The cipro would do nothing against an abscess, so you can't disregard that as a possibility just because he is on meds. If it is, it will need to be emptied and cleaned out and his meds changed . And the vet can properly REMOVE a bot before it becomes big.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Rocky1 (09-20-2017), stepnstone (09-20-2017)

Could this be an enlarged lymph node?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

UDoWhat (09-20-2017)

It definitely could be any of the things mentioned. It is hard to tell. I remembered that redwuff had a 4 week old baby come in and about 12 days later she felt a lump come up quickly on the baby's back by her shoulder blade. She had not noticed anything on her baby for the almost 2 weeks she had been with her. Redwuff was so surprised when it turned out to be a bot. So it is possible that a bot can just come up without being all that noticeable. Not so sure about an abscess coming up in 4 hours but maybe. I definitely would soak with warm wet compresse. Unless you can see a Vet I guess it could be a waiting game. I am wondering with the situation in FL and so many needing care maybe another Vet might be talked into at least taking a look for you so you would know which direction to go in. Even try to talk your regular Vet into seeing this baby. After all he isn't treating a squirrel .... he is looking at a lump to see if he thinks it is an abscess or a bot on a mammal. The treatment is no different on a squirrel than a kitten or puppy.