Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injury

Default Injury

Hey everyone, new here!

A squirrel was brought to me who was involved in an accident and i could use some advice. I currently have an eyes closed baby squirrel I'm guessing to be around almost 5 weeks old. His foot was a snack to a small dog. Unfortunately the foot was not cleanly bitten off, it is chewed up. Anyone familiar with antibiotic dosages and can help assist me? Please feel free to privately message me and I can let ya know what I have on hand (which isn't much )
    Thanks for any advice!

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brittybich:

LR (09-21-2017), redwuff (09-19-2017)

Default Re: Injury

What do you have on hand? Baytril or (human version) Cipro is good for soft tissue or bone break.

He needs infant Motrin or Metacam for inflammation and pain. He needs to be warm dark and quiet. A sterilite container is a good bin to put him in with fleece or t shirt material. Enough so that he can hide under. No towels or loopy things to get nails caught. He really should be seen by a vet but you have to be careful that they don't confiscate. He needs a non automatic turnoff heating pad set on low under half of the bin. We need a wt to be able to dose any med.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

LR (09-21-2017)

The little guy is 105g. I have Cephalexin 250 mg capsules, amox 50mg/ml when reconstituted, baytril 22.7 mg tabs, and meloxicam 1.5 mg/ml. He should see a vet- I'm about 99% sure his foot would be amputated and I'm going to try to find someone to take him. Unfortunately I'm the 'go to' person when a rehabber can't be found. For my area it has apparently been a very busy 'baby season' for all different animals.

Ok, thanks for the background info on you. What is your level of experience ?

Let's get started on Baytril right now. Have you done any hydration? Do you have any pain meds?

Will send Baytril dosing in a pm
    redwuff
    State Licensed

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Brittybich (09-19-2017)

Dosing sent
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I did go to school a few years back for vet tech, never finished my last few months so I did not get my associates but I've been rehabbing the animals that no one has room for on and off for more than half my life. I know all the basics like the back of my hand, it's just the severe injuries in such small animals and medication dosing and I have no shame in reaching out for help. As far as pain medication goes- I have the meloxicam, bpx .3mg/ml, and 100mg novox. I do have him started on fluids

Is bpx bupenex? That would be great for pain. If it is let me see if I can find dosing. This for your info. You are a real gem
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Yes buprenex and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittybich View Post
    Yes buprenex and thank you.
    What is the strength?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Where in OH are you? I'm five minutes from Cincinnati. I would be willing to take him or help you. Other rehabbers, I have experience with puppies who had toes chewed off in a cruelty case. We were able to save a bunch tootsies using wet to dry dressings twice a day. Can that be done on this babe you think?

14. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Brittybich (09-20-2017), Milo's Mom (09-19-2017), Mommas Munchkins (09-19-2017), Nancy in New York (09-20-2017), redwuff (09-19-2017), TubeDriver (09-20-2017), UDoWhat (09-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Where in OH are you? I'm five minutes from Cincinnati. I would be willing to take him or help you. Other rehabbers, I have experience with puppies who had toes chewed off in a cruelty case. We were able to save a bunch tootsies using wet to dry dressings twice a day. Can that be done on this babe you think?
    I don't know what is happening with this baby but this is an amazing offer. Cava is one of our best and if you need help I wouldn't hesitate on this offer. She can help you and this little one.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

cava (09-20-2017)

I'm near cleveland! His leg is swollen and bit but will be okay and I do believe his foot will heal okay. It's broke but there's a chance for healing. As far as the tootsies... they are mangled. The toes can't be saved, not even with surgery. He's getting antibiotics, eating, and pottying wnl. You guys have been so great!

So glad to hear that he is hanging in there!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    So glad to hear that he is hanging in there!
    You and I both! Greatest feeling of relief is when you pull the fleece back for the first time in the morning and see that little chest moving.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Brittybich:

cava (09-20-2017), LR (09-21-2017), UDoWhat (09-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I have had animals with some nasty infections, puncture wounds, bites, gashes, and a coon with tootsies bitten clean off but never mangled toes. If you would like too put a visual to my description you are absolutely more than welcome to private message me and I can give ya my email to send a picture. I'm not very tech savvy so including a link or you tube/photo bucket and all that stuff is unfamiliar territory haha

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brittybich from:

UDoWhat (09-20-2017)

I sent you a pm with my email address. I also mentioned you and I can talk whenever you want and I'll help set you up with wound management protocol.

I am also willing to meet you half way (Columbus or above) if you want me to take him. I'm home most days and work around my rehabs, when I have them. I'm off until Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for caring for this little guy.

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Brittybich (09-20-2017), Jen413 (09-20-2017), LR (09-21-2017), Nancy in New York (09-20-2017), UDoWhat (09-28-2017)

Update: Brittybich sent me an email with photos of the foot. She feels confident she can care for it and she admits she's fallen in love with him. She has my FB, email and phone number if she has an emergency. I told her to stick around TSB for all of the other squirrelly questions she'll encounter (for the wealth of knowledge the rehabbers bring).

Baby is on Baytril and Metacam. Do you guys think she should give longer than normal while foot heals, change to another antibiotic, wait and see? She is also applying a topical antibiotic.

Name:  20170920_212715.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  97.6 KBName:  20170920_212819.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  108.3 KBName:  20170919_144713.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  119.9 KB

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (09-21-2017), UDoWhat (09-28-2017)

Wanted to stop by and give everyone an update on tippy toes. As of yesterday I discontinued the antibiotics and metacam. Should any sign of infection, swelling, or discomfort arise I will do another round. His swelling has gone down and his leg looks like it is healing nicely! His ankle looks broke and his tootsies are crispy but I'm praying the toes just naturally fall off so he won't have them in the way. I have learned a lot from yall in caring for an injury on such a teeny animal. Thanks for all the help. Cava seems to know how to post pictures to here so she can post current ones of the Injury or you can pm me your email and I can send them if anyone is interested!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Brittybich from:

LR (09-26-2017)

From yesterday:

Name:  22052990_1722801357754340_1015909065_n.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  74.9 KB

And one of the rest of him in a food coma.

Name:  22054646_1722805954420547_1548495483_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  81.5 KB

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Brittybich (09-28-2017), ClemC5 (09-28-2017), LR (09-28-2017), UDoWhat (09-28-2017)

Sorry if I'm supposed to start a whole new post for a different subject but just a silly question- no other animal I have rehabbed has had such specifics on solids to introduce first. I've had rodent block in with tippy for a awhile now and no other solids (started before his eyes opened). Looks like he has nibbled a bit but not much. The rodent block itself- should I be replacing it daily, weekly, just leave it until it's gone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast