Back ground: My squirrel Scrat has been doing very well until this week. He is 8 weeks old, and is eating some veg, some block, and is still getting 2-4 feedings a day. ( I give him as many as he will take of FV. Some days he's more willing than others.) I'm not sure how much liquid he is getting otherwise. He has a water bottle in his cage but I've never seen him use it, although we've tried to encourage him, even leaving his miracle nipple on the end. It is hard to know how much solid food he is eating, as most veg and block are 'nibbled' but nothing is really gone at the end of the day.

Questions:

1. I've done searches on this board, but haven't found any guidance on how much solid food I should expect him to eat at this age. Any thoughts?

2. Most importantly, once last week and again today, I found he was unable to poop. (Poor guy!) There was a lump of poop in his butt, which I originally thought was 'blocked' there by a dried poop matted in his fur, but now after the second occurrence today, I searched this board and found some posts about megacolon etc. which sounds a lot like what I am seeing here. (stretched out butt, has to be soaked with warm water and poop massaged out etc. A painful process for us both!) There are recommendations for pain relief (ibuprophen) stool softener (lactalose) and some creams for the angry redness on a the post I read. There are however NO MENTIONS of dosing or other instructions for ANY of this on that thread (even though the OP specifically asked for it) or on any of the other threads I've searched. Where can I find this info!?

3. Alternatively, there are vets in town (Columbus, OH) that do exotics, but this is an illegal state and I'm terrified they'll confiscate him and maybe even euthanize him. (a fear I acquired on this board BTW) I'm sure someone rehabs or clandestinely cares for squirrels near me, maybe they can recommend a 'safe' vet whom they are certain will treat and not confiscate? I'd rather not just take my (and Scrat's) chances with a Google pick. My own vet offered only the phone number of the ODNR.

Thank you all for any help or info you can offer. I am eager to help this boy who is suddenly so sore and fragile.

-M

PS. I have already enrolled in the first-step class to become a rehabber in Ohio. I'm looking forward to attending in November.

Here's the latest pic: I found a new nest!

Name:  New nest.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  113.0 KB