Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4-5 week old eastern grey squirrel. possible pneumonia!! HELP

Exclamation 4-5 week old eastern grey squirrel. possible pneumonia!! HELP

Hi on 9/14 at around 10-11pm I was running and saw a baby squirrel on the sidewalk. I examined her and saw a bloody nose and couldn't leave her there to die. I took my shirt and wrapped her in it and ran home. I put her in a shoe box with 2 t-shirts. I fed her a small amount homemade pedialyte with a syringe. I went to cvs and got a heating pad to keep her warm. The next day I gave her ensure and she loved it. Later that day I bought Esbliac Goat Milk and have fed her that since, I also got kitten tick and flea spray and spray some on my hand and on her and washed her in warm water, dried her and made she was warm while she dried and replaced the wet t-shirts repeatedly. She has grown, her eyes are still closed, she is active, she sleeps, she eats like a champ, she responds to my voice, she crawls all over me when I pick her up, she sleeps in my hand, but she does have a clicking sound and slight wheezing, and her breathing isn't smooth. her nose seems runny but every feeding which has been close to every 4-5 hours nothing has came out her nose. she even pees and poops on her own, I still stimulate her to go, just to be sure she is releasing everything. I believe she fell out of the nest and I don't know how long she was on her own. mom wasn't around, her nose and mouth is scabbing. I love her so much already I don't know what to do. I read that I should use amoxicillin if so, where can I get it and what brand should I use? Please help I don't want her to die, she's a gift sent to me.

Default Re: 4-5 week old eastern grey squirrel. possible pneumonia!! HELP

She still looks to be dehydrated! You need to get her out of that cardboard box, it will pull moisture from her.
    She needs the proper formula pictured below. Hydrated inbetween feedings, Should be fed between 6-7% of her body weight, having a scale to weigh daily in grams is essential! Needs to be fed every 4 hours.
    The recommended medication for pneumonia is Baytril (animal form) or Cipro (human form) Both are RX. Call around to family and friends and let us know what ab's you can come up with and we can advise IF it can be used, how to breakdown and dose. You would only need a pill or two.
    I'm also attaching the link to baby squirrel care. Eyes normally open at 5 weeks.

Correct formula:
    Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  65.8 KB

Link to baby squirrel care:
    Click on this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (09-18-2017), tori_theanimallover (09-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    She still looks to be dehydrated! You need to get her out of that cardboard box, it will pull moisture from her.
    She needs the proper formula pictured below. Hydrated inbetween feedings, Should be fed between 6-7% of her body weight, having a scale to weigh daily in grams is essential! Needs to be fed every 4 hours.
    The recommended medication for pneumonia is Baytril (animal form) or Cipro (human form) Both are RX. Call around to family and friends and let us know what ab's you can come up with and we can advise IF it can be used, how to breakdown and dose. You would only need a pill or two.
    I'm also attaching the link to baby squirrel care. Eyes normally open at 5 weeks.

Correct formula:
    Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  65.8 KB

Link to baby squirrel care:
    Click on this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Thank you so much. I don't think I have cipro but I found this site for baytril
    https://www.1800petmeds.com/product....BoCDsQQAvD_BwE

how many tablets will I need? and okay I will get her out of the cardboard box today. thank you so much I appreciate it. I want to do everything possible to help her. I'm also going to give her pedialyte the second I get home

You will probably need a prescription for that order. You can order Fish Flox (250mg or 500mg) which is generally the same thing.

http://www.allivet.com/p-5528-fish-f...SABEgILDfD_BwE

The 250mg is probably better.

Make sure she is nice and warm. You can also warm up the pedialyte too.

Quote Originally Posted by tori_theanimallover View Post

how many tablets will I need? and okay I will get her out of the cardboard box today. thank you so much I appreciate it. I want to do everything possible to help her. I'm also going to give her pedialyte the second I get home
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

tori_theanimallover (09-18-2017)

If you click on the RX info you will see you would still need a prescription to purchase. You need to check what you may have, call around and see what you can obtain.
    As stated you would only need a pill or two. If a baby does have pneumonia it takes them down and out fast! Time is always of the essence!
    Your baby also needs the correct formula, fed every 4 hours. She obviously is not getting the nutritionists needed and it shows.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

If you click on the RX info you will see you would still need a prescription to purchase. You need to check what you may have, call around and see what you can obtain.
    As stated you would only need a pill or two. If a baby does have pneumonia it takes them down and out fast! Time is always of the essence!
    Your baby also needs the correct formula, fed every 4 hours. She obviously is not getting the nutritionists needed and it shows.
    I will change what I have been doing. I've been doing the best I can with no previous knowledge. I think I can get baytril. how do I give it to her? crushed in formula? whole?

All you need is a single pill. If you get it, let us know the size of the pill and her current weight and we will provide exact dosing directions. Please don't administer it without the correct dosage directions, an overdose can kill.

I will change what I have been doing. I've been doing the best I can with no previous knowledge. I think I can get baytril. how do I give it to her? crushed in formula? whole?
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 09-18-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    All youneed is a single pill. If you get it, let us know the size of the pill and her current weight and we will provide exact dosing directions. Please don't administer it without the correct dosage directions, an overdose can kill.

okay I will of course. I don't want to do anything until I get it and get the information for you guys. again much appreciated

okay I will of course. I don't want to do anything until I get it and get the information for you guys. again much appreciated

i can get a 22mg tablet

Great! We need a weight? Typically people use a digital kitchen scale to get weight in grams.

i can get a 22mg tablet

-Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Great! We need a weight? Typically people use a digital kitchen scale to get weight in grams.

shes 94 g

Hi there. She sure is cute. I have seen many over the counter flea and tick problems cause neurological problems and even death in small or off species animals. I would comb her out if you suspect fleas, we can tell you how to use Capstar or Revolution, but don't put the over the counter stuff on her anymore. It can be really dangerous and it's obvious you love her.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

island rehabber (09-18-2017), tori_theanimallover (09-18-2017)

whats the dosage shes not doing well at all

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Hi there. She sure is cute. I have seen many over the counter flea and tick problems cause neurological problems and even death in small or off species animals. I would comb her out if you suspect fleas, we can tell you how to use Capstar or Revolution, but don't put the over the counter stuff on her anymore. It can be really dangerous and it's obvious you love her.

okay thank you ill be sure to ask you if need be to use those

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tori_theanimallover from:

cava (09-18-2017)

shes 94g how much do i give her and how. shes not doing well

someone please answer i cant stand to see her like this

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

someone please answer i cant stand to see her like this
    You need to tell us the strength of the med. Meds are dosed on bodyweight and strength of med. We know she's 94 grams...now we need to know the strength of the med.

If you have to drive 40 minutes to get the med, I'd start driving...

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    You need to tell us the strength of the med. Meds are dosed on bodyweight and strength of med. We know she's 94 grams...now we need to know the strength of the med.

If you have to drive 40 minutes to get the med, I'd start driving...
    I can't start driving until I tell the person the dosage I need. he told me he won't give it to me unless he knows the dosage first. he is in the animal field. 22.7 mg

I can't start driving until I tell the person the dosage I need. he told me he won't give it to me unless he knows the dosage first. he is in the animal field. 22.7 mg
    Is this in a pill or in suspension?
    Hold on I will also post a page from the WMB with a picture
    for dosing Baytril.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Nancyc it's a 22.7mg tablet.

I just sent the dose and breakdown for the tablet.

I don't have the how to read a syringe sheet you normally send.

40 minutes is a long time, START DRIVING! Info can be coming in while you're driving and by the time you get there you will have it all and the baby will get the meds as quickly as possible.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

cava (09-18-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast